Blood donation

ouro

Striker
I was a donor for a good while, gold badges and everything, but because I spent so much time in malaria hotspots I had to step back. I have logged in again now I work in the UK, but the nearest donation spots are miles away. Fuck's going on? There should be a 'drop a pint off' booth at the hospital.

I was a donor for a good while, gold badges and everything, but because I spent so much time in malaria hotspots I had to step back. I have logged in again now I work in the UK, but the nearest donation spots are miles away. Fuck's going on? There should be a 'drop a pint off' booth at the hospital.

Where are you working now if you don’t mind me asking?

It's silly. I want to gove every time my time line runs out and you get an appointment miles away at a random time in 6 months. Then get a text saying we are in urgent need of blood.

Same here, get messages constantly we are in urgent need of your blood type and then when I log in, there’s only appointments months in the future in places like Birtley which is no good for me

I received a text during the pandemic stating there was a blood drive on due to dangerously low stocks.

Booked my appointment, took the afternoon off work, got a friend to drop me off at the venue, joined the queue.

Get to the front and the nurse says "ah we've cancelled your appointment" but couldn't tell me why. So that was a waste of time, and now I'm convinced I've got the lurgy or something.

It's a lot more difficult than it used to be. I used to go to the walk ins but stopped when I was refused for not having an appointment (this was before appointments became more formal).

Started again when the blood van used to come to the office site. However, I have not seen that for years now.

It's a shame, I realise these things need to be organised from the NHS side of things people's lives are so busy now it's difficult.

Last edited:
Didn't they used to travel round factories and workplaces to do it? IS that not a thing anymore?

I'm due to donate again in March, earliest appointment I could get and I booked that probably 6 weeks ago now.

They used to come to my place of work, but due to funding cuts they stopped about 15 years ago.

I've given 82 donations to date, and give it blood every 3/4 months. I always book my next appointment the day after I've donated, never had an issue. Sometimes it's at Birtley, George Washington hotel, C-le-S, Durham, but always able to get an appointment. Suppose if you really want to give it, you'll do so, even if you have to wait a couple of months before you can.

Same for me always book the morning after donation and usually works out ok at the same venue - George Washington. However I forgot a few years ago and getting back into sync was a nightmare. Nothing available locally within months and got bounced around for a couple of donations all over the place as far aware as Dunston (bugger to get to) . Eventually managed to get back in sync at Washy. Been a long term donor but even I have to admit they don’t make it easy to donate these days ☹️

Didn't they used to travel round factories and workplaces to do it? IS that not a thing anymore?
Yep. They would turn up at our office regularly but stopped a while ago. That was the last time I donated.

Our new office probably couldn't accommodate them and every time I've tried to book a new appointment it's been somewhere ridiculous at a time and date that means time off work.

Remember going to a church in the 80s while my step ma gave blood, had to be carried out for some orange and a biscuit as I went all woozy watching it :confused: :lol:

Yep. They would turn up at our office regularly but stopped a while ago. That was the last time I donated.

Our new office probably couldn't accommodate them and every time I've tried to book a new appointment it's been somewhere ridiculous at a time and date that means time off work.
Agreed. If they did fewer donation centres and more random lorries in the car park I reckon they'd do a lot better. I'm on the blood, marrow and platelet list. Barely get any contact whatsoever

They make it so it is as awkward as possible for the donor to donate it seems

They used to have big drop-in clinics at the hospital for staff to donate. Was packed out every time then they just stopped. Can't be that blimen desperate for blood nowadays. 🤷‍♂️

I mentioned this a few weeks back. I gave blood at City Hall and it seemed really quiet. When I asked, I was told there'd been a load of no shows recently. Find a session, even one without appointments, and just rock up.

They make it so it is as awkward as possible for the donor to donate it seems

They used to have big drop-in clinics at the hospital for staff to donate. Was packed out every time then they just stopped. Can't be that blimen desperate for blood nowadays. 🤷‍♂️

They actually told me in the session that my blood was earmarked for a baby. It might have been bullshit; if not, it would suggest that they are having problems.

Last edited:
It’s a piece of piss.

Go onto the app or website and add your postcode, filter by soonest (adjust the start date to today) then click into it when it appears and it’ll give you all donor sessions at that centre.

There’ll be plenty of options.

Just don’t expect one tomorrow as regular donors book these up when they’ve last donated.

Walk-ins were ok but you’d find you’d wait longer. Plus with appointments they can manage stock levels easy rather than hoping people turn up. Especially in times of higher demand.

I mentioned this a few weeks back. I gave blood at City Hall and it seemed really quiet. When I asked, I was told there'd been a load of no shows recently. Find a session, even one without appointments, and just rock up.

They actually told me in the session that my blood was earmarked for a baby. It might have been bullshit; if not, it would suggest that they are having problems.
Oh aye. I know they still desperately need donations but they/the system has a funny way of showing it.

Oh aye. I know they still desperately need donations but they/the system has a funny way of showing it.
You’re not trying hard enough. If you really want to donate it’s a piece of piss. Find a slot, even if it’s a few months away and book a time that fits. It’s not difficult.

And it might not be on your doorstep so a short drive might be needed, not the end of the world to potentially save someone’s life.

Back