XL Bullies

Anecdotally at least it feels like there’s been a load of news stories about attacks by this breed / type of breed of dogs over the last few months. Kids, other dogs, even dozens of sheep killed and injured by out of control dogs.

Seen the Home Sec is now asking for a review into it.

What’s people’s views on banning the breed / forced confiscation and euthanasia etc’? Would it even be practical given it’s not defined as a breed by any authority in this country?

I do understand the point that they can be trained but there’s always a risk something goes wrong, and it seems like with this breed and others things can go catastrophically wrong if it does.

Anecdotally at least it feels like there’s been a load of news stories about attacks by this breed / type of breed of dogs over the last few months. Kids, other dogs, even dozens of sheep killed and injured by out of control dogs.

Seen the Home Sec is now asking for a review into it.

What’s people’s views on banning the breed / forced confiscation and euthanasia etc’? Would it even be practical given it’s not defined as a breed by any authority in this country?

I do understand the point that they can be trained but there’s always a risk something goes wrong, and it seems like with this breed and others things can go catastrophically wrong if it does.

I really hope they don’t otherwise I won’t be able to walk my girl. If she was to be taken away I’d be devastated. I got her for my birthday and she’s the softest dog I know and it’s great with my daughter who is 3.

They need to put legislation in place to own dogs and a fit for ownership test of some sort.

I don't think a lot of owners realise in general that some people, especially kids don't like dogs jumping all over them. If I see any dog make any kind of bee line for my youngun I'll pick him up. Usually greeted by the owner saying they are fine and playful but I'm not going to take that chance. Personally I think there's a decent case to make it law that any dog out in public should be wearing a mussel

I don't think a lot of owners realise in general that some people, especially kids don't like dogs jumping all over them. If I see any dog make any kind of bee line for my youngun I'll pick him up. Usually greeted by the owner saying they are fine and playful but I'm not going to take that chance. Personally I think there's a decent case to make it law that any dog out in public should be wearing a mussel

Would be a huge benefit to the seafood industry if so.

I really hope they don’t otherwise I won’t be able to walk my girl. If she was to be taken away I’d be devastated. I got her for my birthday and she’s the softest dog I know and it’s great with my daughter who is 3.

They need to put legislation in place to own dogs and a fit for ownership test of some sort.
It’s a tough one. Our dog was a Rottweiler. Beautiful, gentle and placid.

Looking beyond your dog the question we need to ask ourselves is “would you leave your 3 year old alone with the dog?”. I never ever did. I just couldn’t risk it. An innocent tug or push of the dog and it could snap.
Maybe it is the owners that are at fault, I just don't get how you can realistically put in place, and police, a fit and proper ownership test, as you suggested.

Muzzles from tomorrow has to be the starting point.
Above a certain weight? A muzzled Chihuahua seems a bit over the top.

Back