Immoral to let foetuses with Down's Syndrome be born?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry, I was sort of agreeing with you, that society doesn't need to worry about producing perfect people because that's not how it works

I can see a point in the (perhaps sci-fi) future where resources will impact the human race so much and in conjunction biological technology is advanced enough that the birth of a human will also require some kind of guarantee or potential to be a + return on investment, a point in time where the gene pool will be controlled and the emotive ideas that this type of discussion brings up will be a secondary consideration to the hard core logic of survival of the human race, mass over population, a post-apocalyptic event, a meteor strike or some other near extinction event.

In fact I think I have seen this movie it was called Gattaca :lol:

I can see a point in the (perhaps sci-fi) future where resources will impact the human race so much and in conjunction biological technology is advanced enough that the birth of a human will also require some kind of guarantee or potential to be a + return on investment, a point in time where the gene pool will be controlled and the emotive ideas that this type of discussion brings up will be a secondary consideration to the hard core logic of survival of the human race, mass over population, a post-apocalyptic event, a meteor strike or some other near extinction event.

In fact I think I have seen this movie it was called Gattaca :lol:

Isn't that where a bloke would rather be shot into space than stay with Uma Thurman?

I'm almost ashamed of my own views on this one. I'm anti abortion in most cases. Not that as an aborted foetus I'd know anything about it but I have this compulsion to imagine, that the tissue dumped in the waste bin could have been me. Not only that but I also feel the potential father's view is completely ignored, passed over in the face of the "It's my body" argument from the potential mother. I accept that I need help here as I'm completely out of line with current thinking.

This needs addressing IMO.

There will always be limits on that though. Agree the balance is out of whack at the moment but there will never be total parity
True and I understand that ultimately it is the mother bearing the brunt of the pregnancy but it does seem unfair that one of the people that is responsible for that life being created has no say in if it lives or dies.

True and I understand that ultimately it is the mother bearing the brunt of the pregnancy but it does seem unfair that one of the people that is responsible for that life being created has no say in if it lives or dies.

True. The law's a bit of a blunt instrument in matters like this unfortunately.

There will always be limits on that though. Agree the balance is out of whack at the moment but there will never be total parity

I’m struggling to see any other reasonable stance the law could have, to be honest. Ideally, of course, it would always be a decision which is reached jointly by both parents and it is in the vast majority of instances. In cases where there is complete disagreement regarding termination I’m fairly sure it’s significantly more common that it is the father’s wish to abort rather than the mother’s, although I can’t remember where I’ve got that from. In the remaining cases when the mother wants an abortion and the father is opposed and there is no possibility of agreement, then all that remains is the unfortunate choice between a woman depriving the man of a yet unborn child or a man legally being able to force a woman to carry a baby to term against her will. I can’t see how the law can rationally come down in favour of the latter.

not to want to put a light-hearted spin on a serious thread, everyone loves the mash:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...dom-strangers-why-he-hates-them-2014082189774

:lol:

"The former scientist..."

Without wanting to sound like a patronising bellend, fair play to everyone who contributed to this thread.

It's a massively emotive topic and there are a lot of conflicting opinions, but the debate has been really interesting imo.

Just thought I'd say that before "Friday night" happens and it's eventually seized by the police.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m struggling to see any other reasonable stance the law could have, to be honest. Ideally, of course, it would always be a decision which is reached jointly by both parents and it is in the vast majority of instances. In cases where there is complete disagreement regarding termination I’m fairly sure it’s significantly more common that it is the father’s wish to abort rather than the mother’s, although I can’t remember where I’ve got that from. In the remaining cases when the mother wants an abortion and the father is opposed and there is no possibility of agreement, then all that remains is the unfortunate choice between a woman depriving the man of a yet unborn child or a man legally being able to force a woman to carry a baby to term against her will. I can’t see how the law can rationally come down in favour of the latter.

True. The law's a bit of a blunt instrument in matters like this unfortunately.

What a perfectly pompous little answer.

Where did I say it's a ridiculous question "because others may not agree with me"?

Did you actually understand my post?
Probably not.

Did you understand my reply?

Edit: I did understand your post - you thought it neither immoral to abort nor immoral to go ahead with the pregnancy. I agreed with you (pretty much).

I can't see why I was wrong to post the thread though?:confused:

Last edited:
Probably not.

Did you understand my reply?

Edit: I did understand your post - you thought it neither immoral to abort nor immoral to go ahead with the pregnancy. I agreed with you (pretty much).

I can't see why I was wrong to post the thread though?:confused:
Peach, I apologise. My reply to you was unnecessarily rude. I reacted sharply (too sharply) because life is messy and there's often no easy answers, and compassion is often the only way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back