Why the hate campaign against EVs?

i've just been looking at a leaf on autotrader just out of curiosities sake. it's actually quite nice inside, outside is a bit bland but i'm not really a car enthusiast as such as far as modern cars go.

anyway, this is why it'd be no good for me personally.

it's a 62kwh with a range of 239 miles which is canny.
to get to cardiff on friday which is 300 miles away. i'd need to set off at home which means leaving it on charge for either 32 hours on a 3 pin plug or 11 hours 30 mins if i had a fast home charger.
lets say i stop to top it back up after 200 miles (would that be a realistic range bearing in mind we just plod on about 60-65ish?) i'd need to stop and charge it up for 2 hours to get it to 80% to complete the journey then leave it somewhere near the ground and possibly top it up whilst be get beat.
leave there with a full charge but still not enough to get home and have to stop for up to 2 hours to get home.
it does say that 2 hours would get the battery up to 80% so i'm presuming you just leave it on charge until you've got enough to get home/wherever with a bit wiggle room?

edit, hope this makes sense :)

The leaf isn’t a car I’m familiar with. So I’ll use my Mach e as an example instead.

It’s normally set to charge to 80% each night, I’d set it to be 100% the night before going to Cardiff. It’s rare the car is below 50% so it would easily get to 100% between midnight and 7am when my electricity costs 8p per kWh on my 7kWh home charger.

I would stop near Birmingham. Zapmap says somewhere called star city has some 150kw chargers and a few fast food places, it’s 200miles away so plenty of margin. 15mins on there leaves plenty to get to charge.

On arrival at Cardiff I’d go to a charger, zap map has a bank of 350kw chargers 1 mile away from the stadium. Stick that on and walk to the ground. 2 hours for the match, plus 20mins walk each way. The car will be well over 90% full for the return leg.

On the way home you could stop somewhere like ferrybridge for a quick 15min stretch your legs and toilet break while the car gets another fast charge while you do. Yous get home with plenty of margin. Stick it in the home charger and it’ll be at the normal 80% for the next day.

My car was delivered from Evesham which is south of Birmingham, it did the journey to mine without a recharge and got here with 24% of the battery remaining. Cardiff is further, and having done the Cardiff drive before I’d personally want to stop on the way, so sticking the car on charge while you stop is no hardships at all.

i'd need to stop and charge it up for 2 hours to get it to 80% to complete the journey
No you wouldn't.
You'd still have 39 miles in the battery from the initial home charge, and you only need to drive another 100 miles, so you don't need the car at 80% to continue your journey, you just need to add another 70 miles, which would take 25 minutes.
Then drive the final 100 miles to Cardiff and arrive with 10 miles in the battery.
Put the car on charge while at the match and it'll be fully charged by the time you leave for home.
Repeat the 25 minute stop after 200miles on the way home.
Your Journey only needs you to make a 25 minute stop each way, not a 2 hour stop.

More modern cars have bigger batteries and charge faster than the LEAF so the 25 minute stop could be 15 minutes

Last edited:
it appears the luton car park fire did end up involving ev's.
Of course it ended up involving EVs, there's a lot of them about. 1400 cars burned, a fair bet some were EVs. If not it was a shocking stat that an ICE car set on fire and burned 1400 other ICE cars and no EV's

It involved EVs because a few of the many cars destroyed by the diesel car fire were EVs.
don't shoot the messenger.
speaking as someone who carries tankers of the lithium solution that goes into the batteries i can confirm it's pretty nasty stuff.
Of course it ended up involving EVs, there's a lot of them about. 1400 cars burned, a fair bet some were EVs. If not it was a shocking stat that an ICE car set on fire and burned 1400 other ICE cars and no EV's
see above.

Got mine on Wednesday, did an overnighter in Leeds last night so a good chance to test it out on a bit of a run.

Started on 90% battery with a range of 265 miles, but was apparent that that was a bit of an exaggeration once I got going, and while I was planning a stop to try out charging it anyway, this was probs going to be necessary

Arrived at Leeds with 46%, so in theory, enough to get home if was feeling brave, which I wasn’t.

Called into Wetherby services and there was a fast charger available which took the battery from 36% to 80% in 16 mins.

Looking at the stats for the trip, 100% would get me 220 miles vs the 285 official range, which seems to be about the real world expectation.

So,

It gans fast, very fast.
It charges fast
It didn’t burst into flames
The accelerator didn’t get stuck on
I didn’t leave tire sized grooves in the tarmac on the A1

Early days but seems a decent choice for what we’ll use it for.

Also, EV owners seem a very friendly bunch, probs cos we know we gannin to heaven due to services to the environment…amen.

Got mine on Wednesday, did an overnighter in Leeds last night so a good chance to test it out on a bit of a run.

Started on 90% battery with a range of 265 miles, but was apparent that that was a bit of an exaggeration once I got going, and while I was planning a stop to try out charging it anyway, this was probs going to be necessary

Arrived at Leeds with 46%, so in theory, enough to get home if was feeling brave, which I wasn’t.

Called into Wetherby services and there was a fast charger available which took the battery from 36% to 80% in 16 mins.

Looking at the stats for the trip, 100% would get me 220 miles vs the 285 official range, which seems to be about the real world expectation.

So,

It gans fast, very fast.
It charges fast

Also, EV owners seem a very friendly bunch, probs cos we know we gannin to heaven due to services to the environment…amen.
Welcome to EVangelism

i've just been looking at a leaf on autotrader just out of curiosities sake. it's actually quite nice inside, outside is a bit bland but i'm not really a car enthusiast as such as far as modern cars go.

anyway, this is why it'd be no good for me personally.

it's a 62kwh with a range of 239 miles which is canny.
to get to cardiff on friday which is 300 miles away. i'd need to set off at home which means leaving it on charge for either 32 hours on a 3 pin plug or 11 hours 30 mins if i had a fast home charger.
lets say i stop to top it back up after 200 miles (would that be a realistic range bearing in mind we just plod on about 60-65ish?) i'd need to stop and charge it up for 2 hours to get it to 80% to complete the journey then leave it somewhere near the ground and possibly top it up whilst be get beat.
leave there with a full charge but still not enough to get home and have to stop for up to 2 hours to get home.
it does say that 2 hours would get the battery up to 80% so i'm presuming you just leave it on charge until you've got enough to get home/wherever with a bit wiggle room?

edit, hope this makes sense :)
How much does charging cost when using motorway or other charging points? I read someone say it cost him more than double the cost of diesel. When he did a long journey and had to charge enroutte.
Somebody who lives in a flat or other multi occupancy building would be forced to use these public chargers. The cost for them will be very steep.

Last edited:
Been looking at an EV. Many people on here with them not have a charging point at home?
Mine gets fitted next week, not sure I’d want to rely on public points all the time.

That said, it’s currently plugged into the mains using the granny charger….45 hours till full charge :)
How much does charging cost when using motorway or other charging points. I read someone say it cost him more than double the cost of diesel. When he did a long journey and had to charge enroutte.
Somebody who lives in a flat or other multi occupancy building would be forced to use these public chargers. The cost for them will be very steep.
79p per KW….so based on my journey, 27p per mile if using service station ultra chargers only

10p based on charging at home on current tariff, but 3p if charge overnight on an EV one

Last edited:

So,

It gans fast, very fast.
It charges fast

All your cars leave massive grooves in every road
Been looking at an EV. Many people on here with them not have a charging point at home?
I’ve got an ohme, never used it yet as charge at work7kw Wouod take me about 11 hours.

I reckon unless you have constant access to one at work or one local they are a must

Last edited:
Mine gets fitted next week, not sure I’d want to rely on public points all the time.

That said, it’s currently plugged into the mains using the granny charger….45 hours till full charge :)

79p per KW….so based on my journey, 27p per mile if using service station ultra chargers only

10p based on charging at home on current tariff, but 3p if charge overnight on an EV one
So it is about double a diesel when using public chargers. Obviously it depends which diesel and which electric car you're using.

All your cars leave massive grooves in every road
Rich coming from the man whose run flats were permanently flat
So it is about double a diesel when using public chargers. Obviously it depends which diesel and which electric car you're using.
Aye, makes no financial sense if relying on a service station to fast charge all the time.

I’ll mainly only need to use them if away with work, and they’ll cover the cost of that.

Wouldn’t have gone for one if that wasn’t the case

Last edited:
Rich coming from the man whose run flats were permanently flat

Aye, makes no financial sense if relying on a service station to fast charge all the time.

I’ll mainly only need to use them if away with work, and they’ll cover the cost of that.

Wouldn’t have gone for one if that wasn’t the case
Does using a fast charger shorten the battery life on an EV?

Back