English kids and football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about this earlier on. I come to the conclusion that my generation (I'm 23 so I'm talking about 2000-2005/6) was the last generation to spend more time outdoors than indoors. My brother is 1 year younger and he'd prefer FIFA tournaments with mates but would join in if I was out and about playing football. I reckon this is the main reason why I've never been a fan of FIFA/Pro Evo because I never saw the attraction when you could play for real outdoors.

Don't get back to England very often and last few times has just been to central london which isnt a good example. Wondering if young kids still play football in the streets and fields as much as when I was a kid in the 60s.

It was all we basically did. At school as well - break times were all about having a game.

I'd guess there is much less these days with other attractions (kids around here have trouble even crossing the street cos they have their faces stuck in their smartphones). Started wondering about it cos I dont see much young talent coming through in the premier league that is home grown.

Kids can't play in the streets anymore, one theres to many cars and two sad people ring the police and say its youth disorder :oops:

I'll stick up for the youth. I don't think it's changed that much, they still like their kick abouts from what I can tell.

Kids can't play in the streets anymore, one theres to many cars and two sad people ring the police and say its youth disorder :oops:

Aye, this is very true.

That just brought back memories for me! Me against my dad and little brother in the hall. Spent hours playing it when it was too shitty out.
Ahh happy days!

And memories for me also, any hole/ gap would do as a goal in our house :) Fantastic days - my muthas still got a decorative plate on display that has been mildy chipped & repaired by three generations of us :)

Last edited:
This is why the English are now schit at football, the kids are not playing enough, do you think maradona had a play station? No he learnt to do keeps up with a rolled up bit of card board because he couldn't afford a football, him and his mates would play for hours on end because there was nothing else to do

1,000's of kids play youth football every weekend.
Exactly. Anyone with a kid playing in the Russell Foster league will know how many are involved in that alone. My kid plays U10s and there are about 8 or so divisions in his age group each with 10 or so teams in it, each team with 10-12 kids in the squad. So that's roughly 800 Year 5 boys playing in the league every week, just in the part of the NE covered by the RFL. So adding up the different age groups there are several thousand boys (and some girls) in the Wearside area playing competitive football weekly, as well as training once or twice a week too. That's before you even consider the academies, foundation teams, school teams, cubs teams and anything else that might be going on.

Don't get back to England very often and last few times has just been to central london which isnt a good example. Wondering if young kids still play football in the streets and fields as much as when I was a kid in the 60s.

It was all we basically did. At school as well - break times were all about having a game.

I'd guess there is much less these days with other attractions (kids around here have trouble even crossing the street cos they have their faces stuck in their smartphones). Started wondering about it cos I dont see much young talent coming through in the premier league that is home grown.
Too many cars parked on the streets,any open spaces since being built on usually housing and this generation and the ones before would rather sit in front of computers.

There's a lot more grass roots football around than there was years ago and a lot more local charter clubs running organised training and events

No space in the streets.
Break times at school - football is often banned in the playground as the football might hurt somebody. :rolleyes:
Still popular at Saturday Clubs etc though.

Times have changed a hell of a lot , kids are soft now - have everything in the comfort of a nice warm bedroom , widescreen tvs , sky , top range consoles with latest games , I pads .....the list goes on
Me & @Barboza dh9 were never in till dark , especially school hols - football , nesting ( there,s a long lost kids hobby ) Nee virtual reality games then - just good old fashioned fresh air & real life experiances

Times have changed a hell of a lot , kids are soft now - have everything in the comfort of a nice warm bedroom , widescreen tvs , sky , top range consoles with latest games , I pads .....the list goes on
Me & @Barboza dh9 were never in till dark , especially school hols - football , nesting ( there,s a long lost kids hobby ) Nee virtual reality games then - just good old fashioned fresh air & real life experiances

Not that much different here in Canada. Society worrying constantly about kids and trying to keep them safe. Daft thing is they get no exercise, other than the real good athletes on teams, have no exposure, get penicillin for virtually a cold and by the time they are 40 will be suffering from type 2 diabetes with immune systems shot to shit

Your right Daffy we were never in the house ,but also we never had the opportunity like the youngins these days .my lads been playing junior football since he was 8 ,he's now at under 17s plays every Sunday ,and we returned from a football tour of Holland, playing varies local teams over there .hes out twice a week up Consett with all his mates who hire the new Consett all weather pitch something that we couldn' do ,we just made goals with wor jumpers

It's all my 12 year old lad does.

Plays for a Sunday team, Saturday team and the school team. (missed out on the district because of politics, BASTARDS)
Trains two nights a week, plays 2 days a week (3 days when it's light nights).

When not doing that he's down at our local field playing football with his mates (normally at least 10 of them) Takes a packed lunch with him so he doesn't have to come home for something to eat. He's far more obsessed with football than I ever was.

Exactly. Anyone with a kid playing in the Russell Foster league will know how many are involved in that alone. My kid plays U10s and there are about 8 or so divisions in his age group each with 10 or so teams in it, each team with 10-12 kids in the squad. So that's roughly 800 Year 5 boys playing in the league every week, just in the part of the NE covered by the RFL. So adding up the different age groups there are several thousand boys (and some girls) in the Wearside area playing competitive football weekly, as well as training once or twice a week too. That's before you even consider the academies, foundation teams, school teams, cubs teams and anything else that might be going on.

This is right to a point.

At the young ages when parents take them there are lots of kids playing. But just have a look at how the number of leagues decrease as the kids get older!!!!!
It's a big problem IMO

The council have put up two 3/4 size goals with nets on the field next to where I live and they are constantly used by kids of all ages. There are also two full sized pitches with goals up which were hardly ever used. It amazing what happens when kids have nets to kick into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back