Food banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
These 11,000 long-term unemployed certainly get around, everyone seems to know loads of them.
I could find about that many just in Shields. 11,000 is your number for people who've been unemployed for 5 years straight. That conveniently ignores all those who've been willfully unemployed for 4 years, 3 years, 2 years, 1 year straight and all the ones who've just signed back on after being forced into taking a job for a few weeks to get the JSA off their back for the next stretch. So it's really not that surprising that everyone knows some of them.

It would be interesting to see if there is any truth in that. I suspect you may have a point.
They are employed, so no Job seekers allowance. They can apply for Working Tax Credit if they do more than 16 hours a week. You fill the assessment in once a year. Their hours fluctuate by the day! Their contract states zero hours. Some weeks they will do more than 16 hours, some days they get sent home when it quietens down so no two weeks are the same - no uniformed hours. This all makes it very hard to claim anything at all. Its a minefield. The politicians f***ing love it!

Do you think the massive upswing in numbers of people using food banks has any correlation at all to the benefit changes and the imposing of benefit sanctions ?
How many unemployed are there and how many of them are long term ? Lazy fuckers have always existed, in times of low unemployment they were very evident, now they seem to have multi uses for consecutive governments and i'd suggest are used as a very good distraction from the reality of their economic and social policy failures

Politics and the subsequent policies from governments directly affects people. Understanding the politics helps to understand what is happening to people.
Unlike Andrew i will not use the long term unemployed as a scapegoat for the appalling mess governments have made out of society with their policies.
Please tell me you are not absolving the banks and financial institutions for their role in the current shit storm of an economy.
Good God no.

The tax revenue our economy loses due to the loopholes exploited by those at the top is disgusting. But we aren't discussing that.

Two things which already ensure families don't starve. Foodbanks (except for when someone is on a short term benefit sanction) are for stupid people who spend their money on something else then find they have no food to eat.

Fucks sake, fricking head in the sand clueless.:rolleyes:
It's always the Tories who look down their noses at anybody who hits hard times. "They must be stupid if they can't make ends meet." "I'm doing alright anybody who isn't is an idiot."
As much as you'd like to think we live in a perfect world, we don't.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...ho-are-the-new-clientele-in-need-of-help.html

By your own admission you see loads of long term unemployed who do nothing all day but drink. I'd suggest that working in a pub in an unemployment blackspot may not give you a balanced or fair view of the other two and a half million unemployed people. Is it a dodgy pub ?
I once drank in a pub in Holloway in which about 90% of the clientele were criminals and gangsters. That didn't mean that everyone in London was a criminal or gangster.

I could find about that many just in Shields. 11,000 is your number for people who've been unemployed for 5 years straight. That conveniently ignores all those who've been willfully unemployed for 4 years, 3 years, 2 years, 1 year straight and all the ones who've just signed back on after being forced into taking a job for a few weeks to get the JSA off their back for the next stretch. So it's really not that surprising that everyone knows some of them.

It's not my number. It's from the government's Office for National Statistics, so it's the official number. You'd know that if you'd bothered to read the link.

If you think the Tories are fudging the figures - and it wouldn't surprise me if they are - then take it up with them.

Sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda, but that's the real world for you.

By your own admission you see loads of long term unemployed who do nothing all day but drink. I'd suggest that working in a pub in an unemployment blackspot may not give you a balanced or fair view of the other two and a half million unemployed people. Is it a dodgy pub ?
I once drank in a pub in Holloway in which about 90% of the clientele were criminals and gangsters. That didn't mean that everyone in London was a criminal or gangster.
You're saying it was a coincidence?

according to you that figure for the square mile is on the low side.

It's not my number. It's from the government's Office for National Statistics, so it's the official number. You'd know that if you'd bothered to read the link.

If you think the Tories are fudging the figures - and it wouldn't surprise me if they are - then take it up with them.

Sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda, but that's the real world for you.
It is the official number for the people who've been out of work for 5 years. It is not the official number for all of the 'long term unemployed' as you tried to pass it off as.

It's always the Tories who look down their noses at anybody who hits hard times. "They must be stupid if they can't make ends meet." "I'm doing alright anybody who isn't is an idiot."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...ho-are-the-new-clientele-in-need-of-help.html

'She has even helped one man and his family after he lost his well-paid job in the City, and struggled to keep his large Hammersmith home and kids in private school (paid for by a family member).'

My heart bleeds for him.

If that doesn't give him a balanced or fair view then how the fuck do you have a balanced or fair one living in a tepee, stoned off your tits in Holland?

It is the official number for the people who've been out of work for 5 years. It is not the official number for all of the 'long term unemployed' as you tried to pass it off as.

I'm not passing anything off. It's a fact that 11,000 people have been unemployed for five years or more, unlike your hilarious claim that you could find that number in Shields alone.

I'm not passing anything off. It's a fact that 11,000 people have been unemployed for five years or more, unlike your hilarious claim that you could find that number in Shields alone.
It's also a fact that you then went on to say:
These 11,000 long-term unemployed certainly get around, everyone seems to know loads of them.
...even though no-one else but yourself had mentioned 5 years unemployment as a definition for 'long-term unemployed'.

If you think the SMB is fudging your figures - take it up with the mods.

Sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda, but that's the real world for you

Don't think it works that way.

Zero hour contracts are shocking like and shouldn't be allowed.
I agree. To me a zero hour contract basically means no contract. It should be outlawed.

How come despite all the evidence some people will not accept the truth ?
He lives in Holland mate. Maybe there weren't as many layabouts when he left.

In not a Tory.

I'm not a Tory that should say.

Last edited:
It's also a fact that you then went on to say:

...even though no-one else but yourself had mentioned 5 years unemployment as a definition for 'long-term unemployed'.

If you think the SMB is fudging your figures - take it up with the mods.

Sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda, but that's the real world for you

I posted the figures in response to somebody saying there is a large section of society that doesn't want to work.

The figures prove it's a tiny section of society that has achieved this goal.

If you want to discuss your ludicrous claim that there are 11,000 of these in Shields alone, I'd be happy to look at your official figures. Otherwise it's pointless continuing this if you're just going to make stuff up, with only me providing facts of any sort.

I posted the figures in response to somebody saying there is a large section of society that doesn't want to work.

The figures prove it's a tiny section of society that has achieved this goal.

If you want to discuss your ludicrous claim that there are 11,000 of these in Shields alone, I'd be happy to look at your official figures. Otherwise it's pointless continuing this if you're just going to make stuff up, and only me providing facts of any sort.
There are far more long term unemployed than 11,000.

'She has even helped one man and his family after he lost his well-paid job in the City, and struggled to keep his large Hammersmith home and kids in private school (paid for by a family member).'

My heart bleeds for him.
I saw a tv show about food banks and in among the single mothers, unemployed and people at the end of their tether were a couple in a quite nice house who's circumstances had taken a dramatic change.
After paying their bills they had nothing left to buy food or other essentials. Must have took some nerve to go cap in hand to a food bank considering their previous lifestyle. When you've never been in that situation though it's easy to look down on them I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back