Dress code in workplace

This has become a hot topic over here lately as the senate has just relaxed its dress code allowing Sen Fetterman to roll up to congress wearing a hoody and shorts looking like a f***ing schlub.

The usual refrain is that it doesn’t make a difference what you wear if you get the work done which is fair enough but I believe there are studies (not sure how reputable) that correlate productivity etc with formal business dress. Would you be OK with your MP of PM showing up to debate other heads of state wearing gym clothes? Do you think they’d be admired and respected if they did? Remember MIchael Foot being ostracised for wearing a duffel coat over his suit to a funeral, and even Blair got some shit for wearing Chelsea boots to a funeral. Let’s not forget the outrage when Obama wore a tan suit.

I was at a formal Catholic Hispanic wedding at the weekend. Dress was formal. Almost all males were in suits and most looking decent. One lad had a navy suit with white trainers and a white Henley. Looked shit. His mate stuck out for the wrong reasons in a western shirt and jeans. One bloke had a suit but a black crew neck T shirt which looks particularly shit. Any wedding over here seems to have at least one obligatory spenk with what I call Shelton-McGraw Syndrome as like those hapless twat country singers they seem unable to wedge their stupid cowboy hats off their heads no matter the time, place or occasion.

You’ve lost me now. How is a polo less comfortable than a T shirt? It’s made of mesh usually the whole point being that it wears cooler than solid cotton.

For me, a t-shirt is more comfortable 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nothing more chav looking that an open shirt collar with a suit. A decent tie is class.

Just had a look in my wardrobe and I still have some very 90s looking ties in there. Think the only one I've worn in the last few years is my funeral tie which, sadly, comes out far too often.

I'd have no problem wearing a tie for work if everyone else did but I'd feel a bit of a berk if I was the only one.

Amazed at the answers on this thread. Ooh ooh ooh they're discriminating against us men. Or alternatively you could just stop being a massive fanny and dress smart.

I've spoken to women here about this and they think it's discrimination 🤷🏼‍♂️

To teach and English class to young learners and teens, what's the problem with a male teacher wearing a plain t shirt yet for a female employee there's no problem?

When I worked in the office it was always shirt and tie, by the end it was polo shirt time, could not give a toss..to be fair this was prior to the trainers with trousers stuff, which I did find a bit odd.

You retired early then?

If you are not customer or external facing then more casual wear is fine.

I only go in once every two to three weeks and tend to wear a shirt then (no tie), but usually with jeans. A couple of weeks ago it was set to be 30 degrees and the aircon had failed. I'd anticipated it and changed into shorts and t-shirt half way through the day. A few other people did the same, and we took our meeting outside a cafe to have cool drinks. The meeting was far more productive than if we had been sat in hotter formal clothes in a sweltering meeting room.

Working from home it is always t-shirt, often with shorts. I usually pull on some training bottoms for walking the dog, work the first hour wearing them and then go to get dressed and washed properly after that. It means I start 5 minutes earlier but have a walking around break for 5 minutes after catching up on mails etc.

Almost all the remote people I talk to, team mates or external companies, they are all in t-shirts too. I've never thought anything of it, and I'm assessing a few companies for a new service now. Judging one by the techy wearing a shirt or not, just never entered my head. I've been judging on substance rather than aesthetics.

Definitely should be the same relaxed rules for men and women, especially in hot weather.

Yeah, seems the norm to be getting offended or discrimination book out these days for the most trivial things. On the T-Shirt matter, probably the blokes are turning in with Iron Maiden or witty bantz T-shirts, while the women are wearing plain T-shirt/blouse type ones. Don't see an issue with the shorts ban either if it's an air conditioned facility/school, if it's roasting inside then would have thought they'd be common approach for all parties, teacher and students.

Plain t-shirts actually. We know what's acceptable and what's not. The boss was discriminating against us with her comments and then going around the class pointing at people's t-shirts and footwear saying not appropriate, no, no, definitely not. Reminded me of the scene in the Inbetweeners when Will starts going round shouting 16, 16, 15
Amazed at the answers on this thread. Ooh ooh ooh they're discriminating against us men. Or alternatively you could just stop being a massive fanny and dress smart.

Is smart like your profile picture? Can't dress like that. Got your shoulders showing 😉
Yeah, seems the norm to be getting offended or discrimination book out these days for the most trivial things. On the T-Shirt matter, probably the blokes are turning in with Iron Maiden or witty bantz T-shirts, while the women are wearing plain T-shirt/blouse type ones. Don't see an issue with the shorts ban either if it's an air conditioned facility/school, if it's roasting inside then would have thought they'd be common approach for all parties, teacher and students.

We know we can't wear shorts. No one would wear shorts. It's the fact that she was just being a twat by saying males can't wear t-shirts but females can. Girls can wear a skirt or a dress but males can't wear shorts.
I agree that male teachers wearing a plain tshirt to teach is too casual. is a short sleeve shirt acceptabl?
We're in a private language academy teaching young kids and teens. They're hardly going to make a fuss about their teacher wearing a plain t-shirt.
A polo shirt is just a t shirt + collar. Smart!

In the heat, I find them and shirts uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Plain t-shirts actually. We know what's acceptable and what's not. The boss was discriminating against us with her comments and then going around the class pointing at people's t-shirts and footwear saying not appropriate, no, no, definitely not. Reminded me of the scene in the Inbetweeners when Will starts going round shouting 16, 16, 15

Is smart like your profile picture? Can't dress like that. Got your shoulders showing 😉

We know we can't wear shorts. No one would wear shorts. It's the fact that she was just being a twat by saying males can't wear t-shirts but females can. Girls can wear a skirt or a dress but males can't wear shorts.

We're in a private language academy teaching young kids and teens. They're hardly going to make a fuss about their teacher wearing a plain t-shirt.

Ah, as more details come out, she sound a right tw*t

It wouldn’t be young kids and teens who complain in Britain if male teachers wore a plain t-shirt either.

Are you part of a large company or is she the be all and end all?

We had a manager who was effectively just a middle manager. Complete waste of space and made random rules all the time, mostly petty ones. I remember when I was working my notice he demanded I sign something to say I would not take copies of any paperwork away with me, including performance reviews, my personal record of attendance times etc. I went straight to HR and asked for a copy of everything, which they were happy to provide. I did leave it on my desk for 3 days with a post-it “To take home”.

The time tracking thing was because he used to waddle in a bit after half ten, go for a long lunch and then get the arse at us who were in at 8 for going home at 4, calling us skivers. We each kept detailed logs and mailed him a report every time he complained.

We normally wear standard business dress so smart shirt, trousers, dress shoes, etc except during the summer as have no air con and it’s only a small office.

We’ve been dressing down since end of May and think our gaffers have forgot as we are still turning up in shorts, t-shirt and trainers and they’ve said bugger all! 😂

Are you part of a large company or is she the be all and end all?

We had a manager who was effectively just a middle manager. Complete waste of space and made random rules all the time, mostly petty ones. I remember when I was working my notice he demanded I sign something to say I would not take copies of any paperwork away with me, including performance reviews, my personal record of attendance times etc. I went straight to HR and asked for a copy of everything, which they were happy to provide. I did leave it on my desk for 3 days with a post-it “To take home”.

The time tracking thing was because he used to waddle in a bit after half ten, go for a long lunch and then get the arse at us who were in at 8 for going home at 4, calling us skivers. We each kept detailed logs and mailed him a report every time he complained.

One company. The woman in general director role has replaced the old one who was also the founder of the company. He semi retired because of bad health though he's definitely lurking in the background.

The woman he's brought in has a marketing background so she bringing all this in. I think she's been giving pretty much a free role on what she sees fit to do.

She's pissed a lot of people off and it's only the start of her 2nd year.

We've had a salary decrease which is illegal I believe so a fair number of us have joined a union.

Back