Driving a car declared SORN for MOT

Chances of passing a copper giving a shite now?
Well considering all their cars are ANPR. I would suggest they would stop you immediately.

Remember criminals use uninsured and non MOT cars etc.

So you be surprised what crops up. One a week ago linked to a 4 million drugs growing den for no MOT.

So yes.

They can't do that.

It doesn't void the "old" mot.
It does void the mot.

I could likely have done what i wanted but there were various disclaimers etc etc to sign…

Driving a vehicle that’s failed​

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ‘dangerous’ problem.

It does void the mot.

I could likely have done what i wanted but there were various disclaimers etc etc to sign…

Driving a vehicle that’s failed​

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ‘dangerous’ problem.
They can't stop you driving away man they're mot testers not police, do some research the old MOT is NOT invalidated by a failed new one, I don't know how many times it has to be posted, it never has.

Last edited:
They can't stop you driving away man they're mot testers not police, do some research the old MOT is NOT invalidated by a failed new one, I don't know how many times it has to be posted, it never has.
They have a duty to not allow you to drive it away if it fails on a ‘Dangerous’ item.

Your old MOT isn’t invalidated but you shouldn’t drive and would get done for driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Again, theyd have gave me it but wiped hands of warranty or responsibility had i demanded it.

They have a duty to not allow you to drive it away if it fails on a ‘Dangerous’ item.

Your old MOT isn’t invalidated but you shouldn’t drive and would get done for driving an unroadworthy vehicle.
They can advise against driving it they cant stop anyone from doing it which is what I posted
Again, theyd have gave me it but wiped hands of warranty or responsibility had i demanded it.
Warranty for what ? But my post was about a new Mot voiding an old one.

Last edited:
They can advise against driving it they cant stop anyone from doing it which is what I posted

Warranty for what ? But my post was about a new Mot voiding an old one.
Of course they can’t prevent you from driving it. But anyone worth their salt would say, ok I take the advice of a professional and will not drive it until it’s repaired.

Of course they can’t prevent you from driving it. But anyone worth their salt would say, ok I take the advice of a professional and will not drive it until it’s repaired.
That's not what I've experienced. Most people I've dealt with think all garages are trying to rip them off and ask the Internet what they think.

It would still come back with a valid mot if it passed ANPR so the chances of being stopped are almost zero. If you had an accident im not sure what would happen with insurance mind. A bit of a grey area.
The problem is a lot of people aren't worth their salt.
I book 365 tests a year
Would only be covered for a short time, and on route to said garage.

Last edited:
It would still come back with a valid mot if it passed ANPR so the chances of being stopped are almost zero. If you had an accident im not sure what would happen with insurance mind. A bit of a grey area.

The problem is a lot of people aren't worth their salt.

Would only be covered for a short time, and on route to said garage.
Insurance would invalidate if they did a check and it had a dangerous defect recorded.

Back