Going to my first game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're of like minds on all of that, stay in Seaburn, day trip to Durham.

I will likely have the wife and bairn with me on all match day festivities, I imagine that changes the answer to where I can go on match day.
some canny indian restaurants next door to the marriot

Fuck me it's the sherberts mate! When I read some of my posts back the following day it's bloody embarrasing...
I was on holiday with this one so twice as much beer n twice as much shite. Mind you I tried your first option and it turned out better as well...

:lol: The worst is when you wake up, head hurting and, with much trepidation, enter the smb into your address bar and see a load of alerts and you just think "oh fuck, what did i say". At least then you get the initial relief that you didnt get yourself banned like which is always a risk after a drink

Seriously, stay in Durham and visit Sunderland. You will have a MUCH better time. I love Sunderland but with a wife and kid in tow - and being a stranger to these parts - it really is no contest.

Hotels - Durham Marriott or Durham Radisson Blu
he doesn't want to... durham is boring as fuck anyway

:lol: The worst is when you wake up, head hurting and, with much trepidation, enter the smb into your address bar and see a load of alerts and you just think "oh fuck, what did i say". At least then you get the initial relief that you didnt get yourself banned like which is always a risk after a drink

I but I did, last week. I got a 24 hour ban but I was so pissed I don't know what for! Ha!

FWIW the strife had never been to the UK before I dragged her over for a couple of weeks one late summer. Her favourite visits were:

1) The Sol. She never actually said that though. I'm interpolating.

2) Durham. Up to the top of the Cathedral for magnificent views, pint by the river, then off to the cricket ground for lunch. Walk along the river, then Lumley Castle for tea. Stay there for a night for the atmosphere. Very little driving done on that day. Good weather really helps, we got a lovely sunny Sept day.

3) Drive around the Lake District and back through York. IIRC Barnard Castle too. Sample lots of 'country' pubs. Back to Sunderland through Washington Village, to see the cradle of civilisation that is The Washy Ar... er, I mean Old Hall.

4) walking along the Roker seafront in the drizzle, with fish and chips out of the paper.

5) Match day. Walk to the Sol up the river from the seafront / marina. Stop for look around the glass centre and have lunch there. Plenty of options for pre match pint.

6) Pissing up against the Angel. Though that was just me. Special request.

7) Bridge End Kebab shop.

Love number 6, I might not be able to make that one work though. Sounds canny all that and quite similar to how my itinerary is shaping up, probably add Beamish and currently Alnwick/Lindsfarne might trump York. I think the walk over the bridge to the SOL on match day might be what I'm most looking forward to (other than getting the 3 pts of course.)

A question that the Mrs. has asked - what are some great places to go for tea time? Or high tea? Not sure I know the difference, but still...

Love if umber 6, I might not be able to make that one work though. Sounds canny all that and quite similar to how my itinerary is shaping up, probably add Beamish and currently Alnwick/Lindsfarne might trump York. I think the walk over the bridge to the SOL on match day might be what I'm most looking forward to (other than getting the 3 pts of course.)

A question that the Mrs. has asked - what are some great places to go for tea time? Or high tea? Not sure I know the difference, but still...
Seaham Hall used to do a posh tea. You would have to check If they still do.

Love number 6, I might not be able to make that one work though. Sounds canny all that and quite similar to how my itinerary is shaping up, probably add Beamish and currently Alnwick/Lindsfarne might trump York. I think the walk over the bridge to the SOL on match day might be what I'm most looking forward to (other than getting the 3 pts of course.)

Toppa like! Makes the walk back even better!

You're better off going for tea in London I'd say - they do all that poncy high tea stuff there. They'll have your eyes out mind!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d.../9124793/Londons-ten-best-afternoon-teas.html

The one on the river seems like a two in one for you.

if you do go to York there is a tea place there that many rave about, http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_york.aspx went in a few years back and the only down side was how long it took to get served.

he doesn't want to... durham is boring as fuck anyway

Rubbish ....and you think Sunderland is exciting I suppose.

If he stays in Durham, its on the main rail line from London and as a consequence allows easy travel to York (60 mins), Newcastle (12 mins) or Edinburgh (90 mins).

Its much, much nicer for a visitor to stay and he can still spend all match day living the dream with his family as the Stadium is only 10 miles away.

Rubbish ....and you think Sunderland is exciting I suppose.

If he stays in Durham, its on the main rail line from London and as a consequence allows easy travel to York (60 mins), Newcastle (12 mins) or Edinburgh (90 mins).

Its much, much nicer for a visitor to stay and he can still spend all match day living the dream with his family as the Stadium is only 10 miles away.
where did i say sunderland was exciting? funny how you have named 3 different cities (york, edinburgh and newc) as a reason why durham is fun

where did i say sunderland was exciting? funny how you have named 3 different cities (york, edinburgh and newc) as a reason why durham is fun

Please feel free to point out where I said Durham was 'fun'.

It is undoubtedly a more pleasant destination than Sunderland City centre, it just is, admit it, and for a tourist with 3-4 days to kill, offers easy access to the places I mentioned which most Americans would rather visit than say Jacky Whites Market or Sea Road.

That is my view.

Please feel free to point out where I said Durham was 'fun'.

It is undoubtedly a more pleasant destination than Sunderland City centre, it just is, admit it, and for a tourist with 3-4 days to kill, offers easy access to the places I mentioned which most Americans would rather visit than say Jacky Whites Market or Sea Road.

That is my view.
you said "rubbish" when i called durham boring... that suggests you disagree and have the opposite opinion which would be fun/good/mint or whatever.

i never said sunderland was fun mate... i said there was a canny indian restaurant next to the hotel he wants to book. not once did i say it was fun. so carry on listing places like sea road and jacky whites because i could list some dumps in durham too.. too obvious though isnt it, just listing dumps?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back