Dress code in workplace

Nothing more chav looking that an open shirt collar with a suit. A decent tie is class.
Humans are such strange creatures. Virtually the only mammal which is almost completely hairless and as a consequence has fashioned woven fibres to cover its nakedness. In certain narrow circumstances the male of the species must also wear a narrow strip of brightly coloured cloth knotted around it's neck.

Dress code in the workplace was already starting to get more relaxed before COVID. Since COVID, I've seen some right horror shows coming into the office in tracksuit bottoms and t-shirts.

Personally the most relaxed I'd ever "dress-down" for work would be polo and jeans, maybe a very plain but smart tee. But that's only if I'm not meeting any clients.

The people where I work dress well enough for what we do. We're not idiots. What pissed us off is the comment from the boss which was, ladies can wear t-shirts but men can't as you don't know how to dress and deem what's acceptable and what's not.

She then went on a Will from The Inbetweeners rant around the meeting room looking at the men's clothing and footwear and saying, no, no definitely not, not smart/casual.

The people where I work dress well enough for what we do. We're not idiots. What pissed us off is the comment from the boss which was, ladies can wear t-shirts but men can't as you don't know how to dress and deem what's acceptable and what's not.

She then went on a Will from The Inbetweeners rant around the meeting room looking at the men's clothing and footwear and saying, no, no definitely not, not smart/casual.
That sucks if she has ultimate power.

Though if the women in the office agreed and the entire workforce went in wearing plain and identical t-shirts (perhaps buy a job lot), what would she do? If she took disciplinary action against the men and not the women, then that is case closed discrimination and you have a solid legal case.

Humans are such strange creatures. Virtually the only mammal which is almost completely hairless and as a consequence has fashioned woven fibres to cover its nakedness. In certain narrow circumstances the male of the species must also wear a narrow strip of brightly coloured cloth knotted around it's neck.
I can’t stand wearing a tie like, or just having something tight around my neck. Shirt with top button undone unless it is an interview.

The last place I worked where people wore ties, I did for a couple of months and then stopped. I left a tie in my desk draw. After a week, one of my colleague asked about it. I said I hated them and was never asked to wear a tie, but if a manager asked me to I’d be happy to immediately put one on. But nobody had asked, so in the draw it stayed.

Within 2 days, the entire workforce on my side of the building stopped wearing ties.

Have you considered telling her to fuck off.

I’d hate to work anywhere that took what I wore more seriously than the work I do.

Or anywhere that didn’t trust me to wear appropriate clothing.

Have you considered telling her to fuck off.

I’d hate to work anywhere that took what I wore more seriously than the work I do.

Or anywhere that didn’t trust me to wear appropriate clothing.

I'm in that process and on that road but doing it the legal way. 😂 I want paying off if she wants me out

Say you don't identify as either

I do wonder what would happen in that case. It's an extremely hot topic over here. Equality minister Irene Montero has made it really easy and fast to change gender as well as a load of other pathetic laws which have backfired. She says she's fighting for equality but she's really not.
She sounds like an absolute knacker.
Not wrong there

Last edited:
Following a serious site accident where someone has suffered life changing injuries as a result of not wearing the correct PPE, we've been told today that we can no longer wear polo shirts in the office.

Shirt and tie as a minimum from now on, in order to help address slipping site safety standards apparently.

Following a serious site accident where someone has suffered life changing injuries as a result of not wearing the correct PPE, we've been told today that we can no longer wear polo shirts in the office.

Shirt and tie as a minimum from now on, in order to help address slipping site safety standards apparently.
Safety? Are they issuing kevlar shirts or something?

I hope it’s a clip on tie.

Had a meeting this morning regarding this and the boss (female) said no T-shirts allowed for male employees but are allowed for females as men don't know how to dress and decide what's acceptable/appropriate and what's not 😳

Thoughts?
Surely the same rules apply to everybody?

Safety? Are they issuing kevlar shirts or something?
You'd think so. They should make us wear full PPE around the office if they want to make a point. The individual who got injured more than likely has a P45 to look forward to upon recovery. Along with the severe burns I think that's deterrent enough personally.

Mind you, the same company also banned crisps in the office because some lass got a corn kernel in the eye off trying to empty the scraps of a bag of popcorn into her gaping maw.

Back