Book thread #8686868

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Of all of the genres of fiction, it's the one that's treated as if it's a completely separate entity with little overlap, even when mainstream critically acclaimed authors move in and out of it.

Definitely, if we're including Fantasy in that genre. Crime and thrillers as well.

I actually saw an article the other day in the Grauniad when I was googling for fantasy novels to try, with a headline like "Should Fantasy and science fiction do more than just entertain?" as if no one in that genre had ever bothered to try it before...

Definitely, if we're including Fantasy in that genre. Crime and thrillers as well.

I actually saw an article the other day in the Grauniad when I was googling for fantasy novels to try, with a headline like "Should Fantasy and science fiction do more than just entertain?" as if no one in that genre had ever bothered to try it before...
The ignorance of the people who spout that kind of shit really boils my piss. :evil:

might have to check this out... sounds interesting... what period does it cover?
US history.

Currently reading Marching Powder by Thomas McFadden and Rusty Young. Utterly fascinating account of prison life in Bolivia.

Recently finished I Am Zlatan - he comes across as a right helmet, Genius by James Gleick - the life and times of Richard Feynman, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and Invasion by DC Alden - mentioned earlier in this thread, which seems to have eerily similar parallels to ISIS' beginnings.

Next up is The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer . Also have Post Office by Charles Bukowski, The Reluctant Communist by Charles Jenkins, Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes, The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel and the Matterhorn and Agent Zigzag books to wade through amongst others.

Yeah. Of all of the genres of fiction, it's the one that's treated as if it's a completely separate entity with little overlap, even when mainstream critically acclaimed authors move in and out of it.

Never ever been interested in science fiction in any form.

That and poetry and shakespeare are a blank to me.

Currently reading Marching Powder by Thomas McFadden and Rusty Young. Utterly fascinating account of prison life in Bolivia.

Recently finished I Am Zlatan - he comes across as a right helmet, Genius by James Gleick - the life and times of Richard Feynman, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and Invasion by DC Alden - mentioned earlier in this thread, which seems to have eerily similar parallels to ISIS' beginnings.

Next up is The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer . Also have Post Office by Charles Bukowski, The Reluctant Communist by Charles Jenkins, Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes, The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel and the Matterhorn and Agent Zigzag books to wade through amongst others.

I enjoyed Shock of The Fall and Henry Chinasky is always fun.

Post Office will be my first foray into Bukowski territory.
His books are barely stories, mostly ramblings related to his life and sexual desires, yet he is still eminently readable. He's certainly a conundrum, Bukowski.

I enjoy both poetry and Shakey in live performance but would never consider reading either.

I've never seen John Cooper Clarke and I have no idea why because he's great.

going to see him at the Sage in October. Love John betjemen as well.

I will start listening to poetry. I'm inspired!

My daughter recently filled in a list of the 10 books that stayed with you and one of them was Tana Tuva or Bust by Richard Feynman, it was my book and I was dead proud she had read it and thought it was good.

I've never seen John Cooper Clarke and I have no idea why because he's great.

going to see him at the Sage in October. Love John betjemen as well.

I will start listening to poetry. I'm inspired!

John Betjemen is brilliant a Sub Altern Love song and Slough are works of utter genius.

My daughter recently did this on Facebook - the 10 books that stayed with you

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Whit by Iain Banks
Watchmen by Alan Moore
Demon Thief by Darren Shan
Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce
The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
Tuva or Bust! by Ralph Leighton
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Devil's Party: A History of Charlatan Messiahs by Colin Wilson
Transmetropolitan + Nextwave by Warren Ellis

She is far more intellectual than me - these are my ten :-

The Tin Drum - Gunther Grasse
The World According to Garp - John Irving
Into Thin Air - John Krakauer (sp?)
The Stand - Stephen King
Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
Touching the Void - Joe Simpson
The Wasp Factory - Ian Banks
The Last Mughal - William Dalrymple
Dune - Frank Herbert (and I have read them all)
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

My daughter recently did this on Facebook - the 10 books that stayed with you

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Whit by Iain Banks
Watchmen by Alan Moore
Demon Thief by Darren Shan
Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce
The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
Tuva or Bust! by Ralph Leighton
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Devil's Party: A History of Charlatan Messiahs by Colin Wilson
Transmetropolitan + Nextwave by Warren Ellis

She is far more intellectual than me - these are my ten :-

The Tin Drum - Gunther Grasse
The World According to Garp - John Irving
Into Thin Air - John Krakauer (sp?)
The Stand - Stephen King
Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
Touching the Void - Joe Simpson
The Wasp Factory - Ian Banks
The Last Mughal - William Dalrymple
Dune - Frank Herbert (and I have read them all)
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Really!?! That's the only Iain Banks/Iain M. Banks book that I didn't bother to finish.

I really enjoyed Whit. Probably my third favourite of his after The Crow Road and Complicity.
Oh well, it's around the house somewhere [probably stuck in a box]. If I come across it I might stick it in my bag one morning and give it another go.

Not sure it'd make my over all top 10. Oddly, between you and your daughter, you've got three John Irving books but not the one I'd pick, The Cider House Rules.
If you asked me tomorrow it might be in the list, probably my most read author and though I love the Cider House Rules, Garp was the first I read and Owen Meany is still my favourite. I could fill a top ten with his books to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back