Clash/Pistols question

cluffy

Striker
Do you reckon The Clash just copied the Pistols image/wardrobe?
Obviously Vivienne and Malcom dressed the Pistols but did Bernie Rhodes get a job lot of gear from them too?
Just wondered! I don’t mind the clash but they seem a bit like they jumped on the bandwagon 😆

Pretty sure Joe saw the Pistols and cut his hair etc so clothes would have followed
He also said I want a proper band like yours after seeing the Stranglers .That's one thing that put me off the Clash
The image overhauls
Just felt a bit ott.

Think the Pistols were going while Joe was still in the 101ers & he thought they were great, but I definitely don’t believe the Clash just copied the Pistols.

The alternative fashion thing was going long before the Pistols formed, just Malcolm & Vivienne used them as marketing on stage, but the whole punk subculture was there regardless of the Pistols, they just possibly advertised to quite a bit.

So no.

However, my post is based purely on books & documentaries, cos I wasn’t born. Even those that were born on this board wouldn’t have been there as the nearest thing you’ll get is a gig or music press & there wasn’t many gigs to actually get too, especially up here. Pistols wise Northallerton might be nearest? Or Boro.
The Clash just weren’t very good in my opinion.
Everybody is allowed their opinion, but you’ve just made the silliest post since silly posts were invented with the sole purpose of being silly. Silly billy.

Last edited:
Do you reckon The Clash just copied the Pistols image/wardrobe?
Obviously Vivienne and Malcom dressed the Pistols but did Bernie Rhodes get a job lot of gear from them too?
Just wondered! I don’t mind the clash but they seem a bit like they jumped on the bandwagon 😆
No

Both bands had their own image. The stencilled shirts military type clothing. The shop Boy on the Kings Road was where you could get a lot of the Clash gear whilst Sex/Seditionnaries was the shop for the Pistols clothing. Kahn and Bell in Birmingham also sold the clothing. As a punk at the time you could buy original vintage clothing add a few things from the above and that was the look. In my mind the Pistols look was more iconic whilst the early Clash look was a bit derivative.

The Clash looked miles better than the Pistols in the early years(there was only ever early years for Johnny and co)
Ironic considering that The Sex Pistols were literally created just for the purpose of promoting Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood’s designer clothes shop.

They looked totally different. In retrospect The Clash looked like a rock band, whilst The Pistols looked utterly different to what was previously thought of as the norm for a band.
The Clash image on Bank Robber was a huge step up. Punk for the 80’s. The Pistols look was pure Westwood . Rotten has maintained his own style. Cook and Jones without the Westwood/McClaren input was 70’s naff.Matlock still maintains a vintage 50’s vibe.
Viscous was cartoon punk.

Back