Clash/Pistols question

Clash didn't look that similar to be fair. Had Paul Simonon, who was quite arty, and went for the splattered paint look. Never really sported the sex shop stuff.
Played a P bass too I seem to recall.

One pickup one volume one tone.

Simples

The Trent House in Newcastle used to have a superb juke box.

Not been in for a while so I have no idea if it’s now full of Dua Lipa and Burna Boy

Think the Pistols were going while Joe was still in the 101ers & he thought they were great, but I definitely don’t believe the Clash just copied the Pistols.

The alternative fashion thing was going long before the Pistols formed, just Malcolm & Vivienne used them as marketing on stage, but the whole punk subculture was there regardless of the Pistols, they just possibly advertised to quite a bit.

So no.

However, my post is based purely on books & documentaries, cos I wasn’t born. Even those that were born on this board wouldn’t have been there as the nearest thing you’ll get is a gig or music press & there wasn’t many gigs to actually get too, especially up here. Pistols wise Northallerton might be nearest? Or Boro.

Everybody is allowed their opinion, but you’ve just made the silliest post since silly posts were invented with the sole purpose of being silly. Silly billy.
Where was this fashion you speak of pre punk ? You mean biker jackets and bullet belts [ Eddie and the hot rods type thing ? ]
I can't remember anything pre Pistols
Watch Revolver etc 90% of the audience had long hair and flares in the jeans . Only a handful looked the part and that was copying the bands
The Clash's gear was designed by Sebastian Conran. Son of Sir Terrance. So they wore 'designer' gear anarl.
Aye a roadie with a flair it rather than fully fledged yet but yeah punk was about that
He'll have lifted ideas from his surroundings though
To me its the little details that were important ,it took someone to do something first then its easy to follow
Songs like Bodies and God save the queen were commercial suicide
Joe clearly had a talent for commenting on his surroundings but to me The Pistols open the door to up the anti

Last edited:
Where was this fashion you speak of pre punk ? You mean biker jackets and bullet belts [ Eddie and the hot rods type thing ? ]
Watch Revolver etc 90% of the audience had long hair and flares in the jeans . Only a handful looked the part and that was copying the bands

Aye a roadie with a flair it rather than fully fledged yet but yeah punk was about that
To me its the little details that were important ,it took someone to do something first then its easy to follow
Joe clearly had a talent for commenting on his surroundings but to me The Pistols open the door to up the anti
Have a look of the picture I’ve posted above of Jordan. It was happening despite the Pistols. They were just the mannequins & had a stage & at one point the media’s attention. Either by accident or design, they became fantastic poster boys for the era.

Loved the Clash. A wonderful alternative to the lethargic musical dross of the time. I would posit that Strummer played to the gallery at times trying too hard to be rebellious. Very much the public schoolboy slumming it for the cameras.The Pistols were a huge catalyst to the brilliant creativity that exploded in the country. What a time to be alive.

Loved the Clash. A wonderful alternative to the lethargic musical dross of the time. I would posit that Strummer played to the gallery at times trying too hard to be rebellious. Very much the public schoolboy slumming it for the cameras.The Pistols were a huge catalyst to the brilliant creativity that exploded in the country. What a time to be alive.
I dont worship strummer the way my mates do, but he does suffer from his dad being “successful” career wise in posts like this. He still did live in squats at Walerton Rd & stuff. Not exactly for the cameras, he was just lucky his childhood wasn’t in poverty.

I think what we’ve got to remember is punk when it hit for the vast majority it was something brand new, so a lot of folk would be influenced by others. I think if the clash hadn’t imploded they could have been the best band in the world, as big as the stones Sandinista was a sampler for what would have come…………….. sh1t what egos drugs and bad business decisions can do.

some of the BAD stuff was bang on for the time and street core is up with one of the best for me, toppers beat on his day man

I always saw the clash as the first real punk/pop cross over commercial band. tbh I always found them a bit boring and poppy, plus I always preferred The Damned who didn't take themselves to seriously and produced some (under the radar) classic albums..

I think what we’ve got to remember is punk when it hit for the vast majority it was something brand new, so a lot of folk would be influenced by others. I think if the clash hadn’t imploded they could have been the best band in the world, as big as the stones Sandinista was a sampler for what would have come…………….. sh1t what egos drugs and bad business decisions can do.

some of the BAD stuff was bang on for the time and street core is up with one of the best for me, toppers beat on his day man
Streetcore is in my top 5 ever

Back