Unlucky with injuries or buying injury prone players?

Our sports science, physiotherapy and player conditioning are showing how bad they are by the availability of young lads. We've also bought injured players, this isn't helping.

inability to reach peak condition and stay at peak condition will be a major factor in whether a young player gets the playing minutes needed to reach their full potential . We're fishing in that pond of players with question marks over them and a lack of playing time in the mens' game has to be properly understood before we take them on.

That is probably why Ba gets good minutes, he can be hit and miss (sometimes more miss) but he is agile and seems robust. Which like you say allows him to reach higher fitness peaks than others.

Always amazes me that Liverpool used to play 60 odd games a season regular when they ruled English football in the 70s and 80s, and the same team was played pretty much every game.

You could say the game is faster now, but with all the science involved, the diets, pristine pitches to play on, much less physicality, less games etc the amount of injuries is staggering, you just have to look at us and them up the road this season.

I'm sure last season some opposition managers were instructing their players to leave a foot in. Referees always let the first few fouls go. Ballard in particular was 4 months from the QPR game.

at the start of the season, it became obvious, that the only way some teams could handle the likes of Clark, Roberts or pritchard was to put 3 defenders on each of them at the appropriate time (obviously not all at once). They resorted to foul them and they each took it turn to foul them and try to take them out. at some games whole defensive lines were all booked. the worst that happened was they accumulated a number of yellows. With those tactics it was always a very serious chance that the flair players would be out injured. I was surprised that Clark lasted as long as he did.

Always amazes me that Liverpool used to play 60 odd games a season regular when they ruled English football in the 70s and 80s, and the same team was played pretty much every game.

You could say the game is faster now, but with all the science involved, the diets, pristine pitches to play on, much less physicality, less games etc the amount of injuries is staggering, you just have to look at us and them up the road this season.
Players are just more like a thoroughbreds than days gone by, everything will be monitored, so any little niggles can affect whether they play or not. Probably also true players don’t play thru injuries as much either and of course they aren’t getting cortisone jammed into them to keep playing regardless of injuries. Would have also been the culture just to man up and play, look at some of the states robson got into and kept playing
A lot of the old players will be hobbling round like cripples because of the way their bodies were treat while playing, even concussion wasn’t really seen as it is nowadays they just kept plodding through it

Last edited:
I think,one day,the experts will check on whether injuries are caused by alternating between playing on artificial pitches and playing on grass.
I know of one sports club that trained on a floodlit artificial pitch during the week and grass on the weekend with a high ratio of injuries.
The only assessments which seem to have been carried out is whether more injuries were found after playing on the artificial pitches - in contrast to playing on grass pitches.That is no longer relevant.

Possibilities:

clubs are running players too close to breaking point in search of that extra 5% performance.

Players have come through academy system rather than being toughened up playing with big cloggers on a Sunday or down the park?

Football boots offer no protection these days

Bigger faster players make harder collisions

Bloody snowflake generation ;)

Possibilities:

clubs are running players too close to breaking point in search of that extra 5% performance.

Players have come through academy system rather than being toughened up playing with big cloggers on a Sunday or down the park?

Football boots offer no protection these days

Bigger faster players make harder collisions

Bloody snowflake generation ;)
That may start to explain an increase in the game as a whole but not the fact we're getting more injuries than others.

Back