Atheist Britain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

;) tell you all what I'll post up some reasons for my belief in the bible if anyone can justify their reasons for atheism

First of all I'm not a materialist but I'm also not theist because it is not logical to take something (God) that is infinite and therefore non-finite, and divide it into a number of finite pieces such as a soul. For God to have finite attributes would make God no longer infinite. If God was finite then he would have a beginning and an end between which he would be subjected to the effect of time and change. Such concepts as a finite God and soul are therefore constructs of the mind, born from fear of emptiness by the finite mind in my opinion. It's a very finite problem. ;)

There is of course another possibility that infinite space is filled with finite matter. If there was no matter then there would be no reference point and therefore no dimension. This emptiness permeates the entire universe and all matter is contained within it but it is also contained within all matter. Form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form. We are a part of this universe and therefore this infinite emptiness is also within us. It is not affected by time and therefore not subjected to change. It had no beginning and can have no end. It's what we really are.

Therefore I can not accept the belief in the external God as anything other than a construct of the mind and the word God does not amply to infinite emptiness as the universe was an emanation rather than a conscious creation. These are my concepts about the subject but they are still just concepts. Funny enough Jesus said God was within so was he referring to the external God?

First of all I'm not a materialist but I'm also not theist because it is not logical to take something (God) that is infinite and therefore non-finite, and divide it into a number of finite pieces such as a soul. For God to have finite attributes would make God no longer infinite. If God was finite then he would have a beginning and an end between which he would be subjected to the effect of time and change. Such concepts as a finite God and soul are therefore constructs of the mind, born from fear of emptiness by the finite mind in my opinion. It's a very finite problem. ;)

There is of course another possibility that infinite space is filled with finite matter. If there was no matter then there would be no reference point and therefore no dimension. This emptiness permeates the entire universe and all matter is contained within it but it is also contained within all matter. Form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form. We are a part of this universe and therefore this infinite emptiness is also within us. It is not affected by time and therefore not subjected to change. It had no beginning and can have no end. It's what we really are.

Therefore I can not accept the belief in the external God as anything other than a construct of the mind and the word God does not amply to infinite emptiness as the universe was an emanation rather than a conscious creation. These are my concepts about the subject but they are still just concepts. Funny enough Jesus said God was within so was he referring to the external God?
:lol: right I think what you're saying is that God doesn't exist because god is infinite and our souls aren't?

In a couple of thousand years time, will the religions of the world still be quoting events of over 4000 years ago? Will the non-secularist still use their doctrines to live their life and impose that fixed view on others?
Whereas science has and will continue to give answers to the life, nature and the universe in an up-to-date manner. How will this be reconciled with non-secularists? Atheism or at least agnosticism will surely prevail underpinned with science given it deals with facts.

@Kent_Mackem, I'm talking about the use of the word likely evolved through x or y.

Off the top of my head neanderthals and humans share mitochondrial dna, so we are relatives of sorts.

And evolving through different pressures is fine, but using common descent as an evidence of evolution for all life is extrapolation since the building blocks of life would be the same with a creator as well.

@Kent_Mackem, I'm talking about the use of the word likely evolved through x or y.

Off the top of my head neanderthals and humans share mitochondrial dna, so we are relatives of sorts.

And evolving through different pressures is fine, but using common descent as an evidence of evolution for all life is extrapolation since the building blocks of life would be the same with a creator as well.
:lol:

It shouldn't be hard for you to justify why you're an atheist

Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy? Have a think about that....
That's kind of where I stand with a (non)belief in god. It is utterly irrelevant and I dislike having a word to use for that position. We don't have a word or a person who does not believe in the Tooth Fairy, do we?

But that's not what Christians believed for centuries, and the only reason they changed their minds was because they were forced to by the advances of science. Once again religion contorts it's lies to try and fit with the evidence.

I always liked Jimmy Wales' quote regarding Wiki,

"If you can get your work published in respectable scientific journals -
that is to say, if you can produce evidence through
replicable scientific experiments,
then Wikipedia will cover it appropriately.

"What we won't do is pretend that the work of lunatic
charlatans is the equivalent of 'true scientific discourse'. It isn't."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back