Adam Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone know the system?

What happens in the initial hearing? The plead?

Then when will the trial be set?

My understanding is that it's the plead and a date set for the trial.
Then if he pleads guilty, they won't need a jury and it's just to argue how severe the punishment. That'll be done sooner rather than later.
If he pleads not-guilty, then the 2 sides have to prepare a case, a jury sworn in etc. A date will be set further in the future.

No expert - just how I understand it's done.

Anyone know the system?

What happens in the initial hearing? The plead?

Then when will the trial be set?

At a preliminary hearing a timetable is set for the case. That timetable includes a date for the prosecution to serve their papers, a date for the plea and case management hearing (PCMH) and a date for the defence to serve a defence case statement.

A plea isn't always taken at a preliminary hearing as the defendant sometimes isn't arraigned until the PCMH. A preliminary hearing can literally involve setting the timetable only.

Some Judges are more proactive and push for a plea and if that is not guilty, set a trial date including a trial length based on an estimate agreed between the prosecution and defence counsel.

Unless either side is put on notice prior to a preliminary hearing, bail will be the same as before.

I think I read last time that Johnson's solicitor indicated that it would be a plea of not guilty? If that's the case, I expect he will put that plea in and a trial date will be set.

Very uneventful hearings

At a preliminary hearing a timetable is set for the case. That timetable includes a date for the prosecution to serve their papers, a date for the plea and case management hearing (PCMH) and a date for the defence to serve a defence case statement.

A plea isn't always taken at a preliminary hearing as the defendant sometimes isn't arraigned until the PCMH. A preliminary hearing can literally involve setting the timetable only.

Some Judges are more proactive and push for a plea and if that is not guilty, set a trial date including a trial length based on an estimate agreed between the prosecution and defence counsel.

Unless either side is put on notice prior to a preliminary hearing, bail will be the same as before.

I think I read last time that Johnson's solicitor indicated that it would be a plea of not guilty? If that's the case, I expect he will put that plea in and a trial date will be set.

Very uneventful hearings

True, but it will be another chance for the paps to get their pictures as he enters and leaves court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back