Daniel Sturridge: ‘People look at footballers as being flashy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Omega Man

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/08/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-striker-fashion

Interesting expose of the modern day footballer. Clearly footballers are probably just behind politicians in some people's popularity list but what does this interview tell us, if anything, about the modern day footballer.

Tells me for starters that he has the same f***ing terrible dress sense as my step son.

Thoughts on the modern day footballer? Preening prima donnas or just misunderstood?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/08/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-striker-fashion

Interesting expose of the modern day footballer. Clearly footballers are probably just behind politicians in some people's popularity list but what does this interview tell us, if anything, about the modern day footballer.

Tells me for starters that he has the same f***ing terrible dress sense as my step son.

Thoughts on the modern day footballer? Preening prima donnas or just misunderstood?

I think like in any walk of life there is good and bad. Must be hard to keep your feet on the ground, easy to look at them and say "flash wankers" but I'd hate to see what I'd be like with that much fame and money at that age. You're taking about often (obviously with some exceptions) fairly thick lads who often havent had much growing up, suddenly its 30k a week plus and fanny all over them by the age of 22. There will be a massive temptation to enjoy the newly found wealth by splashing the cash on clothes and cars and with your ego suddenly boosted and fit birds after you itd be hard not to be seen as a "playboy".

I wish more footballers would be grounded and humble, and there are some like that, but who am i kidding, id be the biggest wanker going (yes, even more than i am now before anyone says it!)

I don't get the argument for footballers getting paid too much

The Premier League clubs get 70+ million just for being in the league, the top teams make 100s of millions of pounds a year.

Where should that money be going? Straight in the owners pocked?

If the players are helping them stay in the league, and getting a share of the prize pot, why shouldn't they be paid well

I was quite surprised at the article and as you say how down to earth he sounded. Unfortunately for every Sturridge there seems to be an Ashley Cole.

I actually think Cole sounds quite canny when interviewed and has handled a lot of abuse quite well throughout his career, going on to become a firm favourite of the England fans. Most of the stories ive heard about him being a knob (things like telling someone they should be honoured he threw up in their car etc) seem to be when hes pissed and we all become bigger bellends after a drink

The Premier League clubs get 70+ million just for being in the league, the top teams make 100s of millions of pounds a year.

If the players are helping them stay in the league, and getting a share of the prize pot, why shouldn't they be paid well

I 100% agree with this. Ideally some of the money would be spent on lowering ticket prices like but aye, if theres that much money in the game id rather those that actually had to perform each week got it, rather than owners/ shareholders or, particularly, agents.

I actually think Cole sounds quite canny when interviewed ......
Use John Terry then. My point is that for every canny lad there is a right f***ing prick and unfortunately most football fans seem to think that there are too many of the latter. Clearly though and as you have implied if someone throws £25k per week at you aged 19 and you are surrounded by people telling you you are git hellish then after awhile I guess you start to believe your own hype.

That Joe Hart is a right prick mind. comes across as a complete bellend.

Canny shite looking clobber mind.
Aye, said in my OP that his dress sense is the same as my stepsons ie f***ing rank. It appears that money has little to do with it...its just shite taste.

Use John Terry then. My point is that for every canny lad there is a right f***ing prick and unfortunately most football fans seem to think that there are too many of the latter. Clearly though and as you have implied if someone throws £25k per week at you aged 19 and you are surrounded by people telling you you are git hellish then after awhile I guess you start to believe your own hype.

That Joe Hart is a right prick mind. comes across as a complete bellend.

Aye, said in my OP that his dress sense is the same as my stepsons ie f***ing rank. It appears that money has little to do with it...its just shite taste.

Aye there are too many (and absolutely no argument about Terry being one!) but yeah, i actually think quite a lot of young lads are obnoxious f***ing arseholes, footballers or not, give them 50k a week and expose them to the general public and they just become worse, and more noticeable

Someone taking home in excess of 100k a week is getting paid too much. Be they a footballer, banker, celebrity. Obscenely so.

Most of the top teams are not making 100s of millions of pounds a year. What you take and what you make are two different things. You only 'make' what is left from what you 'take' after deducting costs. In fact most of the premiership lose money, and are servicing large debts because they have lost money in the past.

Few would begrudge anyone who contributes to the club as you say "a share of the prize pot". But what share? The point is they are taking more than the proverbial lions share, so that the pot is more than exhausted.

Where should the money be going? More into the lower levels of the game. And to the fans in terms of better value when watching games.

The more players are paid, the more it benefits the richer sugar-daddy clubs. Hence the state of the premier league.
And supporters like ours getting less and less thrilled by just being there.

They get paid what the industry dictates they are worth and what is financially viable - just like everyone else does really. The amount of work they do has absolutely nothing to do with their salaries

They get paid what the industry dictates they are worth and what is financially viable - just like everyone else does really. The amount of work they do has absolutely nothing to do with their salaries

This, if I was the only plumber in the world, I'd be a billionaire.

We would all take the opportunity to be paid millions of pounds to play football and we would all indulge ourselves with big houses, cars, etc..

Theres alot of jealously toward footballers.

IMHO a lot of the froth around what footballers earn come from people who are not football fans and therefore it's not money they are providing but still feel outraged as they consider these lads to be either; too common, too thick, or both of these, to be worth the amounts they are paid. They are like everybody else, they negotiate the best deal they can for the skills that they are able to provide. I think there is more than a little of the "green eyed monster" about what they get paid.

I appreciate that lots of players get paid more than they are worth, but, that's hardly their fault.

We would all take the opportunity to be paid millions of pounds to play football and we would all indulge ourselves with big houses, cars, etc..

Theres alot of jealously toward footballers.

Agreed. Mind, despite sticking up for footballers on this thread, it does annoy me when you see some utter plodders (hi danny graham) making fortunes out of the game, especially when they get dropped and decide they cant be arsed to put effort in. No problem at all about the wages of the top players but i do think there is a lot of (relatively speaking) mediocre players making a killing. Still, i suppose theyve done well to get into that position so fair play to them for that

Someone taking home in excess of 100k a week is getting paid too much. Be they a footballer, banker, celebrity. Obscenely so.

Most of the top teams are not making 100s of millions of pounds a year. What you take and what you make are two different things. You only 'make' what is left from what you 'take' after deducting costs. In fact most of the premiership lose money, and are servicing large debts because they have lost money in the past.

Few would begrudge anyone who contributes to the club as you say "a share of the prize pot". But what share? The point is they are taking more than the proverbial lions share, so that the pot is more than exhausted.

Where should the money be going? More into the lower levels of the game. And to the fans in terms of better value when watching games.

The more players are paid, the more it benefits the richer sugar-daddy clubs. Hence the state of the premier league.
And supporters like ours getting less and less thrilled by just being there.

That has nothing to do with anything, its a meaningless statement. Could clubs afford to charge less? Of course they could, but has absolutely nothing to do with home much they pay players a week.

Why should Sunderland invest in the "lower levels", the club have earned that money, why give it away

IMHO a lot of the froth around what footballers earn come from people who are not football fans and therefore it's not money they are providing but still feel outraged as they consider these lads to be either; too common, too thick, or both of these, to be worth the amounts they are paid. They are like everybody else, they negotiate the best deal they can for the skills that they are able to provide. I think there is more than a little of the "green eyed monster" about what they get paid.

I appreciate that lots of players get paid more than they are worth, but, that's hardly their fault.

exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back