Immoral to let foetuses with Down's Syndrome be born?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm almost ashamed of my own views on this one. I'm anti abortion in most cases. Not that as an aborted foetus I'd know anything about it but I have this compulsion to imagine, that the tissue dumped in the waste bin could have been me. Not only that but I also feel the potential father's view is completely ignored, passed over in the face of the "It's my body" argument from the potential mother. I accept that I need help here as I'm completely out of line with current thinking.

I'm almost ashamed of my own views on this one. I'm anti abortion in most cases. Not that as an aborted foetus I'd know anything about it but I have this compulsion to imagine, that the tissue dumped in the waste bin could have been me. Not only that but I also feel the potential father's view is completely ignored, passed over in the face of the "It's my body" argument from the potential mother. I accept that I need help here as I'm completely out of line with current thinking.
I'm very pro-choice but can't see owt you've said wrong there like marra.

This, but won't stop this thread going on for days and days.
Of course it is personal choice (subject to certain legal dictats) but many will be against abortion generally but may be be pro abortion in certain cases.

The question is not so much about abortion but is it wrong to let a child with Down's Syndrome live?

Nowt wrong with reasoned opinion marra.

I work with disabled kids and some we have with Downs are an absolute joy to work with. They're very very loving kids but they're also generally stubborn which can be hard work.

I think its a case of a child still has a personality whatever their learning difficulty/disability is and frankly its immoral to a abort a child purely on this basis where they still have a chance and the opportunity to be an individual.

Children with disabilities in my experience seem so much more thankful and grateful for the simpler things in life than your average spoiled mainstream kid. Take the chance to get to know them and see them develop before judging.

There is a Downs kid who lives next door to me and she seems to have a very enjoyable and almost normal lifestyle.
The thought of her being aborted because of her condition is horrifying.

I'm sure her parents would be equally horrified that couples decide to terminate Down's Syndrome foetuses. It is a difficult question since it is currently legal to abort. Classic discussion topic for secondary school Citizenship / PSD classes.

There is a Downs kid who lives next door to me and she seems to have a very enjoyable and almost normal lifestyle.
The thought of her being aborted because of her condition is horrifying.

Same applies to the two Down Syndrome people I have known, one died at the age of 53, the other is now well into her 60's

I'd probably want to go the abortion route. She'd have one of them kids with 8 arms without giving a shit she's wired that long for #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back