2014 Cycling thread - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

noticed there was a bunch of cyclists in the hasting hill car park around 9am sunday morning,anyone off here?
i've just bought a road bike,so any advice on (very) quiet roads and staying alive would be great:)

Whereabouts are you? On staying alive I reckon it's just a case of keeping yourself visible the right clothing lights etc, and assertive riding.

i'm in grindon,spoilt for choice with 'off road' cycle routes near by,but i'd always fancied a road bike as well.
need to get back into riding ( just in general ) i was huffing and puffing just going along some empty roads on sunday morning,really unfit:neutral:

Whereabouts are you? On staying alive I reckon it's just a case of keeping yourself visible the right clothing lights etc, and assertive riding.

Urgh. Grim day on the bike today. Non stop 4 hours torrential rain. Had to come to the gym for a steam to warm up.

In 100k saw 2 other cyclists :)

Yep it's absolutely pissed down all day here. Thankfully did a long run yesterday (training for the Box Hill BallBuster duathlon in November & then a marathon in San Sebastian) so was content to spend the day on the sofa!!

Got a big ride planned tomorrow so hopefully it'll dry/warm up a bit......

Yep it's absolutely pissed down all day here. Thankfully did a long run yesterday (training for the Box Hill BallBuster duathlon in November & then a marathon in San Sebastian) so was content to spend the day on the sofa!!

Got a big ride planned tomorrow so hopefully it'll dry/warm up a bit......
Wasn't to bad at all here no cycling though, apart from up and down to the farm on the knockabouts

i'm in grindon,spoilt for choice with 'off road' cycle routes near by,but i'd always fancied a road bike as well.
need to get back into riding ( just in general ) i was huffing and puffing just going along some empty roads on sunday morning,really unfit:neutral:
PM sent, happy to form an unfit peloton if you want!

Lads, have to recommend giant Newcastle. Went for a bike fit but pushing the bike in the lad said its probably not worth going ahead with so won't take my money as the bikes two sizes too big. He then let me try various bikes including a mini test ride and suggested one that wasn't yet in stock. Not spent any money there yet but really impressed.

Also, fk you Edinburgh cycles

Lads, have to recommend giant Newcastle. Went for a bike fit but pushing the bike in the lad said its probably not worth going ahead with so won't take my money as the bikes two sizes too big. He then let me try various bikes including a mini test ride and suggested one that wasn't yet in stock. Not spent any money there yet but really impressed.

I'm not saying they're wrong but a 'technique' used by Cycle Fit in Covent Garden in London was to tell just about everyone that their bike was the wrong size and therefore be able to sell them a new bike (in the case of Cycle Fit this was usually a custom-fit Serrotta for several grand).

If the bike is two sizes too big, it'll be barely rideable. Is that how it's felt?

How tall are you and what size is your bike? I know very little about Bike Fits but assuming you have been riding the bike already without any major issues, it sounds odd.

I'm not saying they're wrong but a 'technique' used by Cycle Fit in Covent Garden in London was to tell just about everyone that their bike was the wrong size and therefore be able to sell them a new bike (in the case of Cycle Fit this was usually a custom-fit Serrotta for several grand).

If the bike is two sizes too big, it'll be barely rideable. Is that how it's felt?

Do you know of any decent places in south east London/kent area that do bike fitting for reasonable prices?

Do you know of any decent places in south east London/kent area that do bike fitting for reasonable prices?

I used a brilliant bloke called The Bike Whisperer who was based in Ealing but, I think has moved to Newbury. He did a v through 5 hr session that went through every aspect of riding the bike, comfort, power, injury-avoidance etc. it was a bit pricy (@ £200 as I recall but felt worth it). A few of my mates have also been and felt the same way.

Monkeytassle will, I'm sure, give the name of the place he went to, that he recommended as well.

Cav rides a bike that is about 3 sizes too small for him, doesn't he?

Yep, he's grown out of his bike. That's why he never wins anymore. :oops::oops:

Rollers vs turbo trainers.
Been to the tackle shop today and a fabricator had built the guy who owns it a rolling road, powder coated the lot for about 30 quid. Ive asked him to knock me one up as well as when i had a try it seems a hell of a lot smoother than the the turbo trainers. Anyone else any experience of one?

5 10 and its a large defy.

Dunno what I was buying as I'd not ridden a bike since I was a bairn. Had some neck pain but shortening the stem helped. Looking at size charts online what he said makes sense

5 10 and its a large defy.

Dunno what I was buying as I'd not ridden a bike since I was a bairn. Had some neck pain but shortening the stem helped. Looking at size charts online what he said makes sense

Yep, having a quick gander at the Giant sizing chart that does seem way too big. As I said, I don't want to tar the shop you went to with the same brush (even if it is in Newcastle), so it seems reasonable.

Fantastic, you can now buy a new bike you lucky bastard!! ;);)

Well, I had planned on that anyway but my keeping the old one for winter plan has gone. The new defy 1 2015 is carbon and quite fancy the disc brakesso probably going for that
Yep, having a quick gander at the Giant sizing chart that does seem way too big. As I said, I don't want to tar the shop you went to with the same brush (even if it is in Newcastle), so it seems reasonable.

Fantastic, you can now buy a new bike you lucky bastard!! ;);)

Also thanks for he warning. Good to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back