Any buses from Annfield Plain To SOL

I’d highly recommend a trip out to the thriving metropolis of Dipton whilst the OP is in the vicinity. View the magnificence of High Stables then make your way toward Flint Hill the Lilly Gardens before a walk along ‘The Tops’ (Catchwell Road) and back to Pontop Pike, down to East Castle, Catchgate and then Annfield Plain. If you have a sense of adventure take in New Kyo and the allotments around Kyo bogs.

Forget the match. As I recommended on another thread regarding Fiorentina, surely the majesty and splendour of the vicinity that you’re visiting is far more worthy than a mere football stadium.

Edit: if you plan to go further afield please avoid Witton Gilbert. Very dangerous territory.

Last edited:

:lol: Actually not. Around about 1990 I knocked on my mates door in Leadgate, and multiple Olympic champion Ed Moses answered the door. They'd swapped houses for a month (mates dad was an artist who had painted a few olympians) and he was using their house as a base to explore the North East.
Life is about hurdles and how you overcome then, homeswapper.

Aye, that was when little Dickie was driving the Hammels.
Surely some of the commentators on this thread boarded the Hammels bus to get to Roker Park, must be forty odd year ago now.

Five foot two, eyes of blue, little Dickies after you tra la la la la la lar.
I remember Dickie. Jackie Hutchinson the midnight cowboy used to run it with Joe Beadnell. Mind that was 45 years ago before I moved to the US. I remember Watsons used to run 2 buses from Catchgate.

I worked in Stanley for a dozen years and have to say that no trip would be complete without a visit to Asda. Pity the OP hadn't come in December as they could have witnessed the traditional punch up in the aisles over the last frozen turkey.:D

I remember Dickie. Jackie Hutchinson the midnight cowboy used to run it with Joe Beadnell. Mind that was 45 years ago before I moved to the US. I remember Watsons used to run 2 buses from Catchgate.
Aye, Watsons tours used to supply coaches for the supporters club, were forever breaking down.

I am coming over from California to have a 3 week vacation in Annfield Plain. Please no "Look at me , pathetic". Does anybody know if there are any buses to the SOL for the Norwich game. As an aside are there any decent pubs in Annfield Plain or Stanley.
Stage coach 3 times a day. Twice on a Saturday. Horses get a rest on a Sunday. Pubs still shut for lunch as well.

If you venture as far as Consett...

Barry's Bargains will stun you (buy extra luggage for the stuff you'll take home)

And a pint of Guinness in the world's worst Irish Bar

I know my next holiday destination. I might extend it to four weeks though and take in the sights of East Durham. Apparently station town has a lot to offer

I am coming over from California to have a 3 week vacation in Annfield Plain. Please no "Look at me , pathetic". Does anybody know if there are any buses to the SOL for the Norwich game. As an aside are there any decent pubs in Annfield Plain or Stanley.
As someone who lives in Annfield Plain, I only have one question.

What the fuck were you thinking? 😂
I genuinely don't think I have belly laughed as much in the last 6 months as I have in the last 10 minutes reading through this thread. Just been absolutely hilarious!

For @HMB Mackem though. The Gillinghams bus takes off from the end of my street, stops outside where The Smiths Arms used to be in Catchgate, and also stops outside a place call the old mans hut (Annfield Plain Community Room) which is on the road up to Greencroft. Leaves the first stop 2 hours before kick off every game and they have bumped the prices up to £8 per head.

Last edited:

I genuinely don't think I have belly laughed as much in the last 6 months as I have in the last 10 minutes reading through this thread. Just been absolutely hilarious!

For @HMB Mackem though. The Gillinghams bus takes off from the end of my street, stops outside where The Smiths Arms used to be in Catchgate, and also stops outside a place call the old mans hut (Annfield Plain Community Room) which is on the road up to Greencroft. Leaves the first stop 2 hours before kick off every game and they have bumped the prices up to £8 per head.

But Gillinghams won’t let you book. You need to speak to the coach organiser.

Which brochure did you find that in? Topping up your tan I assume ...
or are you doing the Micky Horswill Trail?

Last edited:

£8 is good value TBF, the bus that picks me up from Blyth is £10. A fiver each way is still great value, especially in present times.

:lol: Actually not. Around about 1990 I knocked on my mates door in Leadgate, and multiple Olympic champion Ed Moses answered the door. They'd swapped houses for a month (mates dad was an artist who had painted a few olympians) and he was using their house as a base to explore the North East.

Perhaps the most surreal story i have ever read on here be great if you ever end up on Would I Lie to you

Back