Longest spell in our history out of top league

Why didn't you say 16 then?
Perhaps I'm the first person on this board to admit not be infallible. I'd argue 16 and 20 years are similar periods and you wouldn't want to be out of top flight for either length of time.
So you think it’s about maximising profit?
Its a theory. So far the actions of the club seem to back this up. Why else would owners not invest in the off field aspects of the club and completely ignore FFP impact of increasing turnover.

Last edited:

Its a theory. So far the actions of the club seem to back this up. Why else would owners not invest in the off field aspects of the club and completely ignore FFP impact of increasing turnover.
Imo it’s because the immediate improvements were needed in other areas, aka on the pitch. Now I accept that only washes for so long and it’s gone on too long.

I keep hearing this but we will need to shift a lot more than one every 2 years if we want to compete with parachute clubs. 2 every 12 months more like.
Who said anything about competing with anyone in this league. I'm speaking about the player farm model of self sufficiency. If we wanted to compete we'd have done what was required in the last few windows, its clear from actions that promotion isn't on the agenda any time soon.
Sheffield Wednesday precisely.
They were a yo-yo club between the 1st and 2nd Divisions in the 1950's. Now they go between the 2nd and 3rd.
Joined a line of northern clubs doing the same.
Blackburn, Blackpool, Preston, Bolton and Sheffield United, there may be others.
Would hate to see Sunderland join them, but we've been relegated to the 3rd Division twice, the rot needs to be stopped.
Or a meringue?
Well they were decades apart so I'm not panicking just yet. There has been a precedence set though and we should be mindful that we could be relegated from this league and act accordingly.
Imo it’s because the immediate improvements were needed in other areas, aka on the pitch. Now I accept that only washes for so long and it’s gone on too long.
Thing with successful people is that they have resources and can multi task. People have highlighted that parts of the Sol are in danger of falling apart. Do we want to be like Birmingham and have parts of our ground condemned? Also building the off field actually assists the onfield as it increases turnover.

Last edited:
Who said anything about competing with anyone in this league. I'm speaking about the player farm model of self sufficiency. If we wanted to compete we'd have done what was required in the last few windows, its clear from actions that promotion isn't on the agenda any time soon.

Well they were decades apart so I'm not panicking just yet. There has been a precedence set though and we should be mindful that we could be relegated from this league and act accordingly.

Thing with successful people is that they have resources and can multi task. People have highlighted that parts of the Sol are in danger of falling apart. Do we want to be like Birmingham and have parts of our ground condemned? Also building the off field actually assists the onfield as it increases turnover.
But back to the finance side. Wouldn’t being in the PL be better for that?

But back to the finance side. Wouldn’t being in the PL be better for that?
No. There's a higher cost base. All player wages would increase and you'd find it tougher to bring in players on the cheap. We are in the perfect place to develop players. Look at the B sides on the continent.

Said this a couple of times.

People dont seem to realise what a low point this is for SAFC and as the lad above says if we aren't careful this "model" will see us 15 tears plus out of the top flight.

I think it was 19 years for Leeds and might have been more for Forest.

dont think it cant or wont happen here - given that we are a very poorly run club.
How are we poorly run? Financially speaking that is.

What is the answer then? We've assembled a squad for relatively little money which is now worth in excess of £70m plus. How is that a poorly run club?

Are you suggesting we take massive risks, throw money at it and possibly still not get promoted? Lots of clubs in the Championship are in a financial hovel, it won't be long until more clubs are being deducted points and or entering administration.

I'd rather we didn't bet on the future of our club just to satisfy a few impatient fans.

But there’s not a £170m pull on the continent
Theres an established structure of feeder clubs as b teams. Thats what Im suggesting we're being set up to be for the time being. Going up costs them the chance to make money on a Ba (what £500k) play him 100 games and sell on at profit. Couldn't do it in top flight as the cost base goes up and the standard is much higher.

A sure sign of our decline. I remember when I used to think our rightful place was top 10 in premier league. Laughable to think that now.
In specifically the Premier League? In our 16 seasons in the Premier League we managed 3 top 10 finishes. And 4 bottom 3 finishes. Guessing vision a bit blurred remembering those back to back 7th place finishes? Won't blame you. I thought we'd made it in the top half as a permanent fixture and the next step to be to challenge for European places. The season after was just a temporary blip on that road, right?

Theres an established structure of feeder clubs as b teams. Thats what Im suggesting we're being set up to be for the time being. Going up costs them the chance to make money on a Ba (what £500k) play him 100 games and sell on at profit. Couldn't do it in top flight as the cost base goes up and the standard is much higher.
Thing is. If that is actually the plan, they’ll have to recruit a lot better than they have recently! 😂

Have to say Burnley and Sheff Utd this weekend haven’t had me in any rush to return 😂 (this isn’t to be taken literally)
I'm not saying they're competent in executing that plan, just that the plan In my theory matches the facts to date.
Imo there’s two ways to get promoted if you’re not a parachute club. Spend a lot. Do what we’re attempting. I’m yet to see what I’d class as a hybrid. I think what we’re doing is a legitimate attempt to improve and go up. But as you say, not executed.

Last edited:
Have to say Burnley and Sheff Utd this weekend haven’t had me in any rush to return 😂 (this isn’t to be taken literally)

Imo there’s two ways to get promoted if you’re not a parachute club. Spend a lot. Do what we’re attempting. I’m yet to see what I’d class as a hybrid. I think what we’re doing is a legitimate attempt to improve and go up. But as you say, not executed.
No team has ever gone up doing what we're doing.

Not sure your correct re return to prem. Rather lose to Man City and the like than Birmingham and Huddersfield.

How are we poorly run? Financially speaking that is.

What is the answer then? We've assembled a squad for relatively little money which is now worth in excess of £70m plus. How is that a poorly run club?

Are you suggesting we take massive risks, throw money at it and possibly still not get promoted? Lots of clubs in the Championship are in a financial hovel, it won't be long until more clubs are being deducted points and or entering administration.

I'd rather we didn't bet on the future of our club just to satisfy a few impatient fans.
Are we worth 70 million?

Clark let's say top end we get 20 million and then have to pay a chunk to Spurs. Next two who are worth money are academy players in Patterson and Neil, then Ballard will be worth something as well.

After that though, bit sure anyone is worth more than a couple of million minus any clauses they have.

Aleese and Ekwah came for nothing so will profit on them but not much and have to give half of that away.

Higgins will leave on a free.

Evans, Dack, Burstow have all been loss making paying wages for nothing in return. Burstow has probably hindered our other players progressing.

Jobe is a hard one to call, at one point he looked a cert to bring in a marginal profit but the more he plays the more likely we maybes make a slight profit in him but at the same time lose out on Rigg who has a bigger upside imo.

The foreign lads, might make pennies on them but Ba, Pembele, Aouchiche, Bennett, Rusyn, Triantis, Seelt, Mayenda, Hemir so far aren't worth anything more than we paid for them. Some night be worth less. Obviously plenty time but as present I'd say the player farm theory isn't working.

Are we worth 70 million?

Clark let's say top end we get 20 million and then have to pay a chunk to Spurs. Next two who are worth money are academy players in Patterson and Neil, then Ballard will be worth something as well.

After that though, bit sure anyone is worth more than a couple of million minus any clauses they have.

Aleese and Ekwah came for nothing so will profit on them but not much and have to give half of that away.

Higgins will leave on a free.

Evans, Dack, Burstow have all been loss making paying wages for nothing in return. Burstow has probably hindered our other players progressing.

Jobe is a hard one to call, at one point he looked a cert to bring in a marginal profit but the more he plays the more likely we maybes make a slight profit in him but at the same time lose out on Rigg who has a bigger upside imo.

The foreign lads, might make pennies on them but Ba, Pembele, Aouchiche, Bennett, Rusyn, Triantis, Seelt, Mayenda, Hemir so far aren't worth anything more than we paid for them. Some night be worth less. Obviously plenty time but as present I'd say the player farm theory isn't working.
Clarke - £20-30m
Ballard - £10-15m
Neil - £10-15m
Hume - £10m
Bellingham - £5-10m
Alese - £5m
Cirkin - £5m
O'Nien - £5m
Patterson - £10m
Ekwah - £3m-£5m
Roberts - £5-10m
Rusyn - £2-2.5m
Rigg - £1-2m (could be more depending on tribunal)
Seelt - £1-2m

All estimates, but considering I've missed out a few players there that could bring in £1-2m here and there, yes, I think we can say £70m plus is a reasonable estimate.

Has the clock just ticked over today or something? Seems strange in Feb to hit that milestone
No. Just Burstow starting again. When its obvious to everyone who knows anything about football that hes nowhere near the level. And were not getting anywhere near the play offs
Carry on Happy clapping

Clarke - £20-30m
Ballard - £10-15m
Neil - £10-15m
Hume - £10m
Bellingham - £5-10m
Alese - £5m
Cirkin - £5m
O'Nien - £5m
Patterson - £10m
Ekwah - £3m-£5m
Roberts - £5-10m
Rusyn - £2-2.5m
Seelt - £1-2m

All estimates, but considering I've missed out a few players there that could bring in £1-2m here and there, yes, I think we can say £70m plus is a reasonable estimate.
Clarke £20m max
Ballard £5-7m
Neil similar
Hume £3-4m
Bellingham similar if he starts performing
Alese, Cirkin O’Nien Ekwar £1-3m
Patto £7-10m
The rest sub £2m

Clarke - £20-30m
Ballard - £10-15m
Neil - £10-15m
Hume - £10m
Bellingham - £5-10m
Alese - £5m
Cirkin - £5m
O'Nien - £5m
Patterson - £10m
Ekwah - £3m-£5m
Roberts - £5-10m
Rusyn - £2-2.5m
Seelt - £1-2m

Your estimates are awful mate.

Hume 10 million 🤣🤣🤣
Bellingham ain't gonna be near 10 million unless he improves, at current Id say he's closer to one million.
No one is paying 5 million for a constantly crocked Alese or Cirkin. No one's paying 5 million for O Nien full stop or even close to that.

The reason Clark is still here is because no one's willing to pay more than ten and it'll be the same for Patterson and Neil. Ballard might get a few but again I doubt anyone pays more than ten.

Think you'll be lucky to get 5 for Roberts.

The rest are maybes about right but really depends on who wants them. No Prem teams are coming in for the vast majority of then at present which means none of them will get a big fee.

Your estimates are awful mate.

Hume 10 million 🤣🤣🤣
Bellingham ain't gonna be near 10 million unless he improves, at current Id say he's closer to one million.
No one is paying 5 million for a constantly crocked Alese or Cirkin. No one's paying 5 million for O Nien full stop or even close to that.

The reason Clark is still here is because no one's willing to pay more than ten and it'll be the same for Patterson and Neil. Ballard might get a few but again I doubt anyone pays more than ten.

Think you'll be lucky to get 5 for Roberts.

The rest are maybes about right but really depends on who wants them. No Prem teams are coming in for the vast majority of then at present which means none of them will get a big fee.
You're laughing at Hume's estimation?

What would you estimate him to be worth? He's got 63 senior first team appearances, the majority of which are in the championship, he's also a Northern Ireland international and is only 21.

If anything, I think £10m is fair. We wouldn't sell him for anything less imo. Spence was signed by Spurs for circa £20m.

Clarke's value will have only increased this season and there will be competition for his signature come the summer.

I've proven my point and you've laughed it off weirdly and only devalued a few which would still have the above at £70m.

Last edited:
You're laughing at Hume's estimation?

What would you estimate him to be worth? He's got 63 senior first team appearances, the majority of which are in the championship, he's also a Northern Ireland international and is only 21.

If anything, I think £10m is fair. We wouldn't sell him for anything less imo. Spence was signed by Spurs for circa £20m.

Clarke's value will have only increased this season and there will be competition for his signature come the summer.
He's worth about 3 million. He got destroyed of Gordon and made to look every bit the championship level player he is.

I like the lad and he's full of commitment but he's already hit his ceiling. Playing for Northern Island means nowt, they are shite and always have been.

If he moves he'll move sideways, even teams like Coventry wouldn't be arsed about him if we're honest.

Highest bid on Clarke was 12 million, at best we'll get twenty and then give half that away. There's absolutely millions of wingers out there so there's an abundance of players who can do the same at a lower value. He won't go for massive money otherwise he already would have.

Back