Any buses from Annfield Plain To SOL

Congratulations, you are the first person in the history of language to ever say that sentence.
:lol: Actually not. Around about 1990 I knocked on my mates door in Leadgate, and multiple Olympic champion Ed Moses answered the door. They'd swapped houses for a month (mates dad was an artist who had painted a few olympians) and he was using their house as a base to explore the North East.

I am coming over from California to have a 3 week vacation in Annfield Plain. Please no "Look at me , pathetic". Does anybody know if there are any buses to the SOL for the Norwich game. As an aside are there any decent pubs in Annfield Plain or Stanley.

3 weeks seems like a perfect amount of time to visit annfield plane and Stanley. You should have plenty of opportunity to see all they have to offer. Consett is worth visiting too if you get some free time later in your holiday

:lol: Actually not. Around about 1990 I knocked on my mates door in Leadgate, and multiple Olympic champion Ed Moses answered the door. They'd swapped houses for a month (mates dad was an artist who had painted a few olympians) and he was using their house as a base to explore the North East.
Well, it's like I always say. If you are going to get beat, get beat by an Olympic gold medalist

Last edited:
Not many decent pubs in Stanley, unfortunately.
Tanfield Lea Club has decent beer and good atmosphere at weekends, and South Causey, Hilltop, Shepherd and Shepherdess are also good. The Peacock at Tanfield Village is good and does decent food, but quiet during the week.
The good old days of having a cracking pub crawl in Stanley are long gone.

I am coming over from California to have a 3 week vacation in Annfield Plain. Please no "Look at me , pathetic". Does anybody know if there are any buses to the SOL for the Norwich game. As an aside are there any decent pubs in Annfield Plain or Stanley.
@Daffy will give you a lift and BCB ticket, @Barboza dh9 will buy your drink for you all day long. Good lads.

The annfield plain
One of Gary coopers best westerns
Yee hahh

Shop was Newbys when I lived in Catchgate as a Yooth
Aye, that was when little Dickie was driving the Hammels.
Surely some of the commentators on this thread boarded the Hammels bus to get to Roker Park, must be forty odd year ago now.

Five foot two, eyes of blue, little Dickies after you tra la la la la la lar.

Last edited:
Aye, that was when little Dickie was driving the Hammels.
Surely some of the commentators on this thread boarded the Hammels bus to get to Roker Park, must be forty odd year ago now.

Five foot two, eyes of blue, little Dickies after you tra la la la la la lar.

I went in the Hammels bus once when I was about 14. Took ages to get there I seem to remember.

Buses to Sunderland from Stanley are a pain. Last time I did it was just before Covid and the service bus took over 30 minutes to get to Chester le Street.

I went in the Hammels bus once when I was about 14. Took ages to get there I seem to remember.

Buses to Sunderland from Stanley are a pain. Last time I did it was just before Covid and the service bus took over 30 minutes to get to Chester le Street.
Aye used to start at Hammels depot in Stanley, up to Annfield Plain, catchgate and back to Stanley before it even started to Sunderland. Think it was 50p under sixteen and 80p for adults. Those were the days, into Roker Hotel for a 40p pint.

Literally never heard of Annfield Plain and I've lived in the North East me whole life
That's your 3 week holiday sorted for next year then. There's a whole exciting world up there. New Kyo, Annfield Plain, Shield Row. Catchgate, Quaking houses. Then on the other side No Place, Grange Villas etc. Also the lure of being three quarters of the way to Barry's bargains will be too hard to resist

Not many decent pubs in Stanley, unfortunately.
Tanfield Lea Club has decent beer and good atmosphere at weekends, and South Causey, Hilltop, Shepherd and Shepherdess are also good. The Peacock at Tanfield Village is good and does decent food, but quiet during the week.
The good old days of having a cracking pub crawl in Stanley are long gone.

The Ball Alley is owned by a good mate of mine's Dad (both Sunderland fans in a sea of mags). I've never been myself, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend to our lot!

Last edited:
The Ball Alley is owned by a good mate of mine's Dad (both Sunderland fans in a sea of mags). I've never been myself, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend to our lot!

I know MC, used to play football in same team and his Mrs was daughter of a couple my Mam did the books for as they owned shops.
I have only been in his pub a few times, not sure why though. A one for locals but also does B&B.

As mentioned there's a bus that picks up for home matches.

As for pubs in Stanley, the Hilltop, Tophouse dont forget to put your name on the board for a fight.

There's also a very welcoming Spa or so I've been told.

Top house and The Clock keep taking turns to close down.

The Spa used to be the Kings Head, a great pub until the alcoholic ex of the landlady took it over and it quickly downhill.

I know MC, used to play football in same team and his Mrs was daughter of a couple my Mam did the books for as they owned shops.
I have only been in his pub a few times, not sure why though. A one for locals but also does B&B.
Full off Black and Whites , micky sorts them out , had some good away days with the Pirates and Micky
@davoak is it worth holidaying around Stanley
Cragheed

If you can find enough pubs in Stanley to get pissed in, you could just curl up into a ball and roll all the way down Shield Row bank and have last orders in the Ball Alley.

Aye, he's a top man like. Only met him a few times, but he was down for the QPR game a few weeks back.

Back