Nexus 7 running Lollipop 5.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated my Nexus 5 from KitKat to Lollipop and it was shit. Wouldn't connect to new wifi networks, would be slow coming back to the home screen, web browser would crash. Loads of annoying little things.

I think there was a problem with the install, I read up on it and apparently Google Play Services can fuck up. I did a factory reset and reinstall it's been much better

I've had no bother with mine. Only downloaded the newer version last week mind so it could be that the version they gave me had the bugs fixed.

I've had no bother with mine. Only downloaded the newer version last week mind so it could be that the version they gave me had the bugs fixed.

Mine only did the update last week as well and was running like shite after... I've managed to get it back to being somewhat useable by uninstalling a lot of apps in case something was conflicting it, and disabling all that google now shite. Still not running anywhere as well as it was on kitkat though.

I was always amused by the android operating system names... however when you're having conversations about how you were better off on kitkats than lollypops it gets a bit ridiculous

My Nexus 7 (2012) has had the upgrade. I am having loads of problems with it hanging and apps failing and wifi dropping out, but oddly enough no problems on this site.

However, I haven't upgraded Chrome for ages (running 38.0.2125.509) so I am wondering if it is a issue with the newer versions of Android Chrome.

Been thinking about the Nexus 9 for a while but its a little to big for what I want. The 7 is just a nice size.

Has anyone upgraded from the 7 to the 9? Worth it?​

I "downgraded" from a 10" tablet to the Nexus 7. The screen was way better on the larger one, it was probably more useable, but the 7" is just so much lighter and easier to carry around.

Mine is running OK'ish but if I want to copy and paste something I get a box saying 'you're connection to this site is not private' ? What's all that about??

It is correct, anything you send to RTG is not encrypted in transit (we are using 'http', not 'https" protocol). Google seem to be trying to enforce this since they switched to https themselves.

https has historically been used by banking and ecommerce sites, but is becoming more widespread and encrypts messages between your browser and the website. It also normally verifies that the site is the one it says it is by using a third party certificate.

It would be possible for me to pay for a "secure" certificate and switch the site to allow encrypted posts, but the biggest downside of this would be when people linked to external pictures in their posts these would not be displayed by most browsers unless they were also hosted on a "secure" site.

I "downgraded" from a 10" tablet to the Nexus 7. The screen was way better on the larger one, it was probably more useable, but the 7" is just so much lighter and easier to carry around.

It is correct, anything you send to RTG is not encrypted in transit (we are using 'http', not 'https" protocol). Google seem to be trying to enforce this since they switched to https themselves.

https has historically been used by banking and ecommerce sites, but is becoming more widespread and encrypts messages between your browser and the website. It also normally verifies that the site is the one it says it is by using a third party certificate.

It would be possible for me to pay for a "secure" certificate and switch the site to allow encrypted posts, but the biggest downside of this would be when people linked to external pictures in their posts these would not be displayed by most browsers unless they were also hosted on a "secure" site.
So it will send ok you just have to click 'copy url' , but it isn't secure(which I assume it wasn't before?) ?

My 2012 Nexus was running like shite since the 5.0 update, even after waiting weeks for a fix (5.0.2 update) it was still crap.
When I looked on the forums it looks like there are widespread problems running Android 5 on a 2012 Nexus. Looks to me like it wasn't tested properly and as a developer myself I have to say I would be ashamed to release such crappy code. The cynical side of me wonders if this is a marketing ploy to get everyone to buy new tablets.
In future I will never upgrade major versions of Android without waiting a couple of weeks and before checking forums for problems.

However, completely unrelated (I think), my nexus has now died and will not switch on
Try holding the power on button down and keeping it down for 15 secs or more. This apparantly is a common problem and this worked for a seemingly dead nexus.

Try holding the power on button down and keeping it down for 15 secs or more. This apparantly is a common problem and this worked for a seemingly dead nexus.
Already tried that, along with holding power and volume buttons to get reset menu.
Somebody suggested popping the back off to check for loose connection so that'll be next

I retrograded mine back to 4.3 after 4.4 f*cked up bluetooth tethering. No intention of changing it again, if it aint bust why fix it

The wife's has been in a bootloop since I tried to install it, downloaded a tool kit onto the laptop but it's still fucked.
Lost patience with it now and stuck it in a drawer.
What is a bootloop? Is it where your nexus shuts down, you turn it on, and then seconds later it switches off again and it can take about 12 to 15 goes to turn on again (and to remain on)?

Already tried that, along with holding power and volume buttons to get reset menu.
Somebody suggested popping the back off to check for loose connection so that'll be next
Try connecting it to your laptop. Battery died on mine and this was the only way to get it to turn on.

Whip the back off, you can do it easily enough with your fingernails, disconnect the battery and then reconnect.

What is a bootloop? Is it where your nexus shuts down, you turn it on, and then seconds later it switches off again and it can take about 12 to 15 goes to turn on again (and to remain on)?

Stuck in a repetitive loop, take out battery no good.
Replaced it with a Polaroid from Asda for £60 with a 12 month gaunrentee. Only really use it for showbox

Nah, completely knackered now. The connector from the power off strip has come away from the board.
Thinking about getting an Asus Memo pad 7 - any comments?

Lollipop has just been made available for HTC One M7, it seems stable for now.

I've sacked off KitKat and Lollipop altogether and just gone for a Yorkie on my Kindle Sweet, uploading the DibDab and PushPop apps. Also on my Kindle I've put the latest Smarties and Double Decker's on, the former being very handy in the pub quiz. Not running like treacle yet, and everything seems like smooth peanut butter right now.

Stuck in a repetitive loop, take out battery no good.
Replaced it with a Polaroid from Asda for £60 with a 12 month gaunrentee. Only really use it for showbox

Showbox have ruined their own app.

No cast option for movies anymore and enforced use of the really shit MX player. Yet shows still cast no problem and allow you to use the internal player still. What the fuck is that all about?

The developers need to get their shit together.

The biggest abortion of a software update in the history of mobile devices. The only good thing you can say is that Maps don't direct you off a cliff when sending you to the local Asda.

The biggest abortion of a software update in the history of mobile devices. The only good thing you can say is that Maps don't direct you off a cliff when sending you to the local Asda.

They just almost start wars....

It's absolutely shite (5.0.1) on Galaxy note 4 as well.

Random slow downs, rubbish battery, contacts keeps crashing amongst other things.

Nice one Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back