Mid 90s Ku club

I remember towards the end they had Cain Dingle off Emmerdale doing a DJ spot. Then a few weeks later, Naboo off the Mighty Boosh. Felt like only a couple of weeks after that, and it was gone.

There were rumours they were buying Pizzaz for months prior to it closing.

A reduced crowd made it more palatable.

I remember towards the end they had Cain Dingle off Emmerdale doing a DJ spot. Then a few weeks later, Naboo off the Mighty Boosh. Felt like only a couple of weeks after that, and it was gone.
I still can’t believe a whole generation of people who’d gone there every week just went “nah that’s it for us” all at once.
I guess the hike to high st was too much once the council moved the route away from high st, and you could go to 7even for free. Or Indy if you were under 25. But people get old. 7even is a youth club as well nowadays.

Last edited:
I still can’t believe a whole generation of people who’d gone there every week just went “nah that’s it for us” all at once.
I guess the hike to high st was too much once the council moved the route away from high st, and you could go to 7even for free. Or Indy if you were under 25. But people get old. 7even is a youth club as well nowadays.
I occasionally went in Ku later on, not loads but it certainly seemed to go kaput when they opened the other floor downstairs. But people change, attitudes change and time moves on mate.

Class reading through this thread. That Ku Club playlist on Spotify will be getting a run out on the drive to Middlesbrough for me this morning.
its amazing that we managed to "dance" to many of those tunes - great records but not what you would associate with a nightclub- in suppose that is what made it unique to us.

One of the plans we used to have was finish work at Boulevard on a Saturday, have a couple of drinks in the lock in then head over Ku about 12.30.

We'd then do half hour off walking ground and just looking for cash on the floor. Most weeks we'd clean up about £100 each, was a nice little earner to add to our wages. Free drinks then back to Boulevard for a lock in. Taxi used to be paid for home as well so basically a free night and a 100 quid bonus for heading to Ku for a few hours.
alreet aldridge prior

Went most of the 80s into the early 90s and although the music changed it was always a bit different to most other local places. Even used to get a bit Goth at one time.

Anyone know when it first opened? I think we first started going when my mate worked behind the bar in The Gannet (although it might have changed it's name by then) but can't remember how we came upon it otherwise. He was a big Doors fan so loved the fact they used to get played sometimes.

Quite a few used to go the Mecca on a Friday which was interesting as there was a Rock night downstairs and a fairly normal disco in the smaller room upstairs. You could dance to Sylvester and Motorhead within quarter of an hour.

Went most of the 80s into the early 90s and although the music changed it was always a bit different to most other local places. Even used to get a bit Goth at one time.

Anyone know when it first opened? I think we first started going when my mate worked behind the bar in The Gannet (although it might have changed it's name by then) but can't remember how we came upon it otherwise. He was a big Doors fan so loved the fact they used to get played sometimes.

Quite a few used to go the Mecca on a Friday which was interesting as there was a Rock night downstairs and a fairly normal disco in the smaller room upstairs. You could dance to Sylvester and Motorhead within quarter of an hour.
Ku Club opened around 1981. I remember my mate showing us his membership card at school which at the time was beige with brown lettering. Some time later when I was a member I had a black laminated card with computer style writing. I still have it in my aforementioned nightclubbing wallet!

Great place for me, would come up for home games and stay the weekend with cousins, we would stand up against the brick wall on the left as you walked in, toilets were shocking, music was magic ,the bouncers didn't mess about, great times

Great place for me, would come up for home games and stay the weekend with cousins, we would stand up against the brick wall on the left as you walked in, toilets were shocking, music was magic ,the bouncers didn't mess about, great times

they must have been in fear of their lives when some wet, 17 year old, 8 stone jarvis cocker lookalikes from ashbrooke showed up ;)

they must have been in fear of their lives when some wet, 17 year old, 8 stone jarvis cocker lookalikes from ashbrooke showed up ;)
Remember the bouncers pulling the shutter down at the top of the stairs when someone in the queue started singing “Seaham Harbour” and loads of us joined in…..not sure why, I was from Doxy :)

The little baldy fella with a tash (George?) appeared and said either those that were singing left the queue, or nobody got in…..iirc neebody left and everyone got in :)

Fair few footy lads got in there.i see them pulling leather gloves on ,dragged a lad out by his feet ,his head hit the stairs on the way down ( steep as we know) bastards

Back