jerusalem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit political that at the moment mate
thing is all the home nations have individual anthems for these commonwealth games and it has caused not one jot of a problem. play god save the queen in scotland, wales northern ireland and it gets booed

thing is all the home nations have individual anthems for these commonwealth games and it has caused not one jot of a problem. play god save the queen in scotland, wales northern ireland and it gets booed
Was referencing the Middle East situation more than anything else

I hate this song, why would we want England to be like jerusalem, has our land been fought over for thousands of years? no it's green and pleasant like England due to our decent arable community, not bombed out and deluded by extremist religious indifference.

Good idea.
lets rally around a song named after one of the most contentious cities in the world, which is in fact thousands of miles away from England and is inhabited by people whose life and culture couldn't be further removed from our own.
of course a few hoorah henrys sing it while draped in union jacks and full of real ale, so it's gotta be our song.
pass the barf bucket

I prefer "Land of Hope and Glory" but we'll not get rid of God save the Queen/King. So as a compromise why can't we just use "God save" when the monarch is in attendance.

Good idea.
lets rally around a song named after one of the most contentious cities in the world, which is in fact thousands of miles away from England and is inhabited by people whose life and culture couldn't be further removed from our own.
of course a few hoorah henrys sing it while draped in union jacks and full of real ale, so it's gotta be our song.
pass the barf bucket

Aye - so just change the words. The tune is stirring, but the words are inappropriate. We have a Poet Laureate - make her do a bit of work. (If she can't be arsed then I had a bash years ago - posted on here).

Should use Land of Hope and Glory.

Macho Man Randy Savage was unbeatable with that bad boy behind him

This.
Jerusalem, as much as I like it, is somewhat crusade-y, although the bigger issue is that it's more for Cricket fans!
Let us have LOHAG!

One of the highlights of being with the Barmy Army in Oz was when everyone was singing it. Football would somehow ruin it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back