Driving a car declared SORN for MOT

Is it legal to drive a car declared SORN and with an expired MOT to the test centre for a test? MOT expired and can’t renew the tax without the MOT so declared it SORN but need to take it down the road (half a mile) for the test on Tuesday. Fully insured.

Is it legal to drive a car declared SORN and with an expired MOT to the test centre for a test? MOT expired and can’t renew the tax without the MOT so declared it SORN but need to take it down the road (half a mile) for the test on Tuesday. Fully insured.
I didn't even check, just drove it to the MOT place 2km away, kind of thought it common sense that you need MOT before you taxed it, I think you cannot do online Road Tax unless it has an MOT? Anyway, the link shows that it's OK to do so.

I didn't even check, just drove it to the MOT place 2km away, kind of thought it common sense that you need MOT before you taxed it, I think you cannot do online Road Tax unless it has an MOT? Anyway, the link shows that it's OK to do so.
Last I knew if test was booked you could drive to ctr without mot etc

Last I knew if test was booked you could drive to ctr without mot etc
Tell you what I difnt know.

Had mine in for mot n had a damaged shock. None in stock so i said id fetch it back next week. Garaged refused, wouldnt give car back n relented with a hire car.

Id always thought you had till your test runs out, but if you fail thats immediately voided.

Had mine in for mot n had a damaged shock. None in stock so i said id fetch it back next week. Garaged refused, wouldnt give car back n relented with a hire car.

Id always thought you had till your test runs out, but if you fail thats immediately voided.
I suppose it depends on the severity of the fail? If it’s dangerous not sure any garage would want u driving away

Aye if it fails that's it for the MOT, but I thought then knowingly choosing to driving it was on you? Not sure the garage can insist they keep it?

Aye if it fails that's it for the MOT, but I thought then knowingly choosing to driving it was on you? Not sure the garage can insist they keep it?
Yeh and playing “warranties void if any further issues” card. Got sorted like, had a good rant before googling it n seeing i was wrong! 😂

As it’s now all electronically recorded and they have added severity, they can’t let it go if it’s dangerous.

In the past, that was never recorded.

Aye ,similar if cops decide your car is unfit for the road, mot or not

If you are driving the car directly to the test centre for a pre booked appointment then that’s ok.

as explained as long as it's pre-booked you'll be ok, take the number of the test centre so the cops can call should you get pulled.

They can't do that.

It doesn't void the "old" mot.

Last edited:
As long as its booked in with the correct registration it's legit.
They can't do that.

It doesn't void the "old" mot.
They say you can't drive it away if it fails with a dangerous fault. Some dangerous faults are negligible to us in the know, but they scare joe public with the wording.

But at the end of the day, as you say, no they can't keep your car if you want to drive it away.

Last edited:

Back