Basingstoke

Lived there for a short while. Had a remedial contract in Basingstoke which was probably then the most non descript place imaginable. Some of the surrounding area I remember as very picturesque. Essentially Basingstoke was a sleepy market town ruined by London overspill. The quality of the housing stock was shocking.
I'm sure you'll be surprised to hear that the expansion of the town up by the hospital for both private and social housing stock has done nothing to improve the quality of said properties since you were here.

Not for me. It is south, just as Paddy says.

Anyhow, @longers and I have recently been having days out in various towns on the Waterloo to Poole line. Basingstoke was terrible. A total desert of decent pubs and beer. The only places I would recommend were the Queens, outside the station, and the cricket club. The latter was fantastic.

The only town to pip Basingstoke to the title of worst crawl was New Milton.
Yes, Basingstoke is a dire place to go drinking. Winchester is much better for beer and history, though don't expect any street vendors selling a mild chicken curry as you'll be disappointed.

Not for me. It is south, just as Paddy says.

Anyhow, @longers and I have recently been having days out in various towns on the Waterloo to Poole line. Basingstoke was terrible. A total desert of decent pubs and beer. The only places I would recommend were the Queens, outside the station, and the cricket club. The latter was fantastic.

The only town to pip Basingstoke to the title of worst crawl was New Milton.
You want to gan to aldershite for a night out give gaza a good run for it's money😬😬

used to cycle past AWE as kids swearing and shouting at the coppers with guns as the game was to see who could get a gun pointed at them. I don't think anyone was ever successful.

Baughurst > Tadley
Aye I used to work on the site, car used to get checked every morning, security was very high as you can imagine. Is the Fox and Hounds pub still in Tadley, had few sessions in there!

Back