Cash is King

It was just an extra take on the cashless thing.

Market-driven, and have shown they can't be trusted with it. 15 years on and we're all still significantly poorer since they crashed the world's economy.

Should have kept them in the public's hands and ran then for the public good, providing sensible mortgages, loans, and advice.
Yes comrade.

The government.
Which other service are you refering to?
I'm just referring to businesses in general.

Why should the government have the power to tell a bank they should be keeping branches that are almost certainly losing money open?

Should we give them that same power over every business in every sector?

All the "Cash is King" people are all about avoiding government control, but you would be happy for them to have the power to control businesses?

Doesn't add up.

Why should the government have the power to tell a bank they should be keeping branches that are almost certainly losing money open?

Maybe because they were bailed out with billions of government and taxpayers money when they fucked the global economy because they were totally inept?

A little bit of governance and government control might not be such a bad thing.

Maybe because they were bailed out with billions of government and taxpayers money when they fucked the global economy because they were totally inept?

A little bit of governance and government control might not be such a bad thing.
And the answer is forcing them to keep open branches that are losing money? :lol:

It was just an extra take on the cashless thing.

Market-driven, and have shown they can't be trusted with it. 15 years on and we're all still significantly poorer since they crashed the world's economy.

Should have kept them in the public's hands and ran then for the public good, providing sensible mortgages, loans, and advice.

The Post Office used to have state-owned Girobank (which was fairly limited in what it offered). Sold it to Alliance and Leicester who in turn sold out to Santander. Should have been kept state-owned and developed it.

Should be made to, by law, for the good of society.
It is one of those things that gets difficult to legislate, how many branches must a smaller bank have? How big does an area have to be before it qualifies for a bank etc? But I see what you are saying.

Things like this, it is the older people who are the most likely to miss out. But the Post Office is covering some gaps, and old people like nothing better than holding up the queue at a post office, so this gives them more reason to do so.

I bank is different in that it really is an essential to operate in the modern world. I think it is solved now, but as recent as the 90s, not having a bank account was a huge issue for homeless people and something comic relief campaigned about. It left them non members of society. I think of my gran if she was still around and I don't think she would cope well in the modern world.

I've disagreed with CEF a lot on this thread, and I don't think all branches by legislation is workable. But I think he is right in his fundamental point that there are some people in society who need at least one place they can visit with ease.

Tomorrow that could be any one of us (hopefully not). What if at 2am this morning, you smelt smoke, got the family out the house and lost everything? You suddenly find that all your account details, your passport and your multifactor authentication device (probably your cash too) have gone? An extreme example but that is a time when you really want to be able to sit down with someone you can help you become a functional member of society again ASAP. A lot of people have reported struggles just losing their phone. I could not login to work or my bank account if mine was lost.

Last edited:
I'm just referring to businesses in general.

All the "Cash is King" people are all about avoiding government control, but you would be happy for them to have the power to control businesses?

Doesn't add up.
Yep banks, electric, buses, trains, water etc.

Should be about providing a good service to society, not what ever is cheapest or makes the biggest profit.

not me. i like having actual money in my pocket and prefer to pay for stuff with it.

it's like saying that all the folk using cards/'phones to pay for things are selfish and paving the way for an awful lot of folk to be left being abandoned in the name of 'progress' just because it's easier for them.

Back