How long until fans turn on Poyet?

• Thread starter Deleted member 35145
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's perfectly understandable that Short has reined in spending, he's seen three managers fritter away a big chunk of his fortune to go from relegation stragglers to..... Relegation stragglers.

What I struggle to understand is how a squad capable of giving the best a run for their money can turn in so many half arsed performances.
not making excuses for the lazy lot but most are uncomfortable and at times look shit scared at the tactics given , some have adapted but some will struggle continuously and basically arnt good enough .

not making excuses for the lazy lot but most are uncomfortable and at times look shit scared at the tactics given , some have adapted but some will struggle continuously and basically arnt good enough .

We are decent defensively (most of the time), however we do not create enough chances, I think Fletcher might be okay at converting chances but the service to him is abysmal..Short may care to point out that he has spent around £20m on ex-MC players Johnson (flickers occasionally) and Rodwell who has as yet to spark to life. I personally do not rate Gomez too high but as a freebie he is better than Rodwell at present.

The Jan window may well be important as lots of sides need to improve up front and their is likely to be hot competition for players...Scocco did not work out for instance

I think it's perfectly understandable that Short has reined in spending, he's seen three managers fritter away a big chunk of his fortune to go from relegation stragglers to..... Relegation stragglers.

What I struggle to understand is how a squad capable of giving the best a run for their money can turn in so many half arsed performances.
We don't really give them a run for their money though. We camp on the edge of our box hoping to get away with it on the day and sometimes it works. We've hardly beaten any of the big boys into surrender in regards of actually taking the game to them. I do make you right in that we've let ourselves down against similar opposition to ourselves on too many occasions and that needs to be improved upon. Let's see what January brings because Gus seems terrified to attack with this team.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we get on as an attacking force once we have two recognised fullbacks, playing at the same time, on the correct side of the field who know how and when to go forward or stay back.

We've been really limited in this respect for most of the season and when you see most teams nowadays the fullback role is paramount in their forward play.

Never really been a fan of his from the off.
Signings last January did little to boost my faith in him.

Can't say that on here man! He's a legend for having a beard and being obnoxious

It's far too long ago to blame Keane man. He took us up from the Champo and kept us up more or less. 60m is cheap for that.

We have bought badly since Bruce to be honest, and terribly since we tried to implement this ridiculous DoF model.
De Fanti gave us about 14 signings, the premium ones being Jozy Altidore and Giac for £13m, and the only decent players he got in were the loanees Ki, Borini and Vergini. None of the rest were good enough to be in the starting line up. Let's not even mention Scocco. And then Congleton gets in a lot of cheap subs like Buckley, Bridcutt, Gomez and Jones and not only fails to buy or loan us a striker despite our need being obvious and desperate but spends £10m on Rodwell. And our big loan Alvarez can't get into a bang average team either.
For me this coming window is the last chance for the DoF system to show an inkling of hope that it's not just an unmitigated disaster and that Pulis is right. If the manager gets the blame then he should buy the players.

It's far too long ago to blame Keane man. He took us up from the Champo and kept us up more or less. 60m is cheap for that.

We have bought badly since Bruce to be honest, and terribly since we tried to implement this ridiculous DoF model.
De Fanti gave us about 14 signings, the premium ones being Jozy Altidore and Giac for £13m, and the only decent players he got in were the loanees Ki, Borini and Vergini. None of the rest were good enough to be in the starting line up. Let's not even mention Scocco. And then Congleton gets in a lot of cheap subs like Buckley, Bridcutt, Gomez and Jones and not only fails to buy or loan us a striker despite our need being obvious and desperate but spends £10m on Rodwell. And our big loan Alvarez can't get into a bang average team either.
For me this coming window is the last chance for the DoF system to show an inkling of hope that it's not just an unmitigated disaster and that Pulis is right. If the manager gets the blame then he should buy the players.
spot on , how anyone can have a go at what Keane did for this club is crazy

I'd say Poyet is the ultimate mixed bag. Some terrific performances and results, some undeniably good moves, equally some rotten decisions (5-3-2 to the point of near relegation being the obvious) and a real mix in the transfer market.

I remain unconvinced but he deserves longer to prove the SMB right or wrong according to your viewpoint.

The problem is we have no idea what his role is on transfers. He's made public statements recently saying he isn't in control which could be interpreted as dissatisfaction with the DoF situation or just trying to deflect blame.

We're used to not being sure what's going on in the changing room and in training but now we have even less to go on.

It's a ridiculous notion to think of sacking Poyet. Unlike the other managers the OP mentions, GP is actually building something that is identifiable and apparent. For the 1st time in years and years I can see what the manager is trying to build. I really hope ES backs him with time and money.

Now would be a great time to back the manager with about 20m to sign some quality in the offensive half. We are very solid at the back, if Short is sitting in t
the stands watching he must see that its attack wise we lack dynamism and pace. It needs sorted in January and no f***ing about otherwise, how can anyone expect any change results wise?

The reality is we'd well up shit creek without Ellis short. It's not like people lining up to purchase safc is it? There is some sort of delusion we have a Devine right to be in the premier. People's expectations are so high despite us spending much of the last 50 years outside the top flight and having won one trophy in that time. A reality check is in order. Incidentally our current run in the premier is the longest since its inception in the 90s.
Really? Is that a fact? I hadn't noticed. :D

Incidentally, could you really name 20 clubs that are bigger in stature, support and history than us, that would have a greater claim to a devine right to be in the Premier? Considering we are only equalling Wigan Athletic's run of 8 seasons this year and still have a way to go to stay up as long as Fulham, Bolton, Wimbledon or even Coventry did, I don't particularly think we are punching above our weight.

Didn't some fans abuse Bruce? MON? PDC? RK? MicMac? Wilki? Reidy? Buxton? Denis Smith, Laurie Mac? Bob Stokoe? Pop? Ian McFarlane? Jimmy A? Ken K? Alan B? Ian McColl? George Hardwick? I only go back 60 years so the old timers can fill in the gaps. Just wondering what is your point? It's not right to abuse but it seems we have a history of frustrated fans, so it isn't going to change overnight. :)
The choice of managers over the years was a big joke played on Sunderland fans:

Buxton
Adamson
Durban
McM*n*my
Ashurst
Crosby
Knighton
Elliott
McCarthy
Sbragia

Well, I've put forward the idea that it's the manager's job to motivate them to maintain those performances in low profile games, and that he just can't manage it where others can.

You can't teach A Level to Year 3 kids. :)
Are you saying he's still trying regardless?

Last edited:
Really? Is that a fact? I hadn't noticed. :D

Incidentally, could you really name 20 clubs that are bigger in stature, support and history than us, that would have a greater claim to a devine right to be in the Premier? Considering we are only equalling Wigan Athletic's run of 8 seasons this year and still have a way to go to stay up as long as Fulham, Bolton, Wimbledon or even Coventry did, I don't particularly think we are punching above our weight.

The choice of managers over the years was a big joke played on Sunderland fans:

Buxton
Adamson
Durban
McM*n*my
Ashurst
Crosby
Knighton
Elliott
McCarthy
Sbragia

Well, I've put forward the idea that it's the manager's job to motivate them to maintain those performances in low profile games, and that he just can't manage it where others can.

Are you saying he's still trying regardless?
No, I get the feeling he's at the end of his tether. :)

Do they really put 'half arsed' performances in, or is that you still maintaining that laziness, drink culture and unprofessionalism is the core of the problem? The fact they're mostly average to poor is the main problem, the fact there's still no pace in the side is another. Not simply laziness. There's occasions where they have a really poor game and get done like against Hull, but that's extremely normal outside the top four or five in football. It happens to most sides.

I would say it was just one of those things. Top teams let you play a bit, sides lower down the league rarely do. All sides raise their game for the top sides (generally speaking) so whilst we do take tome tonkings from the top sides, now and again we put in a decent performance and get a decent result. Down below it's pretty mixed.

Now would be a great time to back the manager with about 20m to sign some quality in the offensive half. We are very solid at the back, if Short is sitting in t
the stands watching he must see that its attack wise we lack dynamism and pace. It needs sorted in January and no f***ing about otherwise, how can anyone expect any change results wise?

This, though tbh I can't see it happening. Short will look at where we're at and we're on course to stay up currently. A few loans or £5m or so in the hope of a bargain and it should be job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back