Atheist Britain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my whole point though. Just because something feels comforting it doesn't make it true. Otherwise I could close my eyes, put on some soothing music and then wish away all the illnesses and nuclear weapons then I'd wish for Sunderland to win the FA Cup by beating the mags in the final. I think the chances of success are not that great though.

Whether or not, in some odd way, a believer thinks this god stuff is all "true" is up to them. However, they are nothing other than deluded.

I don't agree with that. The reason why may not be obvious, so allow me to stress it. I get criticised, a lot, for belittling religious beliefs. However it is only here on a discussion message board. I would never walk into a church and preach rational thinking. I would never give the Jehovah's Witnesses anything other than a polite "No thanks" at the door. I would never even bring up the subject with friends who might have religious beliefs or with strangers I see on the street. I'm not a card-carrying, T-shirt wearing atheist*. I don't even like the term 'atheist' as it implies there is something particular about a certain collection of people. The only thing so-called atheists necessarily have in common is that they don't believe in god. Since Christians don't believe in the Hindu, Roman or Ancient Greek gods then they're almost 'atheist' too themselves (although they can never really accept that point.)

I repeat, this is a message board for discussion, piss-taking, information, bragging (in some cases) and general craic. Any "name calling" or belittling I have done is always in response to a post on here. If believers want to post on here about supernatural beliefs then it is fair game to reply. That's no different to if I posted asking for help with my car. No matter which make of car it might be some clever sod would write ".... got an <insert car name>, pathetic" or something like it. Religion should not ever get any special protection. Yet those who reply with piss taking to posts on every other thread on here never get pulled up and accused of name calling, belittling etc.

If a religious believer takes the trouble to post on here that they believe in god, then that is no different to them posting on here stating that they believe in hobbits. They've both incredibly popular and both were written about in a book. Nobody has ever seen either. Nobody can prove they exist and nobody can prove they do not exist. The poster cannot then complain that, on a message board, they beliefs get pulled apart and have the piss taken out of them.

We've witnessed toys being thrown out of prams on this thread and it is hillarious. One even declared an exit but then couldn't resist coming back for more, even though his/her arguments were utterly destroyed every time he/she posted. He/she just could not provide any evidence to back up the claims he/she was making. I actually felt a little sorry for him/her at times.

If you try and picture in your mind how you would feel towards me if I worshipped hobbits every Sunday, took days of work to remember when Bilbo was born and when he died etc. That's kind of how I picture people like you. Nee offence like, but you're bonkers. :)

*EDIT: (Although I do have my avatar on the back of my car).
Because you're a bottler?

Put it this way, the vast majority of people posting and reading these threads agree with you, but I'd bet very few like you.

The overwhelming majority of posters on here have never met me. If they don't like "Kent_Mackem" based on what I post on here I can live with that. Those I have met from here, we get along fine.

I think everyone on here is a kernt, but I've not met any of you.

Except cowvalho so I stand by my initial statement

Ah, I see.

I see it more as fair game to take the piss on a message board. I'd happily have the same conversations in real life but I wouldn't start them.

I never understand that argument "You wouldn't say that if you were face to face, as someone would bray you"

A point based entirely on the fact that truth isn't as worthwhile as violence.

I never understand that argument "You wouldn't say that if you were face to face, as someone would bray you"

A point based entirely on the fact that truth isn't as worthwhile as violence.
That's not what I meant, I'm talking about basic civility.

That's not what I meant, I'm talking about basic civility.

I'm just surprised you don't complain about the other 99% of the threads on here. You will see exactly the same thing... piss taking and craic. People are over sensitive regarding religious beliefs. Fuck that.

I'm just surprised you don't complain about the other 99% of the threads on here. You will see exactly the same thing... piss taking and craic. People are over sensitive regarding religious beliefs. Fuck that.
I do regularly complain about the way people go on usually on pf but that's irrelevant and don't think I'm upset by anything you say I enjoy your bitter musings like I enjoy Richard Dawkins ludicrous conclusions.

If you look through this thread you'll see you've repeatedly told someone with cancer that the faith that helps them and strengthens them makes them a moron.

How do you feel about that?

I do regularly complain about the way people go on usually on pf but that's irrelevant and don't think I'm upset by anything you say I enjoy your bitter musings like I enjoy Richard Dawkins ludicrous conclusions.

If you look through this thread you'll see you've repeatedly told someone with cancer that the faith that helps them and strengthens them makes them a moron.

:eek:

I hope that person makes a full and quick recovery, like I said on my reply. They replied saying they appreciated that. They would would know my opinion which is praying is not going to help. Why bring emotion into a discussion about facts? Regarding your defensiveness against Richard Dawkins, calling his conclusions "ludicrous". Every conclusion I have read, heard or watched him make has been based on real evidence or sound logic. If you'd like to list those you think are wrong I'm sure it would be more than just I who would be fascinated to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back