Autumn Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Responds to the people who have entrusted his government to run the country on their behalf?

I dislike the odious little scrote, but can't find any fault with him for this. Even if it is simply to save votes, he has made the right decision.

Of course, he did qualify his statement with the fact that tax credits will be phased out with a move to Universal credit anyway, which will probably screw those in receipt of tax credits by the back door anyway. That was always the most intelligent thing to do regardless of whether you agree with the cuts or not

Of course, he did qualify his statement with the fact that tax credits will be phased out with a move to Universal credit anyway, which will probably screw those in receipt of tax credits by the back door anyway.
That's always been the case though.

So now there are no tax credit cuts, what have Labour got left to use against the Tories?

Nothing. Just silly, hard-left politics and overt obsession over ethical middle class issues such as trident that the electorate as a whole don't care about.
A romoured 30% cut to local government budgets that will affect schools, care etc and an allowed 2% rise in council tax to pay for it if labour have owt about them theyll find plenty of real issues to go at

So now there are no tax credit cuts, what have Labour got left to use against the Tories?

Nothing. Just silly, hard-left politics and overt obsession over ethical middle class issues such as trident that the electorate as a whole don't care about.
How about education, nhs, legal aid, food banks, welfare, foreign policy?

Labour aren't a one policy party. You're thinking of other parties. And Austerity is much more than just tax credits, man.

Have you seen his borrowing forecast? Think he's been playing Sim City, or 'fantasy Parliament' if he reckons he'll achieve this.

2015-16 -£73.5bn
2016-17 -£49.9bn
2017-18 -£24.8bn
2018-19 -£4.6bn
2019-20 +£10.1bn surplus
2020-21 +£14.7bn surplu

That's always been the case though.

Yes, which is why Osborne set himself up for a massive fall completely unnecessarily. If he had just waited until Universal credit was fully phased in, he could have claimed that people were better/worse off by whatever figures he wanted without having actual mathematics proving him incorrect.

Phew! Relieved hearing about tax credits. I'll read it all properly when I get in from work as I'm mega busy today.

Any surprises or is it all cuts and cuts as expected?

Labour aren't a one policy party. You're thinking of other parties. And Austerity is much more than just tax credits, man.

What can they do though? Say that they'll borrow more and spend more? The electorate blew them out in May for not believing that they had found a magic money tree in Ed's back garden.

If you haven't realized yet, austerity has strong public support. The Tories have tight control over the political narrative and it is only a fringe on the left who seriously oppose it. This is why Labour lost the election and this is why they have been sent into a frenzy unable to distinguish what they stand for.

And as for Labour's foreign policy, after the past week all I can say is: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, well it wouldn't be so funny if he was in power and dealing with the crises we have witnessed.

You're right though, whilst they are not not a one policy party, they are failing to get the message across on what they stand for. It's been an awful last few weeks for them.

And £25Bn ???? for stuff to blow up Muslims.

The forces have been chronically underfunded for years, and on the rare occasions when money was there we pissed it away on inadequate kit. The only reason we're not still cutting about in thin skinned land rovers is because it became a political issue. Buy cheap, buy umpteen times and only spend adequately when the blood starts appearing on their hands.

I dislike the odious little scrote, but can't find any fault with him for this. Even if it is simply to save votes, he has made the right decision.

Of course, he did qualify his statement with the fact that tax credits will be phased out with a move to Universal credit anyway, which will probably screw those in receipt of tax credits by the back door anyway. That was always the most intelligent thing to do regardless of whether you agree with the cuts or not

Gives you time to plan when it's going to be phased though. That's acceptable.

On the previous statement it was short notice that people were going to lose four figure sums per year and the taper relief meant some would only keep 7p in the pound for working extra hours. It was kind of like a working trap that would be difficult to get out of.

If you haven't realized yet, austerity has strong public support. The Tories have tight control over the political narrative and it is only a fringe on the left who seriously oppose it. This is why Labour lost the election and this is why they have been sent into a frenzy unable to distinguish what they stand for

And as for Labour's foreign policy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're right though, whilst they are not not a one policy party, they are failing to get the message across on what they stand for. It's been an awful last few weeks for them.

I must live in a different world to you.

Any surprises or is it all cuts and cuts as expected?

Big u turn on tax credit cuts. He's still talking though iirc.

Gives you time to plan when it's going to be phased though. That's acceptable.

On the previous statement it was short notice that people were going to lose four figure sums per year and the taper relief meant some would only keep 7p in the pound for working extra hours. It was kind of like a working trap that would be difficult to get out of.

People on tax credits enjoy transitional protection when moving over to UC anyway.

Hope they slash housing benefit,do away with tax credits and get people back to work full time .
it's the only way to get lazy fucks out the door and into Graft.

Benefits should be a last resort not a career choice .

I take it your career choice was to be a gullible pawn of the governments propaganda?

He's said he's going to still deliver £12 billion in welfare cuts. He's just written off about £4 billion of savings in the tax credit u-turn, which benefits is he going to raid to deliver the £12 billion?

I must live in a different world to you.

Maybe I should refine my point. Austerity is not "loved" by the public, but you'll find that it has a strong political legitimacy which the public endorse. The Tories have continually imposed austerity on the grounds that it is a "Necessity to cut the deficit" and "labour spent all the money" and this narrative has largely worked.

People see it as necessary. They see perceive no other capable economic narrative as being competent. This is why Labour have become so bruised and divided.

Maybe I should refine my point. Austerity is not "loved" by the public, but you'll find that it has a strong political legitimacy which the public endorse. The Tories have continually imposed austerity on the grounds that it is a "Necessity to cut the deficit" and "labour spent all the money" and this narrative has largely worked.

People see it as necessary. They see perceive no other capable economic narrative as being competent. This is why Labour have become so bruised and divided.

People are idiots and believe the household budget analogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back