Blood donation

What is stopping you from donating now? Because it’s not at work?
Because it's a lot less convenient now, aye. I mean it's a fair enough point like. Last time I spoke to them i'd have had to leave work early and drive to Houghton for the appointment. Mint.

Because it's a lot less convenient now, aye. I mean it's a fair enough point like. Last time I spoke to them i'd have had to leave work early and drive to Houghton for the appointment. Mint.
Definitely sounds like you’re not trying hard enough. Go on now and get a late evening appointment.

Piece of cake.

The app is so easy to navigate mind and availability is decent especially if you're booking well ahead.

You've always got the main centre in Newcastle where you can go any time.

The app is so easy to navigate mind and availability is decent especially if you're booking well ahead.

You've always got the main centre in Newcastle where you can go any time.
It’s unbelievable that because they’ve changed their donation strategy to appointment only, at selected centres people are saying it’s too hard.

I’d be surprised if it’s not one of the best run, efficient services in the NHS.

I know hospitals, A&E and mental health services are nowhere near the level of planning, sophistication and execution as NHSBT.

Donated years ago for a bit then stopped. Started again a couple months ago, at the local firestation 5 mins drive from home. Went to re-book but closest place was 25 mins drive away. Still booked in, will have to learn from last time when they almost stopped me donating because i was on night shift and they were worried about me going to work later that night :lol:

Well done the donors.

Pisses me right off when people say “I’d like to donate but I’m scared of needles”. Bloody puffs. (I’ve seen some of them covered in tatts!) They should be banned from receiving a donation. “Hey sorry - you were in a car crash and need a on IV and a transfusion. We’d love to help you but we can’t since you’re afraid of needles so good luck in the afterlife maybe you won’t be such a selfish ponce in heaven.”

I used to donate semi regularly but English people are banned over here as there’s no test in the blood for the mad cow disease that happened in England many years ago.

I’m on the ‘Be The Match’ registry for bone marrow since my sister had leukemia back in the nineties. I said on here a couple of years ago I’d never heard from them and had probably aged out. One week later got a call out of the blue asking me to go and donate bone marrow. Ended up going twice. It seems they aren’t bothered about the slim likelihood of me having mad cow having lived for a time in England since 1980. Very well looked after and while the odds of getting asked again are slim (I’m not jinxing this am I?) suppose I wouldn’t mind going again. Makes up for not having been able to donate blood and as O positive I’m a universal donor.

Anyway well done the donors and keep it up.

It’s a piece of piss.

Go onto the app or website and add your postcode, filter by soonest (adjust the start date to today) then click into it when it appears and it’ll give you all donor sessions at that centre.

There’ll be plenty of options.

Just don’t expect one tomorrow as regular donors book these up when they’ve last donated.

Walk-ins were ok but you’d find you’d wait longer. Plus with appointments they can manage stock levels easy rather than hoping people turn up. Especially in times of higher demand.
I used to donate at Ewesley Road Methodist church or Burn Park Methodist. Both in walking distance. Now I get Birtley or Gateshead. Do they not want my tiger blood?

Why do you lot always want to ban people from things? Not very inclusive and progressive is it.
1. “You lot”? - You mean English?
2. If one is too scared of needles to donate blood then it only seems reasonable and humane to avoid the stress and anxiety of using a needle to begin an IV procedure and thus allow that person to continue what life remains to them in the calmness and serenity of a needle-free existence.

Back