plumbers advice

Squat

Striker
We have a glow worm micron 50ff boiler in the kitchen for the water/heating and a hot water tank upstairs. the heating has stopped working but the hot water is fine.
Tried switching off and on, etc.
Is it the pressure? i cant see any pressure gauge anywhere or where to top it up if it is. absolutely nothing next to the boiler or up in the cupboard where the tank is looks like a pressure gauge. there's a few valves but i've no idea if one of them tops up the heating.
i've checked a couple of the radiators for an air lock and dont seem to have one, could it be that and i'll have to check them all?

We have a glow worm micron 50ff boiler in the kitchen for the water/heating and a hot water tank upstairs. the heating has stopped working but the hot water is fine.
Tried switching off and on, etc.
Is it the pressure? i cant see any pressure gauge anywhere or where to top it up if it is. absolutely nothing next to the boiler or up in the cupboard where the tank is looks like a pressure gauge. there's a few valves but i've no idea if one of them tops up the heating.
i've checked a couple of the radiators for an air lock and dont seem to have one, could it be that and i'll have to check them all?
If boiler fires for water then the pressure should be fine. Possibly the motorised valve not engaging the heating??? Someone who knows more will probably be able to diagnose better.

As myself is a plumber, as a matter of fact, there’s no pressure gauge valve on gravity fed system. It sounds like the Zone valve are not working.

Last edited:
As myself is a plumber, as a matter of fact, there’s no pressure gauge valve on gravity fed system. It sounds like the Zone valve are not working.
ta. we happen to have a plumber coming later in the week for something else. think we'll have to get him to look at this and have nee heating till then.

ta. we happen to have a plumber coming later in the week for something else. think we'll have to get him to look at this and have nee heating till then.
I don't know how mechanically/ DIY competent you are? but on some of the older valves you used to be able to move it manually. ie you move it across to heating, but then have to remember to move it back to heat your water.

Disclaimer- if you are useless at such things, don't touch it.

Do you have a motorised zone valve like this?

Logon or register to see this image

The motor may have given up, they don't last forever, or the valve may have seized. They usually have a manual lever to open the valve if the motor is gone (small level of the front of the image above).

If the valve itself has seized then you're probably going to need a plumber.

Easy to replace!

The motor may have given up, they don't last forever, or the valve may have seized. They usually have a manual lever to open the valve if the motor is gone (small level of the front of the image above).

Easy to replace! Screw head off and put wiring in the same as the previous head

yep. the lever at the front isnt moving like. its this one
Drayton 27101SX 3 Port Motorised Valve 22mm 22mm Compression - Screwfix
look like you can just pop off the motor and turn the actual valve on the pipe manually. might work till i get it fixed

Last edited:
well me heating is on. the lever did push over i was just a bit reticent to force it and its working. doubt it'll push back now seems completely stuck so i'll have to pop the motor off and turn it back with pliers i think to get hot water on.
cheers all.

I don't know how mechanically/ DIY competent you are? but on some of the older valves you used to be able to move it manually. ie you move it across to heating, but then have to remember to move it back to heat your water.

Disclaimer- if you are useless at such things, don't touch it.
years back used to take the cover off mine and trip a switch

well me heating is on. the lever did push over i was just a bit reticent to force it and its working. doubt it'll push back now seems completely stuck so i'll have to pop the motor off and turn it back with pliers i think to get hot water on.
cheers all.
A while ago mine stuck, take the top off the housing use a Flathead screwdriver to push it across, spray it some Wd40 or similar, eventually it freed itself.
Worth a try.

Back