Body Clock

Georgewhitt

Midfield
My new job has involves shift patterns that include 10 and 12 hr night shifts. Just finished a run of 4 straight 10hr nights. Got up at 5pm Sunday, and still awake now. I work that out to be 31hrs, and I still feel wide awake.
Anyone else work strange hours, and fuck about with normal sleep?

I’ve done nights and 4 on 4 off shifts.

To be fair I rarely sleep more than 6/7 hours so it rarely bothered me.

Can see why it’ll trouble a lot of people.

Me dad’s in bits, done nights every 3 weeks for most of his life. Used to just adapt. Get in at 6am, sleep til 2pm, get up. When he got his current position at 61 it was on the caveat that he wouldn’t have to do nights anymore.

He honestly looks a lot healthier.

I’m normally up quite late, always have done. I tend to need 5 to 6 hours sleep max.

Problem is stimulation late at night. When you just can’t switch off, it’s tricky.

Currently sitting downstairs after being awake since 1.45 so as not to wake our lass up.... she's up for work about 6 but I start about 2 today so will have to get some more kip later on 😕

As a younger lad I did a paper round then moved on to a milk round. I was always an early riser but I swear twenty years on I'll still wake up ready to load the float. It's doesn't take much to fuck up your body clock and getting it back can be a right fuck on.

Just up for days now, I do a 4 on 4 off shift pattern which is 2 12 hour days followed by 2 12 hour nights then 4 days off (3 really as your a kip part of the first one). Never used to bother me but now I’m in my 40s I feel knackered most the time I’m on shift. Don’t sleep anywhere as long as I should. Looking for a new job now to try and get out of nights and have a regular sleep pattern.

It's a well established fact that changing shift patterns are really really bad for your health.

Night shift workers especially are much more likely to have problems with their hearts than workers on a standard pattern for example.

Unfortunately for myself I do on-call work, so I can do my standard hours, then be expected to work as required overnight, on weekends, anytime they need me. I hate it.

Back