Met Police football unit tweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you reckon the folk that tweet daft things and end up in court for malicious communication or whatever the charge is think "I'll post this tweet and I'll end up in court". Simple mistake or not, it's ridiculous.

If that tweet from the met police was along the lines of "Wembley is a no-smoking area. Don't want the place going up in flames" during Bradford's cup final the other season, this place would be outraged.

There's a difference between tweeting something malicious and being too stupid to realise you might end up in court because you are a relatively anonymous user on a social media site and a public account like the Met tweeting something that is a genuine accident. If you are having a competition where the first there wins, you have to make sure you attempt to control the crowd. If they said 'first one in wins!' and there was a rush and somebody got hurt we'd all be saying 'irresponsible tweet'.

Shall I be offended because I'm from Sunderland and we had the Victoria Hall disaster which was the direct result of a 'first in wins a prize' competition?

So the Police's official Twitter account has decided to mock the deaths of Liverpool fans then?

Why are people so desperate to be outraged by anything these days?

Some PR person / agency, who quite possibly wasn't even alive in 1989, has been given the task of tweeting, and trying to make it interesting. They've tried to be mildly amusing. It isn't part of a conspiracy. It wasn't done with any malice. It wasn't done with any planned reference to Hillsborough. But if you try really, really hard to be offended, I suppose you could be. Yet there's people on here suggesting that someone should be sacked. Just like last year with that Daily Mirror journo and the mascot. What, really? Someone's career should be ended when they haven't tried to do anything wrong?

Next there'll be calls for apologies, and then if one is made the apology will be ignored.

f***ing pathetic.
Spot on. And then it will be in the papers tomorrow - "met tweet causes anguish for hillsborough families", when it's not the tweet but the reaction to it that's the problem, by drawing attention to it. I wouldn't be surprised if papers even called up victims' families to tell them about it and get quotes. if people ignored it there would be no issue, but as you say, any excuse to be outraged.

Anyone who thinks a prize from the cops is worth forgoing another pint for deserves the tazering that the daft git will get when he is first through the gate

Spot on. And then it will be in the papers tomorrow - "met tweet causes anguish for hillsborough families", when it's not the tweet but the reaction to it that's the problem, by drawing attention to it. I wouldn't be surprised if papers even called up victims' families to tell them about it and get quotes. if people ignored it there would be no issue, but as you say, any excuse to be outraged.

f***ing hell - the 'as long as you keep quiet then you can do what you like' theory.

So if we all tweet 'superhans1 is a known paedophile', but none of us draw your attention to it - we just leave it there, in that well known bastion of secrecy that is social media - that's OK, is it?

f***ing hell - the 'as long as you keep quiet then you can do what you like' theory.

So if we all tweet 'superhans1 is a known paedophile', but none of us draw your attention to it - we just leave it there, in that well known bastion of secrecy that is social media - that's OK, is it?
hehe, the difference is this is an honest mistake. if it wasn't then of course he should be punished for it. but here i'm sure it was just an unfortunate turn of phrase given the circumstances. it should be left to blow over.

Yeah, because that's really comparing like with like isn't it - a statement which is libellous and contains allegations of criminal behaviour, and a tweet which contained no references whatsoever to Hillsborough.

The tweet is only offensive if you believe that the MPS football unit were taking the piss out of 96 dead Liverpool fans on their twitter feed when they advised people to get in early to avoid the rush. Is that what you think?

Yeah, because that's really comparing like with like isn't it - a statement which is libellous and contains allegations of criminal behaviour, and a tweet which contained no references whatsoever to Hillsborough.

The tweet is only offensive if you believe that the MPS football unit were taking the piss out of 96 dead Liverpool fans on their twitter feed when they advised people to get in early to avoid the rush. Is that what you think?

I was using the point to illustrate that 'not drawing attention to a tweet' doesn't make it OK, as was inferred by the previous poster. I wasn't making any comment at all about the Met Police tweet.

Where did I say "The tweet is only offensive if you believe that the MPS football unit were taking the piss out of 96 dead Liverpool fans on their twitter feed when they advised people to get in early to avoid the rush" - I didn't, did I?

And isn't that what you think?! Aren't you arguing that it's not offensive?

Personally, I think at best it's insensitive, and at worse malicious. I can understand how people could be upset by it - and clearly the Met do, as they've taken it down.

Mind, the hatred of Liverpool and everything that entails on these type of threads never ceases to amaze me. As always, there's the usual 'bin dippers' 'candles' and 'Hysel' crap. It's puerile.

And this one championing the Met - the f***ing Met police force - rather than show any empathy?

Sad that, as football fans, we can't appreciate that most other teams' fans are pretty much the same as us, and that we've always, always got to go with petty rivalry and prejudices.

I was using the point to illustrate that 'not drawing attention to a tweet' doesn't make it OK, as was inferred by the previous poster. I wasn't making any comment at all about the Met Police tweet.

Where did I say "The tweet is only offensive if you believe that the MPS football unit were taking the piss out of 96 dead Liverpool fans on their twitter feed when they advised people to get in early to avoid the rush" - I didn't, did I?

And isn't that what you think?! Aren't you arguing that it's not offensive?

Personally, I think at best it's insensitive, and at worse malicious. I can understand how people could be upset by it - and clearly the Met do, as they've taken it down.

Mind, the hatred of Liverpool and everything that entails on these type of threads never ceases to amaze me. As always, there's the usual 'bin dippers' 'candles' and 'Hysel' crap. It's puerile.

And this one championing the Met - the f***ing Met police force - rather than show any empathy?

Sad that, as football fans, we can't appreciate that most other teams' fans are pretty much the same as us, and that we've always, always got to go with petty rivalry and prejudices.

Er, no, I said that. Because, yes, that's what I think. It's why I posted it on an internet message board. So far, predictably, we have had people saying the tweet is outrageous, that people should be sacked, that they should be in court, that heads should roll, that it isn't innocent.

Yet not one person will come on here and say that that tweet was a Hillsborough reference - because they know it wasn't. So if the tweet wasn't about Hillsborough, why the fuck are people getting offended about it?

I don't hate Liverpool, I don't call them bin dippers, I haven't mentioned candles or Heysel. Hillsborough was a national disgrace, and as a football fan who travelled the country in those days, it could have been me.

But the tweet wasn't about Hillsborough. People being offended by it are just looking for a reason to be offended.

I think people are jumping the gun here or/and want a ACAB rant.

Do we have any proof that the police meant any malice? Were they just putting out a message on behalf of a sponsor and just warning people not rush to the turnstiles in the health and safety way?

You could very well say we are being insensitive towards the two mags were died in the MH17 crash by flying a plane over SJP!

Er, no, I said that. Because, yes, that's what I think. It's why I posted it on an internet message board. So far, predictably, we have had people saying the tweet is outrageous, that people should be sacked, that they should be in court, that heads should roll, that it isn't innocent.

Yet not one person will come on here and say that that tweet was a Hillsborough reference - because they know it wasn't. So if the tweet wasn't about Hillsborough, why the fuck are people getting offended about it?

I don't hate Liverpool, I don't call them bin dippers, I haven't mentioned candles or Heysel. Hillsborough was a national disgrace, and as a football fan who travelled the country in those days, it could have been me.

But the tweet wasn't about Hillsborough. People being offended by it are just looking for a reason to be offended.

"Er, no", it's the way you followed the sentence with 'is that what you think?' that kind of led me to believe you were attributing that to me. The words 'you' and 'think' tend to do that.

Like I said earlier - it's at best insensitive and at worst malicious. I have no real proof, so I can't say either way. But then, neither do you.

But surely it's not hard to see that the words police, semi-final, Liverpool and don't rush could be associated with that? In their role, they probably should be aware of sensitivities. Certain subjects - like the horrific deaths of 96 people - will always be emotive. Not sure why that's so hard for you to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back