Affelay ban reduced....

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's probably a combination of the goading by Gardner (who intentionally touched his face and got away with it), the fact that he's a young lad new to the Prem and that there was no risk at all of any injury to the victim. Two match ban and the three points he cost his team seems more than adequate punishment to me...

Halleyfelah halleyfelah halleyfelay sminky pinky bang bang Chris Waddle.

This eggsactly what the appeal of the length of punishment rather than the offence is there for.

He technically committed the offence but the standard 3 match ban was too harsh.

Every time someone appeals a ban on here turner gets mentioned I know. But I thought the "frivolous" appeal thing was because we appealed the length and not the ban itself. Has the rule changed or am I misinformed?

You're right. For once, this incident is similar to the Turner 'frivolous' appeal. I assume that Stoke were risking a further game ban if their appeal was turned down.

Agree, like I said if the ref had told them off for being fannies no one would have been up in arms about it, still wonder what will happen with future similar incidents when bans are handed out.

Spot on mate. It's ridiculous when you see a red card issued for the equivalent of a Bitch Slap from a two year old and a yellow when Huth deliberately smacks the ball into somebody's mush when they are lying on the deck then sticks his arm into another player's face seconds after. I really think refs are shit scared of him judging by the amount of stuff he's gotten away with over the years

Should have laid Gardner out with a huge right hand and took the three game ban, seems daft getting three game ban for a tap/clip/prod.

Think this whole thing is bullshit. Footballers go on like flanges man. They need to look at the egg chasers as to how to act during a game. I don't even like rugby but they would beat 7 bells of shit out of their teammate if they went on like some footballers do, wish that aspect of the game would creep in.
Rugby players cheat to. It's in all sports to be fair. Except ice hockey, that's for real men

Did the mags put in a complaint against their red?
Yeah

Seems like common sense has prevailed a bit to me. Should Affelay get the same length of ban as someone who properly lamps an opponent? Nope.

Judging from the opinions of some in here, how come Gardner didn't get sent off but Affelay did?

Gardner's wasn't violent conduct, Affelay's was (albeit he did seem to pull out of his slap a bit).

Gardner's wasn't violent conduct, Affelay's was (albeit he did seem to pull out of his slap a bit).

Isn't violent conduct just the same as serious foul play really (genuine question as I'm not sure)?

In which case it's using excessive force i.e. a danger of injuring an opponent. Which Affelay was in no danger of.

Edit: I've just checked and that appears to be right - excessive force or brutality.

Isn't violent conduct just the same as serious foul play really (genuine question as I'm not sure)?

In which case it's using excessive force i.e. a danger of injuring an opponent. Which Affelay was in no danger of.

Edit: I've just checked and that appears to be right - excessive force or brutality.

You're probably right in terms of the definitions in the rules but there's no doubt Affelay was aggressive and used excessive force in the sense that there was no need for any force.

You're probably right in terms of the definitions in the rules but there's no doubt Affelay was aggressive and used excessive force in the sense that there was no need for any force.

It's just a bit of a no-win situation as you'll have people complaining whatever the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back