Glastonbury 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mate, you still have Adele and
Coldplay ;)
:lol:
I'll be catching up in the comfort of my front room, but will give those 2 a miss. Live nearby, and have to put up with the regular traffic mayhem, but retired from attending after it became too corporate. We used to get a respite every few years, but it'll now move to Longleat when Worthy Farm needs a break. I'm caught firmly between the 2, so there'll be no respite here.

People not at Glastonbury begin enjoying plight of those who are

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...enjoying-plight-of-those-who-are-201106233986

It's funny 'cause it's true :lol:
Logon or register to see this image

Truly surreal :lol:

I'll be catching up in the comfort of my front room, but will give those 2 a miss. Live nearby, and have to put up with the regular traffic mayhem, but retired from attending after it became too corporate. We used to get a respite every few years, but it'll now move to Longleat when Worthy Farm needs a break. I'm caught firmly between the 2, so there'll be no respite here.

How is it corporate? You barely see a brand the entire time you're there.

EE for the phones - fair enough, but you can't avoid having them there if you're asking them to install their mobile transmitter
Some of the bars are big-business, but only a few

Can't even think of another corporation that will be there?????

I think you mean "Organised"?

How is it corporate? You barely see a brand the entire time you're there.

EE for the phones - fair enough, but you can't avoid having them there if you're asking them to install their mobile transmitter
Some of the bars are big-business, but only a few

Can't even think of another corporation that will be there?????

I think you mean "Organised"?

Loads of the camping is provided by companies charging loads to use. I think it's over organised, but unfortunately most modern festivalstyle are. I'm old enough to remember the first one, and went to it for years. Younguns don't know any different, and so it's fine for them, but us oldies feel a lot of the magic has gone. Strangely, I don't feel this way about football, or indeed music in general. I still love to see young bands, but much prefer gigs, or very small festivals nowadays

Loads of the camping is provided by companies charging loads to use. I think it's over organised, but unfortunately most modern festivalstyle are. I'm old enough to remember the first one, and went to it for years. Younguns don't know any different, and so it's fine for them, but us oldies feel a lot of the magic has gone. Strangely, I don't feel this way about football, or indeed music in general. I still love to see young bands, but much prefer gigs, or very small festivals nowadays

i think football is the worst culprit. it has changed loads even over the last 20 years. absolutely soul destroying watching top flight footy in general. non-league is worlds away (for the better imo)

i think festivals will never lose the camaraderie, the ease of making new friends, the anything goes attitude etc..

i think football is the worst culprit. it has changed loads even over the last 20 years. absolutely soul destroying watching top flight footy in general. non-league is worlds away (for the better imo)

i think festivals will never lose the camaraderie, the ease of making new friends, the anything goes attitude etc..
I love lower league football, but still haven't been turned off watching the Premiership.
I've met a lot of good people over the years at festivals. Maybe my attitudes are caused by my age. Its easy to feel out of place as you get older, and all of the trudging about hits an aged body more. Sad, as I really love seeing the bands, but fewer of my mates go now, and the difference for our generation is becoming more noticeable.

Aye, its different now. But the glamping you speak of is a tiny tiny fraction of the overall "accommodation".

Its definitely more "middle class" though.

I think that's it. I miss the old traveller convoys :lol:
I made friends with a bunch of what "normal" people would call "hippies". A hangover from a long-defunct festivals forum, now on Facebook.

They're the most "non mainstream" people I know, yet half of them now have campervans! You have to laugh.

I made friends with a bunch of what "normal" people would call "hippies". A hangover from a long-defunct festivals forum, now on Facebook.

They're the most "non mainstream" people I know, yet half of them now have campervans! You have to laugh.
I know loads of them. Some are totally shot of course, but many are quite mainstream now, and making good money. I was involved in the early free party scene, and met most of them that way.
Don't think I could hack 3 days without sleep now though :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Truly surreal :lol:

Pretty sure there's a kitchen sink in there anarl! I havent been for many years, but when I did we couldnt have taken all that gear, it never wouldve fit under the fence ;)

I know it's tempting to feel a sense of schadenfreude but I know what it like when you've looked for to going for months and you get there and it's a mudbath. It's not that nice, and anyway I've got Kendal Calling to come which has had its own problems with rain/mud in the last few years.

I know it's tempting to feel a sense of schadenfreude but I know what it like when you've looked for to going for months and you get there and it's a mudbath. It's not that nice, and anyway I've got Kendal Calling to come which has had its own problems with rain/mud in the last few years.

its going to be lush this year. plus its not a 12 hour wait, or 5 mile hike to campsite, or 8 hour drive away if it is bad weather.

Hate arena fests now. Can't see me doing one again tbh

Just read this from the facebook page of the group of people I know (I don't know every member, but this is a friend of a friend)

"It's dark, all camper vans being sent to bath and west. Festival buses are hitting a tree and showering the upper deck passengers with glass as the front windows break. We're not on site yet. Been in queue since 4.30pm. Can now see festival. People on buses are crying. Coach drivers are out of driving time and having to kick whole coach loads of people out to walk along the road from the middle of nowhere. Never coming again."

Sounds awful. Poor bastards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back