Does the brain store everything you've ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, once it's full it deletes stuff to make way for new info.
But what gets deleted is entirely random & could be something important like how to walk.

So someone might come up to you & say, did you know..........
and then you'd just collapse cos you've forgotten how to walk.

f***ing hell man, tickled me that. :)

I've always been of the opinion it stores everything...... those who claim to have eidetic/photographic memories don't have better memories just better/different access
If your brain did remember everything 1st time you would learn a new language for instance in a couple of weeks, everyone would get 100% in every exam.

Completely forgot my PIN at a cashpoint in town once. I had to go home because I had no money. Wasn't even pissed, just couldn't for the life of me remember it. I'd had it for ages as well.

I find myself having proper high level intellectual stuff in my dreams like the odd one where I'm sort of talking like a professor about some technical process and it's all totally plausible but well above anything I know at the minute. Weird

Yes it's funny how when your asleep and your brain is not occupying itself with running your life, it seems to be able to devote more of itself to your imagination. Hence in your dreams you can say and make stuff up that would be impossibly complicated if you were conscious.

I remember reading, or at last I think I remember reading, about a bloke undergoing brain surgery. You are conscious during brain surgery so you can talk to the surgeon - the surgeon stimulated a bit of the patent's brain and asked him what he experienced, he said he instantly heard Use Your Illusion II by Guns and Roses in its entirety.

I remember reading, or at last I think I remember reading, about a bloke undergoing brain surgery. You are conscious during brain surgery so you can talk to the surgeon - the surgeon stimulated a bit of the patent's brain and asked him what he experienced, he said he instantly heard Use Your Illusion II by Guns and Roses in its entirety.
Really? That's radged. :lol:

I can remember some really random stuff going back, to when I was really young.

Some totally boring conversations I can recall word for word, but I often forget where I have put my keys, wallet and phone!

Completely forgot my PIN at a cashpoint in town once. I had to go home because I had no money. Wasn't even pissed, just couldn't for the life of me remember it. I'd had it for ages as well.

Thank firk that's not just me then.

Strangely enough, I know what you mean as even just last week I had a song in my head while asleepish and it felt like it was on the radio yet obviously wasn't. Not the first time it's happened ower the years but just the strange way a brain works seeing as we don't use 100% of it anyway!
Something similar happened to me, it was a song I hadn't heard for many years and yet I remembered it in immense clarity.

From my limited remembering of A-Level Psychology the Atkinson-Shiffrin (1971) model of memory has short and long term memory and shows the pathways between the two. It absolutely doesn't remember everything as your brain filters loads out and then not everything that enters the STM will be committed to LTM, repetition is needed unless something is so important you need only see/hear it once.
Oh Christ, she's off. Give us some stats there mate...

99% of the time I'm a boring twat

4 out of every 5 lasses surveyed wouldn't give me the time of day

The odds of me losing my virginity before my 50th birthday are 287-1
Don't count things that don't count. Lasses like money and confidence if you don't have one, have the other *fist bump*

I know it's not quite the same but I became deaf in one ear after an illness. Before the illness I was very much into music but now it's all in mono. Funny thing though is if I hear a song I knew from before I became partially deaf it sounds perfect, must be my brain filling in the gaps. Doesn't work with new stuff.

Women remember everything they've ever heard, aye.

Women remember vaguely everything they have ever heard, but enough so they can twist the words and make stuff up knowing the blokes wont be able to remember what exactly was said, other than the fact she is talking bollocks, but because many men are not devious mind game playing twats they tend to be honest and get frustrated/lose when they cannot remember word for word what was said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back