Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its not just people with pace its players with ability who cause opposition problems, good on the ball and fast. Doesnt matter who we play we will cause them problems with these players in the team

I reckon if this year goes well we'll get Yedlin on another years loan
Johnson will move into a more central position as the season and his age progresses
A winger per summer and hopefully another rapid Dutch lad is on our radar

Hmmm not sure. Henderson, Richardson and Meyler didn't have loads of pace for my memory. I would say we have more very past players now but some real plodders to even it out. Agree about power!

Richardson was absolute lightning! And Henderson had some energy on him

Not even close

Richardson was lightning fast.

So was Jones though if iirc he wasn't actually fast just had long legs that covered the ground quickly

Yeah Jones was quick like. Forgot about him

Richardson was absolute lightning! And Henderson had some energy on him

Not even close

Henderson certainly had energy but nowhere near the pace of some guys we have now

PVA is very quick. Problem is though, he's usually going in a different direction from everyone else
The beauty of pace, though, is that if he happens to luck into the correct direction, he'll get there first.

Whereas a slow player has nee chance, no matter which direction he chooses to run.

Yeah Jones was quick like. Forgot about him

Henderson certainly had energy but nowhere near the pace of some guys we have now

Welbeck, Bent, Gyan, Campbell

We have Lens and who else in attacking positions? Borini has a bit of acceleration but not the same.

Don't understand why people are so eager to shoot the OP down, they are right, we do now have a few players with pace, a few more than we did last season, and those saying Borini, Defoe etc aren't that pacey, they're still much quicker than our previous options:

Defoe > Altidore
PVA > Nothing or Dossena
Lens > Nothing or Wickham or Buckley
Yedlin > Jones
Borini > Graham or Wickham
Matthews > Reveilleire

Although i'm not saying they're all better (they definitely are, apart from Yedlin/Matthews who i'm currently undecided on), they are all definitely much pacier than our previous options, so by the OPs definition, yes we have injected some pace and have a 'few' more pacier players.

For years we've been too slow, too immobile and too lightweight. Even at their worst, quick and mobile lads will still contribute purely because they're quick and mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back