Valve factory in Sunderland

Have been buying a few old valves (aka radio valves/vacuum tubes) for an amplifier and stumbled across reference to a Mazda (not the car) valve factory in Sunderland. There's a picture of the inside of it in an old manual here (if you go a few pages in): https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Mazda/Mazda-DataBooklet1970Valve&PictureTubes.pdf

It refers to Sunderland 'A' factory (as if there were more than one, maybe?).

Unsurprisngly, Wiki confirms that the Edison and Swan Electric Light Company Limited (Ediswan) had offices (and a factory) in Sunderland.... "In 1956, a new cathode ray tube plant was opened in Sunderland. The company was renamed Siemens Ediswan following the takeover of Siemens Brothers by AEI in 1957. In 1964, AEI merged its lamp and radio valve manufacturing interests with those of Thorn Electrical Industries to form British Lighting Industries Ltd." Edison and Swan Electric Light Company - Wikipedia

A lot of the same process would have been involved in making light bulbs, cathode ray tubes, and valves (filaments, glass, vacuums etc).

I'm obviously aware of the Joseph Swan heritage here, and the dispute between him and Edison that eventually led to a merger of the two companies.

Thought this was interesting, anyway, may be to some who might know more or have some connection. Anyone know where the original offices were, or the factory? The office should have a blue plaque if still standing, IMO: it has a lot of historical importance.

Have been buying a few old valves (aka radio valves/vacuum tubes) for an amplifier and stumbled across reference to a Mazda (not the car) valve factory in Sunderland. There's a picture of the inside of it in an old manual here (if you go a few pages in): https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Mazda/Mazda-DataBooklet1970Valve&PictureTubes.pdf

It refers to Sunderland 'A' factory (as if there were more than one, maybe?).

Unsurprisngly, Wiki confirms that the Edison and Swan Electric Light Company Limited (Ediswan) had offices (and a factory) in Sunderland.... "In 1956, a new cathode ray tube plant was opened in Sunderland. The company was renamed Siemens Ediswan following the takeover of Siemens Brothers by AEI in 1957. In 1964, AEI merged its lamp and radio valve manufacturing interests with those of Thorn Electrical Industries to form British Lighting Industries Ltd." Edison and Swan Electric Light Company - Wikipedia

A lot of the same process would have been involved in making light bulbs, cathode ray tubes, and valves (filaments, glass, vacuums etc).

I'm obviously aware of the Joseph Swan heritage here, and the dispute between him and Edison that eventually led to a merger of the two companies.

Thought this was interesting, anyway, may be to some who might know more or have some connection. Anyone know where the original offices were, or the factory? The office should have a blue plaque if still standing, IMO: it has a lot of historical importance.
FB will be your better option. Sunderland History and Memories.

I wouldn’t think so mate no. Or VHS tapes or floppy disks or typewriters.
Well other people do make valves elsewhere (as far as I'm aware Slovakia, Russia and China). And old unused ones from the UK/Europe and US can be very valuable now. There is still nothing like them in amplifiers.

Yes, Thorns was on Pallion trading estate - pretty much where the new recycling centre is now.

I remember Thorns at pallion, if you come down Fordham road onto saint Luke's road and went straight ahead, that was one of the old entrances to the industrial estate, thorns factory was on the left, straight ahead was rolls Royce, must have went back almost to the bottom of front road.

Pretty sure Thorns was based where Auto Leisureland was previously and is now the Retail Park. Me Ma worked there and I used to attend the works children's Xmas parties.

There'll be a few still making valves in the UK as they're used in guitar amps. Normally the mid to high end ones too.
They are used in guitar amps and hifi amps but no longer made in the UK or the US, probably not since the 1980s. The only countries still making valves now are Slovakia (JJ brand), Russia and China and if you buy a brand new valve amp it will have valves from one of these sources in it. Some people then spend huge amounts on NOS (new old stock) valves from the past that have been in warehouses unused (often military surplus), because they're generally better, eg Mullard, Telefunken and the American brands (GE, Sylvania, Raytheon etc), and the prices are just heading one way as supplies dwindle. Especially to go in a vintage amp to get the right sound. Obviously the valuable ones are only certain types useful for audio/guitar purposes though - valve types only used in TVs for instance are pretty much worthless, as nobody has a valve TV any more.

To give an example of the lengths some people will go: SUPER RARE MULLARD ECC83 BLACK WELDED PLATE SQUARE GETTER 1600 D3 1953 | eBay (the equivalent type new valve costs £15-30).

Last edited:
They are used in guitar amps and hifi amps but no longer made in the UK or the US, probably not since the 1980s. The only countries still making valves now are Slovakia (JJ brand), Russia and China and if you buy a brand new valve amp it will have valves from one of these sources in it. Some people then spend huge amounts on NOS (new old stock) valves from the past that have been in warehouses unused (often military surplus), because they're generally better, eg Mullard, Telefunken and the American brands (GE, Sylvania, Raytheon etc), and the prices are just heading one way as supplies dwindle. Especially to go in a vintage amp to get the right sound. Obviously the valuable ones are only certain types useful for audio/guitar purposes though - valve types only used in TVs for instance are pretty much worthless, as nobody has a valve TV any more.

To give an example of the lengths some people will go: SUPER RARE MULLARD ECC83 BLACK WELDED PLATE SQUARE GETTER 1600 D3 1953 | eBay (the equivalent type new valve costs £15-30).

fuck me sideways :lol: That's obscene

My Mate has retired his Diezel amp from gigging due to valve shortages .My oldish Peavey bass head didnt like anything but one Russian brand (amp built in states )

Back