Drinks Markup - Absolute rip off

Was thinking this recently, my local is £6.60 pint of moretti 😂

Local supermarket will sell you a 660 ml bottle for £2 on offer

Incredible multiple, people still more than happy to pay it as it does good trade

Someone must be making a fortune….

Christ alive. Where the hell are you?!
Was there many in the place?

We were there for 12 as we'd been out that morning, but it's usually absolutely rammed. Right next to the canal and has accommodation with it.
Chorley ain’t worth £6.22

Or £12.44 for that matter!

Last edited:

Copenhagen is one of a couple of options I’ve got for our next city break. What’s it like in terms of price of a pint, food etc mate?
Relatively speaking it’s not as expensive as it used to seem to be. It looks like everywhere else (similar) has caught up.

We did a bit of a European capital tour this summer taking in Brussels, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and Copenhagen.

Copenhagen was probably the most reasonable. Still not cheap, about £7–£9 a pint (I think - didn’t pay full attention), but it felt a touch cheaper than the others. It’s a great place as well in my opinion. Very chilled for a capital city.

Loads of great food options as well, whatever you’re looking for.

£6.22 is a disgrace.
I'm not happy about £4.50 for Moretti in my local.
It's no wonder pubs are shutting as who will keep paying those sort of prices??

Relatively speaking it’s not as expensive as it used to seem to be. It looks like everywhere else (similar) has caught up.

We did a bit of a European capital tour this summer taking in Brussels, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and Copenhagen.

Copenhagen was probably the most reasonable. Still not cheap, about £7–£9 a pint (I think - didn’t pay full attention), but it felt a touch cheaper than the others. It’s a great place as well in my opinion. Very chilled for a capital city.

Loads of great food options as well, whatever you’re looking for.

I haven't been to Copenhagen for a long time but I remember it being on the expensive side (but not as bad as Oslo or Stockholm)

My recent experience is that Berlin is one of the cheapest big cities in western Europe.

Drinking alcohol at lunchtime is going to put you on a path with drink, you will later regret. I realise that getting pissed-up is normal for some folk on a Saturday before 3pm. Which is also, abhorrent to me.

I love booze but it never enter my daily life.
£6.22 is a disgrace.
I'm not happy about £4.50 for Moretti in my local.
It's no wonder pubs are shutting as who will keep paying those sort of prices??
The booze isn't the problem. It's the tax. Our government need lots of tax payers money for their salaries mate.

Last edited:
Drinking alcohol at lunchtime is going to put you on a path with drink, you will later regret. I realise that getting pissed-up is normal for some folk on a Saturday before 3pm. Which is also, abhorrent to me.

Love a bit of social daydrinking where the aim is to just have a few convivial beers rather than trying to get wasted at night. Pubs are quieter, weather usually better, you get home and to bed at a decent time and there's no hangover the next day. Can't beat an afternoon pub crawl of some local beer gardens in the summer.

Last edited:

The booze isn't the problem. It's the tax. Our government need lots of tax payers money for their salaries mate.

Love a dinnertime pint. Makes the afternoons at graft fly by
Love a bit of social daydrinking where the aim is to just have a few convivial beers rather than trying to get wasted at night. Pubs are quieter, weather usually better, you get home and to bed at a decent time and there's no hangover the next day. Can't beat an afternoon pub crawl of some local beer gardens in the summer.

This.

If I’m out for a meal or a night out with the wife/friends somewhere decent I expect £6 a pint but if I’m out in the week for a game of darts with the lads it’s the cheapest lager for me.
Social Club we go to is £2.85 for a Carlsberg (it’s way nicer than Carling and Fosters)

You can get a pint for £2.50 in Weatherspoons and similar style pubs what explains the the difference.

Spoons will get their beer cheaper than anyone else but it will be pence not pounds difference per pint.

At the moment I think there are some well ran pubs in good locations who will be making an absolute fortune.

The low priced drinkers pubs seem to do OK based on high volume, they are busy every day. There are places in the town that are potentially dead 4 or 5 days a week now and need to claw back money on the weekend to survive = £5 pints

And people wonder why pubs and restaurants are closing.
We went out for an early evening meal in a restaurant and it was £80.

Decent chuck of that was two pre dinner drinks and a bottle of house white at £28 quid a bottle. I bet they bought it for 6 or 7 quid.

They closed a month later.
What was the name of the restaurant?

Back