Bygone words

My dad was Irish and I remember him saying piece for sandwich in his 'snap'. Mind he liked a good butty as well.
Jocks have some strange ones.

They call sandwiches "pieces" I think.🤷‍♂️
Muggles and Penkas in Hetton anarl.

And a "Casey" was a proper leather football, from when they were laced up balls, with a rubber bladder and "T Case" panels.🙂
You'd be hoping the casey didn't need heading especially when it was soaking wet whimp or what?😰

Last edited:
My dad was Irish and I remember him saying piece for sandwich in his 'snap'. Mind he liked a good butty as well.

You'd be hoping the casey didn't need heading especially when it was soaking wet whimp or what?😰
Snap in Yorkshire too, remember going to my first job in Donny and talking about my bait, they laughed their arses off at me, “you going fishing or eating your dinner cock” 🤬.

Pass us that ‘ammer me owld love ! 👍
Geeower tha not borrorring my hammer love get thee own
Snap in Yorkshire too, remember going to my first job in Donny and talking about my bait, they laughed their arses off at me, “you going fishing or eating your dinner cock” 🤬.
Me dad worked int steelworks Parkgate near Rovram for 40 odd years that's where snap came from.

Last edited:

Like I said earlier marra. Headed a wet casey on the laces when I was 8. Still got a 2" scar on my forehead now, and I'm 59. 🤣

Also, words like Thee, Thine and Thow were common language in Hetton, insted of you or yours. Been away for 40 odd years, so don't know if that's still the same?
You used to see it coming and think " Oh fuck, I've got to heed this or everyone will think I'm a c**t" 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Also, words like Thee, Thine and Thow were common language in Hetton, insted of you or yours. Been away for 40 odd years, so don't know if that's still the same?

You used to see it coming and think " Oh fuck, I've got to heed this or everyone will think I'm a c**t" 🤣🤣🤣
Did they drown witches anarl?

Bloody medieval

One of my late dads sayings when someone said something stupid.. "Dow talk pisspotical".
You ever heard tapes of the two black country comedians Enoch and Ely?

"Went fishing last week. Caught a whale"

"Yow caught a whale?. What yow do with it?"

"Ah throw it back. It dow have no spokes in it"

🤣🤣🤣
Segs. We always put Segs in our shoes to sound like a regiment when we walked.
Always used to put Segs in my Brogues, Riders and Hawkers marra.😁

Last edited:
Is it also now the name for that sort of brittle toffee with nuts in it? Maybe called after weird coal craving .

I have heard of women craving coal when pregnant tho, always thought it might have something to do with charcoal????? Is there charcoal in coal? Seems obvious but not sure.
Charcoal is various varieties of burnt wood, unsure of it's epicurean value.
😁

Back