2024 Cycling Thread

Do folk carry those mini gas canisters nowadays incase puncture or still old school
Pump
I am still very much old school as I carry a pump and a spare tubes for ease, to get me home. I have had 3 punctures between my 2 bikes in the last month so am well in the groove:(

Do folk carry those mini gas canisters nowadays incase puncture or still old school
Pump
Both. If the weather is nice and I’m not I’m not in a rush I’ll use the pump. If it’s pissing down, freezing and I don’t want to fuck about I’ll use the CO2 then I’ll use the pump when that goes wrong.

Pump
I carried one 2 or 3 years back in my rd bike bag. When i finally tried to use it, it wouldn't work. Mind by that time it was all corroded and manky.

Ditched it and am now tubeless on my rerd bike. Just carry spare tubes in my cx bike and mtb now.
Massive pile up in Dwars door Vlaanderen Wout and Pedersen down
I'm not going to watch that. Can't stand watching riders getting severe road rash.

Last edited:
Pump
I'm going to try the CO2 canisters firstly, I cycled in Nha Trang for 2 years without a puncture, been in HCMC for 2.5 months and had 3 punctures. Last weekend was final straw, swapped in a tube on 1st puncture, 5km down the road 2nd puncture.....Taxi! Local bike shop bloke said these roads eat up race tires (Cont GP5000 Tubeless), so ordered some Continental GP 4 Seasons to see if fair better and will take out spare tube and CO2 canister.

Pump
A few years ago one evening I rode out from home to do a late season local club TT and in my back pockets I had a CO2 cannister, a spare tube and some self-adhesive patches (always belt & braces, me). I had a late start number so after the event I was riding home as it was starting to get dark and I got a fkn puncture. So I banged the spare tube in and whacked the cannister on to blow it up but for some reason it wasn't inflating. I made sure it was connected and tried again. And again. Puzzled about this I took the tyre off and found that the (brand new!) tube had about a 4" split in it. Of course I had them patches with me so I could have repaired the original tube but there was nee point 'cos I discovered that by now the fkn gas canister was empty.
4 mile walk home in cleats. In the dark.
Since then I always take a mini pump with me as at least it will never run out.

Last edited:
A few years ago one evening I rode out from home to do a late season local club TT and in my back pockets I had a CO2 cannister, a spare tube and some self-adhesive patches (always belt & braces, me). I had a late start number so after the event I was riding home as it was starting to get dark and I got a fkn puncture. So I banged the spare tube in and whacked the cannister on to blow it up but for some reason it wasn't inflating. I made sure it was connected and tried again. And again. Puzzled about this I took the tyre off and found that the (brand new!) tube had about a 4" split in it. Of course I had them patches with me so I could have repaired the original tube but there was nee point 'cos I discovered that by now the fkn gas canister was empty.
4 mile walk home in cleats. In the dark.
Since then I always take a mini pump with me as at least it will never run out.
Was a Co2 inflator rider but after a few canisters failed me returned to a decent mini pump. While most won't get you anywhere near the PSI claimed, it always get's me home and never let me down.

Anyone any experience of doing an audax ride? I'm the type of rider that'll either do the same few routes or be easily put off and not go out so the thought of taking part in an organised event does appeal. I was initially put off thinking it'll be expensive road bikes and people hurtling round the course as fast as they can but I've since found out any bike will do (I've a gravel bike) and there's a maximum (and minimum) speed as it's a test of endurance only and nothing to do with speed. There aren't a great deal many events here in the NE but I'd like to dip my toe locally before going to events further away.

Anyone any experience of doing an audax ride? I'm the type of rider that'll either do the same few routes or be easily put off and not go out so the thought of taking part in an organised event does appeal. I was initially put off thinking it'll be expensive road bikes and people hurtling round the course as fast as they can but I've since found out any bike will do (I've a gravel bike) and there's a maximum (and minimum) speed as it's a test of endurance only and nothing to do with speed. There aren't a great deal many events here in the NE but I'd like to dip my toe locally before going to events further away.

I've done a fair few now....audax rides are great....not a race and all you have to do is make the time cut.
Loads of events in the NE.....follow tyneside vagabonds audax event's on Facebook.....
There's also events further a field.....Darlington area or Scottish Borders.
Check the audax website calendar for events coming up....etc
Did my first 100km last week.....200km pencilled in for next Saturday....also got a 300/400 and 1000km planned this year.....
Generally they're great value price wise in comparison to 'sportives'

Last edited:

Back