Video shop memories

TheStinger

Full Back
I swear, Netflix will never give me the joy of going into Georges in Silky when I was a kid and getting a video out. What was your local? There was some really good ones in Sunderland.

Also, did anyone ever have a bloke coming around in a car with a load of videos in the back? Good services, that.

we had a bloke in car come round every week with a boot full of vhs's and beetamax's. We would get one a week and it was a highlight

It seemed amazing at the time, you just couldn't imagine then having hundreds of films available at the press of a button

Yup,car boot videos,used to go to my mate Gary mussetts (lives in Devon now) in pennywell,he had a video recorder,big VHS thing,we used to get 5 films and watch them overnight,happy times.

Can't remember what it was called (maybe others can) but remember the Video Shop that is now/was Aquila Systems at Laygate.

Remember getting Robocop out :lol::lol:

Think they were called megadrive or something in hartlepool. New film came out you had to go in n put your name down, could be weeks till your turn.
Dont know were born nowadays!:lol:

Used to get them from the video shop on the Scotchy, got on well with the lass that managed it so I used to get posters for my bedroom wall as well, loved my Rocky 4, Ferris Buellers Day Off and Back to the Future posters, roll them up to carry them home so they had no creases

It was usually other families who rented stuff and got the lads round, although I remember there being a buzz around release dates and people being over the knot if they bagged a new release for a Friday night.

Me da had short arms and deep pockets so it was a rarity for us. Although we called into one on the odd occasion called "Channel 5", presumably named because there were only 4 channels on the telly.

Our local one was
Video video boogy in a suitcase we're living in a disco forget about the rat race ,it only lasted a month .The sign was expensive I seem to remember

There was one on Sea Road at Fulwell , corner of Bower Street, before it changed to Azad. Can’t remember it’s originl name.
When a new release came out they only had about 2 copies of it and you’d have to wait about 8 months to rent it

There was an Azad at Suddick, where Heron's is now. Remember being in there with me mam. Must've been early 90s? Can't remember being allowed to pick anything though.

We had a bloke come round Grindon way with videos in his boot. My brother taped the news over part of the Tom & Jerry Movie. Not that legit.

Another one opened in Suddick, Global Video, remember that one cos they rented out games as well. Pretty expensive but we'd sometimes get a Megadrive game out for the weekend. Think that shop was more expensive than Barney's at Hylton Castle though cos we started getting them from there instead.

There was that 24hr Video on Chester Road for a bit. They did DVD not video though. Just had a computer screen to look through the films, make your choice and it'd pop out of a slot at the other end of the shop. Some weird greasy bloke just sat behind a window there all day to help people who couldn't work the machine.

Nee wonder we all prefer streaming now.

Used to get videos every now and then from Global or Blockbuster in the late 90s and have 2 VCRs connected so we could copy it. Used to get Playstation games from there as well. I remember renting the Italian Job game twice so I could complete it, probably would have been cheaper to buy it.

Blockbusters in Framwellgate Moor. Used to rent out Playstation games anarl, trying to complete a game while the clock was ticking gave me PTSD.

Back