Is anyone not that bothered anymore

Don’t know if it’s an age thing, but I’m not arsed about today I’m over the result immediately these days, years ago it would ruin my weekend. The club show zero ambition, than was evident in the last few transfer window, what’s KLD end game, promotion then sell up ? Even if we did get in to the top league we’d need to invest heavily in players, we’re light years even behind the average premier league teams, we will never challenge at the top end.
This all over.

I'm 57 years old, seen it all before but it doesn't make it any easier to take.

These days, we've got this forum to vent our fury if needed, but I do think the Amazon culture is prevalent on this board with the majority of posters.

It is what it is for me, it's SAFC, it's always been this way with SAFC and the majority of clubs in football.

Don’t know if it’s an age thing, but I’m not arsed about today I’m over the result immediately these days, years ago it would ruin my weekend. The club show zero ambition, than was evident in the last few transfer window, what’s KLD end game, promotion then sell up ? Even if we did get in to the top league we’d need to invest heavily in players, we’re light years even behind the average premier league teams, we will never challenge at the top end.
Absolutely mate, spot on, it's the reality unfortunately. I've become numb to the pain of Sunderland, I've learned by now we might go on a good run for a game or two but it always comes back to the same shite we play. I'm yet to see a Sunderland team who can play well and knock it about consistently and score goals, I thought we were getting there but we always end up getting back to this.

Wish I didn’t care as much, but I do. Always have, always will.

I've felt like this for a while - and tbf it's not all the club's fault. Combination of age, shifting life priorities and disillusionment with modern football over the last ten years - I've long hated the fact that our clubs ambition should just be to finish mid table in top flight.

However, the standard of football plays a part in people falling off. I started off having less interest, and care, around O'Neills era and even though I have still followed us obviously and watch us, it's never felt as 'vital' as it did before. That era was miserable and depressing and just turgid.

Similarly, you could feel an excitement and vibrancy around the fan base under Mowbray. We weren't perfect but we were fun, and scored goals and entertained.

That's been ripped out, and now we're just miserable again, and people are becoming apathetic to it. It's not dissimilar how the drudgery of Moyes rolled over into the Championship relegation year, and there felt an air of resignation about the place. The board would do well to learn the lessons if that and make sure we don't fall into a longer, more permanent rut.

got to a point in league 1 under Parkinson I was at total apathy. I bloody loved last season, though. Young, hungry players playing a brand of football that was fantastic to watch. Most defeats last season we gave it a bloody good go. Now, I’m getting to the apathy stage again. Playing turgid football whilst losing to bang average sides. Think some of our players are too.

I'm yet to see a Sunderland team who can play well and knock it about consistently and score goals, I thought we were getting there but we always end up getting back to this.
I think Reidy’s side achieved consistency for a while, but it’s been the familiar ups and downs since.

The centre forward thing answers all the questions. If we had a seasoned centre forward we could be serious play off contenders but it hasn't happened But that doesn't really matter because if we did go up at least half the squad would need replacing and we'd need to revert to a more solid defensive side, a bit like Luton but if course that's been their basic gameplan for several years. So we are just caught in this limbo.

I’m assuming that’s your birth year in the username. If so you are a couple of years older than me and I haven’t given a toss really since the Simon Grayson days. It got gradually worse and for a long time I haven’t really cared that much.

We get beat but it doesn’t ruin my weekend like it used to when I was younger. I’ve far more important things to get wound up about than Sunderland f***ing me off week after week.

The season was finished the day he was appointed and we’ll sleep walk into finishing 12th or thereabouts

Joke of a decision from the hierarchy

And as painful as that is….thats what our club is now

So you care less now then anytime in the last 6 years ?

I’m assuming that’s your birth year in the username. If so you are a couple of years older than me and I haven’t given a toss really since the Simon Grayson days. It got gradually worse and for a long time I haven’t really cared that much.

We get beat but it doesn’t ruin my weekend like it used to when I was younger. I’ve far more important things to get wound up about than Sunderland f***ing me off week after week.
It gets less and less of a bother, it is what it is and I'm minded to think it's all the money in the game thats harmed the game. The shit hyperstuff I use to do when we got promoted in 1990, 1996 and 1999, it truly meant something 😊 Dear me..

I’m surprised our league one run didn’t knock it out of you if today did is my only comment.

5 year plans, being in the Premier League, worrying about finances, it doesn't interest me anymore. Watching young lads playing an exciting brand of football, wether they won or lost, it didn't matter, football was just fun again. Shame it's all gone to shit so quick.

The season was finished the day he was appointed and we’ll sleep walk into finishing 12th or thereabouts

Joke of a decision from the hierarchy

And as painful as that is….thats what our club is now
Understand where you're coming from.
KS would get loads of credit if he came out and held his hand up and said 'got this wrong - these lads need a manager not a shite coach'
People make mistakes - it's owning up to them

I’m gutted -so yes of course-it’s our team for life and they better hurry up and win something-long time since 73
Can only live off that for so long !!

Last edited:
Whilst things aren't great, it seems many are unwilling to give anyone any time. Speakman's been here for what, 2 and a half years, it's nothing. During that time we've been promoted and got in the playoffs. Which frankly, is very good with the budget be has to work with.

Beale has been here a few months and already people want him out. They wanted the bloke out before he even arrived. I'd have loved nothing more than for us to win every game, but it's not realistic and the constant negativity is putting me off more than the football.

You know what will happen, Beale will leave, Speakman will eventually get pissed off and think it's not worth it, even KLD might decide to call it a day. Some will say great, we'll have a chance to get someone better and perhaps we will, but we're just as more likely to end up with someone utterly clueless with little or no idea. I'd prefer to give the ownership a proper chance, see how they develop these young players and see what plans they have to reinvest the money made from outgoings when the inevitable player sales happen this summer.
we'll not know the truth of them 'til they have a big wedge from a sale or two and what happens to it

Nah
If I felt like that I’d pack in all together

I completely get what you are saying and I want to agree but I am in a right strop and my lass has gone to bed because I am still moaning about the match.

I keep telling myself I don’t care anymore and they can go and shove it but I clearly still do.

I've felt like this for a while - and tbf it's not all the club's fault. Combination of age, shifting life priorities and disillusionment with modern football over the last ten years - I've long hated the fact that our clubs ambition should just be to finish mid table in top flight.

However, the standard of football plays a part in people falling off. I started off having less interest, and care, around O'Neills era and even though I have still followed us obviously and watch us, it's never felt as 'vital' as it did before. That era was miserable and depressing and just turgid.

Similarly, you could feel an excitement and vibrancy around the fan base under Mowbray. We weren't perfect but we were fun, and scored goals and entertained.

That's been ripped out, and now we're just miserable again, and people are becoming apathetic to it. It's not dissimilar how the drudgery of Moyes rolled over into the Championship relegation year, and there felt an air of resignation about the place. The board would do well to learn the lessons if that and make sure we don't fall into a longer, more permanent rut.
We have a hardcore 25K
The rest drift in & out
You’re a drifter at best

Back