Clash/Pistols question

I love the Clash but for me they were done musically after London Calling..they still had their moments after..Straight to Hell..Armagideon Time..Hitsville UK..but for me what followed wasn’t my cup of tea..I saw them twice on the Combat Rock tour and they were great but it was the punk stuff that got the crowd going..your spot on about NMTB..still my favourite album ever..no one will ever tell me its aged badly.
Aye don't get me wrong, I love the early punk Clash too but liked most of what they did after (even Sandinista) apart from Cut The Crap (with the exception of This Is England). NMTB also one of my all time fave albums, right from that Holidays In The Sun intro

Turns out their early stencilled clothes look were designed by Bernie Rhodes who worked with Malcolm.
They were quite competitive. Rhodes probably had as much influence over The Clash as McLaren had over the Pistols although in both cases the bands increasingly went their own way.

Of course, at the time, none of us really gave a toss about that and, away from London, people came up with all kinds of odd ideas for clothing since there was no other option than doing it yourself.

Aye don't get me wrong, I love the early punk Clash too but liked most of what they did after (even Sandinista) apart from Cut The Crap (with the exception of This Is England). NMTB also one of my all time fave albums, right from that Holidays In The Sun intro
I’ve lost count how many times I’ve tried to listen to Sandinista..it’s just not for me..same with Combat Rock.

They were quite competitive. Rhodes probably had as much influence over The Clash as McLaren had over the Pistols although in both cases the bands increasingly went their own way.

Of course, at the time, none of us really gave a toss about that and, away from London, people came up with all kinds of odd ideas for clothing since there was no other option than doing it yourself.
My mate got the fella painting the railings outside the bradford and bingley to daub PuNk across the back of his school shirt.

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve tried to listen to Sandinista..it’s just not for me..same with Combat Rock.
The trick is to just make your own tracklisting and omit the silly stuff. Difficult to do back in the 80's, granted.
I Love Sandinista, however i wish they had got someone in to produce it. Glyn Johns and Sandy Pearlman made great jobs of Combat Rock and GEER

The trick is to just make your own tracklisting and omit the silly stuff. Difficult to do back in the 80's, granted.
I Love Sandinista, however i wish they had got someone in to produce it. Glyn Johns and Sandy Pearlman made great jobs of Combat Rock and GEER
Took me a while to really get away with it but that's best way to do it. Can understand why people find it hard to like mind

Probably this for me. Agree the Clash wouldn't have existed without the Pistols, but still one of my favourite bands of all time, as much for London Calling and Combat Rock as the first 2 albums. Maybe it's because they lasted longer and moved on to other music genres, dunno. All that said, the Pistols happened at exactly the right time and were very different from anything that had gone before, at least in the public eye. Had been reading this thread a couple of days ago and stuck Never Mind The Bollocks on with the headphones going back from Cardiff game on metro yesterday. Still bloody good as ever, first time I'd played it through in ages
Sonically the Bollocks album was immense ,then that was it Clash one cereal box drums sound awful listening back. I get how people got the Clash and formed a bond as they progressed but it wasn't for me ,the music wasn't, and the costume changes . I'd went elsewhere
So still for me living through it The Pistols lit the fuse .

Sonically the Bollocks album was immense ,then that was it Clash one cereal box drums sound awful listening back. I get how people got the Clash and formed a bond as they progressed but it wasn't for me ,the music wasn't, and the costume changes . I'd went elsewhere
So still for me living through it The Pistols lit the fuse .
To be fair mate, if I had to recommend just one punk album to someone, if you only listen to one make it this type thing, it would be NMTB. More so than Ramones, Damned Damned Damned or The Clash.

Think the Pistols were going while Joe was still in the 101ers & he thought they were great, but I definitely don’t believe the Clash just copied the Pistols.

The alternative fashion thing was going long before the Pistols formed, just Malcolm & Vivienne used them as marketing on stage, but the whole punk subculture was there regardless of the Pistols, they just possibly advertised to quite a bit.

So no.

However, my post is based purely on books & documentaries, cos I wasn’t born. Even those that were born on this board wouldn’t have been there as the nearest thing you’ll get is a gig or music press & there wasn’t many gigs to actually get too, especially up here. Pistols wise Northallerton might be nearest? Or Boro.

Everybody is allowed their opinion, but you’ve just made the silliest post since silly posts were invented with the sole purpose of being silly. Silly billy.
Middlesbrough rock garden was great from 1976 to about '81.
Fair few punk and metal bands played there.

No I don't think there's any such thing as a best bassist , simply your own favourite. To be pedantic none of these bands are "better" than the others, you simply prefer them.
I agree, to continue the pedantry the jam were mod revivalists, the pistols a garage band, ironically, and the clash were a messy anarcho/dub band.
😁

Back