Basingstoke

Yes, I worked there for a year and half, my first proper job. It was ok and I had a good time - 35 minutes on the train to London. Was over the moon when I moved back north though.

I'm out just past Sherborne St John, are you a neighbour then? :lol:
I live in Kingsclere, not too far away
The areas outside are fine but I'm not sure I'd be up for living in town tbh.
Yes, you do not have to go too far out of the town to get into nice areas. The town serves it's purpose. We live half way between Basingstoke and Newbury. Basingstoke is better for practical things like shopping, cinemas, gyms, etc and the transport links are a lot better. If we were going to either for a night out it would always be Newbury.

Tried to move to Kingsclere in the past as I love the area but never worked out. Now happily settled a few miles away.

Used to go there to Sasso for Italian. matey serving had a trick he would do with a cigarette paper where he lit it on fire and performed some magic. I forget what he did exactly.

Tried to move to Kingsclere in the past as I love the area but never worked out. Now happily settled a few miles away.

Used to go there to Sasso for Italian. matey serving had a trick he would do with a cigarette paper where he lit it on fire and performed some magic. I forget what he did exactly.
Sadly Sasso closed about 4 or 5 years ago. It was less than two minutes walk from our house. It is an art gallery now :(

Yes, you do not have to go too far out of the town to get into nice areas. The town serves it's purpose. We live half way between Basingstoke and Newbury. Basingstoke is better for practical things like shopping, cinemas, gyms, etc and the transport links are a lot better. If we were going to either for a night out it would always be Newbury.
Some strange owld characters skulking around Newbury mind down that main high street was working there earlier this year characters not a set of teeth between them 😬

Sadly Sasso closed about 4 or 5 years ago. It was less than two minutes walk from our house. It is an art gallery now :(
oh that's a shame. I sometimes park up in the car park across from the church, walk up through the slopey playing field, through the field with the horse training going on and up throuhg the woods into the fields above. lovely walk and great views!

Sure it wasn't Tommy cooper ??

Yes, been to Hook to the east of Basingstoke plenty of times with work, but used to stay at the Basingstoke Country Hotel on London Road.

oh that's a shame. I sometimes park up in the car park across from the church, walk up through the slopey playing field, through the field with the horse training going on and up throuhg the woods into the fields above. lovely walk and great views!
I live in the road with the car park. I have never actually been up through the woods. I usually go up the hill further East, past the transmitter mast and then along to Watership Down.

Hampshire classed as southeast Dorset southwest
Not for me. It is south, just as Paddy says.

Anyhow, @longers and I have recently been having days out in various towns on the Waterloo to Poole line. Basingstoke was terrible. A total desert of decent pubs and beer. The only places I would recommend were the Queens, outside the station, and the cricket club. The latter was fantastic.

The only town to pip Basingstoke to the title of worst crawl was New Milton.

I'm out just past Sherborne St John, are you a neighbour then? :lol:
Lived there for a short while. Had a remedial contract in Basingstoke which was probably then the most non descript place imaginable. Some of the surrounding area I remember as very picturesque. Essentially Basingstoke was a sleepy market town ruined by London overspill. The quality of the housing stock was shocking.

Back