Can a fullback play equally good at right or left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could do the job defensively but you would lose any attaching ability down the left.

I remember times when Bardsley was playing LB, we had no left winger and we basically attacked with only one wing and the opposition was able to double up on the right and close us down.

That was because we mixed unnatural full back with unnatural sided wide player.

At least one of them needed to be a natural left footer to use the width.

A little debate going on here to whether a good fullback can play equally well on either side. For me a good full back can adapt and play right or left hand side of the pitch. OK they may favour their stronger foot but they can adapt and use their positional skills to perform to a good standard. For e.g. A few recent names who have done it are:

Irwin
Monreal
P.Nev
I'm right footed but can pass and tackle with my left to some extent. (but wouldn't say I was both footed)

I found playing at left back exactly the same as right back. Judging by other posters, not everyone finds it as easy.

So to answer your question, it depends how one footed you are.

I personally find it harder myself when I play left back. I can play the position and do alright but never to the same standards as i do right back. At left back ill get turned on the outside and use my right leg to try nick the ball or block the cross, leaves me unbalanced or I just don't get a touch on the ball. I'm also not as effective going forward as Ill cut inside more times than not.

Obviously a few will be able to do it to a certain standard but in my experience most are better in their natural position at full back.
This. Whilst there are many full backs who can play on the wrong side, there is a risk that they leave themselves exposed and off balance by attacking the ball with their natural foot.

Our most potent left wing combination was Micky Gray and Allan Johnston - Magic, whilst naturally right footed could go on either side with either foot (how I miss those step overs!) and MG use to motor up the left filling the space Magic created. Not sure a right footed LB could have done that

These days wingers are so versatile, quick, skillful and two footed that putting a full back out of position is suicide, IMO.

We seen with Bardsley and Reveillere that they couldn't kick with their left foot so often they'd be left flat footed and, when we got forward, would often play the ball backwards as their lack of strength on their wrong foot meant they struggled to deliver a cross when getting up the pitch.

Well organised teams at this level should have two left footed, quick, defensively sound left backs and two right footed, quick, defensively sound right backs. Unfortunately we aren't particularly well organised on or off the pitch.

Mind, I wouldn't be adverse to giving someone like Tom Robson a chance eventually. Gooch and Watmore have slotted in with ease when given a chance and maybe we'll get an opportunity (in the FA cup perhaps?) to give this lad a go.

A little debate going on here to whether a good fullback can play equally well on either side. For me a good full back can adapt and play right or left hand side of the pitch. OK they may favour their stronger foot but they can adapt and use their positional skills to perform to a good standard. For e.g. A few recent names who have done it are:

Irwin
Monreal
P.Nev
No they can't. A lot to be said for steady, if not spectacular fullbacks. They don't have to "bomb on" or become wingers either. Their job is to crunch wingers/wide men and defend. See Joe Bolton, Iain Munro etc.

I used to play both, but if you change sides its similar to that on the wing. If you are on the left on a right foot I would always cut in and attempt to find a centre midfielder or attempt passes with my left when I had momentum and if the pass was not too hard.

Also when defending I found it was easier as the attacker would often cut to my left but if I allowed him to ran pass me with a few extra yards then I could easily cut it out with my right foot.

John Kay's cross with his left foot for Marco's goal.
Still get goosebumps at the noise in the last 10 minutes of the first half.

Defensively, probably. The current dominance of wingers playing on their 'wrong' side makes it a potential bonus that the fullback is doing the same. From an attacking perspective, however, it is a clear and obvious disadvantage - for both the individual and the team. A fullback and a wide forward both being on ther 'wrong' foot means that the team basically concedes a ten foot strip all down the touchline

True. However it's almost always preferable for that player to be the fullback

Last edited:
Defensively, probably. The current dominance of wingers playing on their 'wrong' side makes it a potential bonus that the fullback is doing the same. From an attacking perspective, however, it is a clear and obvious disadvantage - for both the individual and the team. A fullback and a wide forward both being on ther 'wrong' foot means that the team basically concedes a ten foot strip all down the touchline

True. However it's almost always preferable for that player to be the fullback

i think i agree with that although the issue is clouded because of the different degrees of ability actual players have on their weaker foot so there will always be examples that go against the rule.

if the full back is the natural left footer on the left then his job will be limited to running up and down that touchline so he would maybe find it easier to get back into position when an attack breaks down whereas a right footed left back cutting in during an attack can find himself ending up on the wrong side of the pitch.

Irwin
Monreal
P.Nev
Candela

Some can, some can't.

Just because you can play right back does not automatically mean you can play left back effectively, and vice versa.

It's as simple as that: depends on the individual.
Yes, the two positions are very different for a mainly one-sided player. Some can do both.

If you've only got one foot then you shouldn't really be a professional footballer.
You can train your weaker foot to be decent, but your whole body is still oriented to one side. You can see that in pros all the time.

Last edited:
I could do both with no dip in my usual average standard, I would hope a professional who's only job all day was to kick a ball about should be able to handle it, it pisses me off why so many are so one footed it's untrue.

Can you whip crosses in to the same standard with both feet?

I think defensively playing either side shouldnt be an issue, but when asked to go forward i think full backs in general (although are exceptions) cant do as good a job on wrong side.

Can you whip crosses in to the same standard with both feet?

I think defensively playing either side shouldnt be an issue, but when asked to go forward i think full backs in general (although are exceptions) cant do as good a job on wrong side.
Why aye, I also don't have to tackle with the 'wrong foot', which no matter how well you do it never looks right because it always looks like your thighs clash first which makes it look like a foul (which it often is!) I find kicking with my left (weaker) foot isn't natural but I concentrate more so I can often time it better and hit it sweeter, strange really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back