Goodbye To The 'Iconic' Watford Gap M1 Services

One of my mates is a lorry driver. He is a world authority on Service stations.

He knows how far away you are from one and even which ones have the best sausage rolls. He knows where the best place to park is - absolutely everything.

Mind on every on single bit of intelligence he is beyond useless. Ask him what’s the capital of Brazil and his head might burst into flames.

Being good at geography is great on quiz shoes but useless when you want a sausage roll and a cup of tea.

I fed a tiger at at Whipsnade Zoo a few years ago.
I have a friend called Felix who's just moved back to Athens after living in California for 18 months.
I just finished off a jar of mango chutney so I've added it to my shopping list for later in the week.
I once farted on the set of Blue Lagoon.

great place to bomb to after the pubs shut when it was first opened for a coffee and see who was about, loads of us students stuffed in someone’s old banger

Stopped there a couple of years ago on the way to Watford funnily enough with the family and it was an absolute shithole inside, scruffiest services I’ve ever been to.

I parked in there over night a few years back, trailer full of Kelly Hoppen designer stuff. Woke up the next morning and the trailer had been broken into(it was signed up as Kuehne & Nagel and they're known for transporting alcohol) Few throws and picture frames scattered around but nothing taken. Stupid bastards could of made a fortune as they were worth fortunes.

I don't think it's too bad, and the Maccies is standard maccies price. The entry and exit are top drawer too IMO.

It's better than Tibshelf.

Aesthetically it's no Wetherby or Skelton Lake though.

Not a patch on Gloucester services on the M5 ,for those that really know ;)
f***ing love Gloucester services, different class
I don't think it's too bad, and the Maccies is standard maccies price. The entry and exit are top drawer too IMO.

It's better than Tibshelf.

Aesthetically it's no Wetherby or Skelton Lake though.
Tibbers is good crack, it’s the point where you are close enough home to think you are nearly home

Last edited:
Use to stop there in the 90's, was like pulling into the 1960/70's. My last memory of the place, i think was mid/late 90's and it was pretty much all under scaffold and tarpaulins, they'd shut the bogs on the North bound side, you was directed to either the South bound side or some porta-potties, thus every bloke were just pissing anywhere they could find across the carparks and bushes.

The guns of the cruiser HMS Belfast, moored on the Thames in London, are trained on the Watford Gap service station.
Could help with the demolition?

Wasn't really the North/South divide either in my eyes, I always used the Cooling Towers in Sheffield as "I'm back in the North" sign, also meant about an hour and half till home (Well until you hit M1/M62 cluster fuk).

Back