Lord's Prayer Banned From Cinemas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, the argument that God knows what's best for us implies that we don't. So it implies that without God, I won't know not to be good and I'd just continue to shit my pants. I don't need God or his/her rules (made up by ancient humans) to tell me to stop shitting my pants and to be nice to people. I want to be nice to people, but the argument states that I don't, and God needs to tell me to be nice to people.

It implies that we're all evil and haven't got a f***ing clue how to live or be nice to people. I find that quite patronising personally.
Well I'm not saying you don't, but the world clearly does.

And I think God does know what's best tbh.

Basically, the argument that God knows what's best for us implies that we don't. So it implies that without God, I won't know not to be good and I'd just continue to shit my pants. I don't need God or his/her rules (made up by ancient humans) to tell me to stop shitting my pants and to be nice to people. I want to be nice to people, but the argument states that I don't, and God needs to tell me to be nice to people.

It implies that we're all evil and haven't got a f***ing clue how to live or be nice to people. I find that quite patronising personally.

Why give humans any intelligence if they can't be trusted? We may as all be gravy dripping fat mags hitting Hyracotherium in a Primordial soup.

Well I'm not saying you don't, but the world clearly does.

And I think God does know what's best tbh.
I think if God exists then he certainly does know what it's all about. But what if we're just his pawns and he likes to see us blow each other up for his own amusement? What's to say what he thinks is best for us isn't what we think is best and why should we go with his ideas? He obviously thinks that children dying is okay, or at the very least doesn't want to end that suffering because he thinks it's best that we deal with it

WTF? You're obviously an educated and intelligent bloke who has debated well on here. Why pin your hopes on a man in the sky?
I don't see it as pinning my hopes on anyone, I just believe in God and that the bible is the way he wants us to live.

I think if God exists then he certainly does know what it's all about. But what if we're just his pawns and he likes to see us blow each other up for his own amusement? What's to say what he thinks is best for us isn't what we think is best and why should we go with his ideas? He obviously thinks that children dying is okay, or at the very least doesn't want to end that suffering because he thinks it's best that we deal with it
Fairly basic teaching of Christianity is that Adam and eve sinning brought up that exact point, we haven't done a very good job on our own.

How would you know if the 'big fella' upstairs smokes or not?

JC (if he existed in that era) would have drank wine. Maybe even to excess.

It's been safer to drink ale or gin rather than water in England at times in the past. So temperance has a time and place, it's practicalities of human survival that count, not doctrines of imaginary moral leaders.

I'm not too sure about that to be honest. If we consider John before him and James after, their cultural background appears to be Rechabite who not only banned the drinking of wine but even growing the vine. In fact even allegorical or symbolic references were forbidden. They were also vegetarian and references to flesh would also be extremely doubtful. I realise that makes the Last Supper account and the Eucharist ritual very dubious.

I didn't realise that it was a "Christian" calendar. In any event, it's fairly difficult to follow other than the standard January-December calendar. As for being happy to take Christian holidays, I don't really have any choice, the places I work are closed on these days. As far as I can work out, it's 4 days a year at best - Christmas day, Boxing day, Good Friday and Easter Monday. I also don't have a problem with the Queens official birthday in May, but I'm no Royalist. Had St Andrews Day today too, and I've never met the man.
The queen's birthdays are in April and June. You may be thinking of May day bank holiday, and it seems nobody berates the capitalists for taking that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back